aaa 3/4 house - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: 3/4 house

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 02-Jan-00  @  06:54 PM   -   3/4 house

eliipsis

Link?:  No link
File?:  File

yyaha.mid

hey all, this is me, and my basic 3/4 house riddim... please tell me what you think, morph, change, embelish it, and use it...i am trying to get past the 4/4 of house...anyway...yea, this is for us 3/4 lovewrs out there...lets get a rythm goin...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/39             22-Jan-00  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: 3/4 house

paradiddle16

File?:  No file

I think it's all relative how you ear things and how they are written. For instance, Just in 3/4, you can easily imply many different rythms. For instance, try this is in 3/4

x xx xx xx x Clap your hands

If you listen to the hands, it sounds like a shuffle.
Try doing this drum beat on top of that:
x xx xx xx x Hi-hat
x x snare
x x x x x bass-drum

(i wrote in 4/4 triplets instead of 12/8).

It's sort of a rythmic illusion.

Here's a gogo-groove (Ricky Wellman inspired)
You must swing the notes from 16th notes to 16th notes triplets (or in between). Play with a funky feeling and slam hard.

Message 22/39             27-Jan-00  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: 3/4 house

Ellipsis

Link?:  Link

that confused the hell outta me...can you write a small midi of it, and post it so i can see it on the piano roll (i am very visual, even tho i'm a drummer...wierd)

Message 23/39             28-Jan-00  @  03:45 AM   -   RE: 3/4 house

ModAsBlue

3/4 House eh???

Well, I must admit that I've experimented....

But I've never heard any 3/4 house viable for actual play on a dancefloor....and house is the genre of electronic music most closely tied to the dancefloor. (And of course I don't mean that there is no intelligent house nor do I mean that no one listens to house music at home...that's absurd...what I mean is that you rarely hear an Orb or a Squarepusher track at a party save special remixes.) I go to a lot of parties and I've never heard a track played in an actual party environment....and this is with good reason....you can get a "groove" with 3/4, of course, but most people aren't comfortable with it. Hardfloor has some really good 3/4 acid on this album I have, but it's definitely not party-worthy.

Also, House IS Disco. It is totally just disco's reincarnation. I don't care what formal argument someone can wage against me, it's all just disco!!! Ok, some timbres are different, acid doesn't really remind one of disco and tek-house has a different aesthetic....

But house is disco and in the era of the Sex Pistols (Limp Bizkit/Korn) I'm definitely wearing a leisure suit (rave pants) and listening to the Bee Gees (Gene Farris) ....

But then....hmmm....hard techno and jungle are way more punk rock than those stupid rock bands out there.... hmmm....where are my loyalties....
time to go to bed..

Message 24/39             29-Jan-00  @  12:38 AM   -   RE: 3/4 house

Ellipsis

i thot the high hats were different between the two...and there are melodic implications as well that differ the two...but you must remember house is just disco evolved, but it is it's own thing...

Message 25/39             29-Jan-00  @  05:05 AM   -   RE: 3/4 house

R-Tek

One thing woth bearing in mind with huose music though is that its made 4 DJs. Now I play jungle (in my studio, I`m a bedroom DJ heh heh) and mixing in a 3/4 rythym aint a problem cos ryhtymically jungle is a lot less rigid so as long as I keep the first beat of the bar on top of the first beat on the tune I`m mixing into then it sounds cool. But because of Houses general 4 to the floor beat, mixing a 3/4 tune in could b very problematic - the first and last beat of the 3/4 would b phrased correctly, but the middle beat I should imagine will cause problems and prolly kill the mix stone dead. So the DJ would have 2 chop and segue the tune 2 avoid looking like a prick.

Message 26/39             30-Jan-00  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: 3/4 house

Ellipsis

you mean dj's actually having to do some work??? no way (heehehee, j/k)

playability is a concern...thanks for pointing that out...could you maybe post a 3/4 jungle riddim for all of us jungle-unaware folks to listen to?

Message 27/39             30-Jan-00  @  07:49 AM   -   RE: 3/4 house

R-Tek

I think K actually covered the jungle 3/4 in another thread - either "D+B forum" or "creating beats", I`m not too couped up as 2 the more interesting time signatures, I had a stab at 7/8 but goddit horribly wrong so I`m just concentrating on boring old 4/4 as my groundwork. Definately check Ks 3/4 piece though cos it was excellent and informative.

Message 28/39             30-Jan-00  @  07:55 AM   -   RE: 3/4 house

R-Tek

Apologies, its actually in the "Jungle Beats" thread on this board - geddit 2 show topics in the last 90 days and you`ll find it - enlightening stuff, 2 me at least.

Message 29/39             30-Jan-00  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: 3/4 house

Ellipsis

thx

Message 30/39             31-Jan-00  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: 3/4 house

the butt fucker

who gives a fuck 6/8, 3/4....
as long as the beat has some type of human feel to it-
its all a question of expression!
unless your some kind of robotic dumb mutha fuk.
its only off beat if its a mistake

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)