aaa computer vs. hardware - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: computer vs. hardware

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  05:51 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

agonie

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

oh dam, hit the return button, randomly
sorry guys...
let us talk about this topic:
in my opinion is using computer programs for creating samples (soft synths) not very useful.
1. for making music you need an INSTRUMENT you can rely to personally, appearence, functions vitalise your mind, a flat, shivering screen harms your creatrivity..
2. i don't like monitors! i have got a doepfer schaltwerk for composing in midi, much better than cubase

o.k. i agree: sequencing on a computer is standart, you have got better support and more offers.
i started to make music with my amiga (protracker!), still one of my cherriest machines, i do not doubt wheter it is easier to get a cheerful result on your comp than with your soundmachine, it is!

i am asking myself right now if music isn't in any realtion to machines, probably....

maybe i just this confusing tap is just a reaction on the current developement of the music market.

yet i am sure you cannot reproduce the sound of a music machine with a comp. (hmm..pulsar...letting the hardware in your co). the reason is as simply as hard to believe: hardware-problem, computer simulate, m-machines (of course! analogue babies, i love them) produce!

it could be that i am talking a lot of shit..in your perspective... i know what i am saying is true for me.. so let me have your comments...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/48             12-Jul-00  @  10:01 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

k

um... a music shop ??? - personally i think everyone should have a cheap s/h hardware sequencer... dump the track over to that for final playback/mix... then you get a titeness mac's and pc's cant get so far

Message 22/48             13-Jul-00  @  02:48 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

gs

really? i know the timing has to be tight but is that really neccessary? are you trying to tell me you can hear the difference between logic running midi only and a hardware sequencer?

oh hangon, i guess if u are recording to a computer at the same time as playing the midi stuff (same machine) that could sloppify the timing cause it would be multitasking, makes sense i guess.

how about an atari... or a 486 with Win 3x?

Message 23/48             13-Jul-00  @  07:20 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

k

of course you can... even on straight playback.. ahh... like old 12 bit samplers the hardware sequencer is don and will never die... check out Lagowski's/SETI's article (articles section)... he sequences on a MAC, then mixes from a hardware unit... the beauty is they can be has as cheap as 20 or 30 quid for like an old QX7 OR QX21... you can simply dump the mac/pc contents over then sync-up the s/w sequencer is there is audio parts on the s/w seq' tracks at all...

and atari's RUUUULLLLEEE.... i dont think i'd feel confident to do an 8 hour live set with a pc, but i've done that in a feild working off a petrol generator with the trusty old 1040, and hey, it even rained at one point (ok, we WERE under a large tree) -

Message 24/48             02-Aug-00  @  12:53 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

nunchucks

like it really matters
i've heard good stuff made on casio home keyboards
all equipment has strenths and weaknesses
knowing how to exploit and avoid these is half the
joy
if you love what your doing it doesn't matter
as long as your creating a groove
that really all you should care
not if your going the be the next big thing
okay i'll get off my soapbox now
sorry

Message 25/48             02-Aug-00  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

bokken

seen

Message 26/48             18-Aug-00  @  11:20 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

Tomek S.

I agree with nunchucks here.
Aphex Twin uses computer exclusively these days, and I wouldn't say he's not creative, or that he's music is not personal. Great classical composeres often wrote with just a piece of paper, same with contemporary composers. Creativity comes from the inside.

Message 27/48             18-Aug-00  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

Jasper

that's all very well, there are some other artists who are doing the same... erm? tobais shmitt (or however yo spell his name).

but, it don't seem my idea of fun.. and that would show in my tracks.. I need that equipment to give me inspiration.. a pc won't do it for me on it's own.

Message 28/48             20-Aug-00  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

Tomek S.

Sure, to each his own they say.

Message 29/48             20-Aug-00  @  07:40 PM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

k

all i mean about hardware sequencers for mixing playback is their clock is so tight, it really can make a big difference to a club track

Message 30/48             24-Aug-00  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

jaswho1

Link?: Link

I agree with K here man.....the timing on a hardware
sequencer is tight as hell because the ppqn is very low
as with most drum machines... think about it my old
mmt8 is 96 ppqn and my first cubaselite ver. on a
macplus in 1994 was 480 ppqn(have no idea what it is
today)......on the hardware units the notes fall right
in the pockets...there's no serious mutlitasking or
buffering going on... oh and no crashing for the most
part and losing tracks and your mind when it
happens...how many times has your shit freezed after
working on a track for a while and you just walk away
as it reboots and lose the inspirations in
anger....!!!!!!@@@#%!!I too check out tracks on line
and the quants are off alot or the quants are different
in the same sequence I.E. kick-Q16 snr-Q16T hat-Q32
fill-Q32T bass-Q16T you get the pisture that shit will
catch up and to a rythmic ear shit starts falling off
trust me I can HEAR IT......Computers are amazing I'm
convinced BUT this music thing is a hard beast to tame
and the artist or musican is even harder to please...I
do beleive for dance music or similar production style
music has to be spot on and should be spot on...drum
machines and HW sequencers do

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 48 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)