aaa New soundset for the NOVA ???? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 13-Aug-01  @  07:07 PM   -   New soundset for the NOVA ????

system85

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

The "total.mid"-file,
coming up with the new OS,
is not a new soundset
just some new sounds are added to the old,
maybe some are optimized for the new OS...

I donīt know why other companies like
Access are able to produce really cool
Banks for their new OS
(the Cosmic Dancer Set is fantastic),
but after so a long time no really
new soundset was made by Novation...

The support of Novation is far away
from Access or Waldorf.
Its hard to say but its true.
I know your arguments, "make your own sounds"
and bla bla,
but I have no time for this kind of work,
I need some more banks with different sounds,
which I finally rework for the song,
but I like to be inspired by new sounds.

Maybe someone can give me some more sounds,
I have not a lot to trade,
but I would be happy if you can give me some more.
Best regards,
bene

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/30             10-Sep-01  @  01:35 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Rikard

Link?:  No link

K, i would really like to hear some of your music. Not because i wanna critisize you. But u seem to understand the true meaning of trance. I love to dance and trip to real psycho goa trance, and i also try to make it myself. Please let us hear ure work. I have just bougth my Nova and im very intressted in hearing some real hi quality trance made with the synth.
/Rikard

Message 22/30             10-Sep-01  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

Link?: Link

i dont make trance mate... so there's nowt to hear unless I made a trance track specialy for you   - I just coming from 'trance' as what it is & it's history too as a punter, and cant see ANY connection between this banging repetitive aggresive strident stuff and the name 'trance' it's like a complete misnomer to me as what some NOW call Trance has not a shred of elements that made 'Trance' be called 'Trance' in the first place -

I found a old Solar Quest tape today, acid trance ambient vibe sorta around the time when trance was getting in step - it kinda took me back to the emphasis of what I understand trance to be, and those early foundations haven't changed much cos 'Trance is Trance' you can't bung up the tempo, change the whole style, take away the whole quality & vibe, adding banging totaly '4 on the floor' drums which have more in common with hardcore or hardhouse than even hard-trance and still call it 'trance' that's rediculous to me.

and the patterns now in so-called 'trance' - ha!... they are crap so often cos they are so square on the beat - they have been shunted into second place to fit with the bog-standard composition style which is NOT trance - the whole point of trance was it evolved out of hardware arpeggiators onboard synths and was about patterns being sync'd out of their context which DID result in that genre's quirky trancey moves and sounds & offbeat mind-twisting patterns... but the stuff now is just sequenced 'as-is' in the box along with the rest of the track all in the same time signature and on the same starting beat etc more like a classical composition where the sole relationships are mostly rather un-original basic harmonic relationships, and it takes away trance's other signature - a constant key with things moving around it with harmonic & timing 'relationships'... not the same at all to my ears. Also, the Drums - trance was tribal and embraced all that as well as european tribal & celtic beats etc - drums are also emphasised and one can dance alternating to tracks which emphasised mebbe on one the synth parts, then the set would drop down and you'd be off on a journey to some evolving drum track which would build & build and eventualy lead you into a new synth part peak and a new groove etc - now what people call 'trance' has got not one shred of that at all -

as far as this discussion on sounds, I cant see it, cos trance requires not a huge width of pallette of sounds imo, it's about the way it is put together i think. People bang on about VA's all the time like they are the be-all & end-all to it, but i'd rather have a k2000 to make trance to be frank if I had to choose one synth, NOT a VA at all... i'd add a VA second and use Rebirth for anything like 'slided 303 sound' parts etc.....

To me what 'that' other style is, is synth-pop, that HAPPENS to have borrowed it's cliche's from the last three years club music, but why call it 'trance' ? - anyways, it sounds probably 'old farty' and i do/did aknowledge the new 'trance' style of course, but the difference between a good track in that genre and the mass of 'trying hard but dont really know what I'm coming from' tracks
is huge... anyways - it's history now cos that's all done & gone and things has moved on - i just think that even THAT type of trance is done right still has 'trance' in it and most of the stuff on the www & the commercial european stations doesn't. - We need a new name for it cos it aint trance at all, no way.... but i would say that despite what I'm typing don't think I am stuck in some past thing when trance was at a peak... time do move on yes, but to have 'trance' (the word/the name) in the title surely it has to have some 'trance' in it!? - trance as it is now imo has done more to turn people OFF dancemusic than anything else - it has become the whipping-boy for people who hate dance and let's face it, if that style represents our flag then fuck me it's a piss-poor showing and people can take the piss cos as music it is so retardley simplistic and without any soul it deserves the piss to be taken,,, it's become your worst nightmare as to what sequencers and synths would bring... robotic soul-less childishly simple musical garbage with as much depth as a newspaper & which 'musicaly' sounds about on the level of musical-box's or music-playing toys.... it's a triumph of production/tools over content!

anyways blah blah rabbit.... it seems anyways that there is a good healthy market for the resurgence of 3rd party sound creators again then...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 23/30             11-Sep-01  @  10:27 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

anyways, i'm just rambling - it doesnt matter a shit what i think, like i said it's just an opinion, i often talk utter bollox  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 24/30             12-Sep-01  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Rikard

Link?:  No link

K, i think ure 100% right in what ure saying. Trance is not trance any more, Psytrance on the other hand is the new name for what use to be trance. Do u think those acts that categorize them self as psychedelic also forgot what trance is all about? Im talking 'bout groups like hux flux, hallucinogen and more. Do u really think that the original trance scene is history? I dont. There still is alot of new music produced in the same vibe as of the old days. Speakin' of the old days, what old school is it u call 'real' trance? when did that genre die?

Message 25/30             12-Sep-01  @  05:01 AM     Edit: 12-Sep-01  |  06:24 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

it didnt... psy-trance has been around for years before the 'new trance' appeared tho. - i know that reaL TRANCE it is alive & healthy yes.

Message 26/30             13-Sep-01  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

thought you might find this old solar quest tape interesting as we're talking about trance - old but gold.

Message 27/30             15-Sep-01  @  10:47 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

blacktrax

Produced with Rebirth ? ;-))

Message 28/30             16-Sep-01  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

panama

File?:  [image]

[image file]

well said kilo! I couldn't say it any better...

IMO, A lot of that euro trance is dull, but it has a
strong point: it earns money, it covers the
masses with utter souless shit, and it sells
itslef to itself. Its Like a virus that keeps on
going and doesn't die. All it needs, is a cure,
and then its gone... I'll say, out of the masses
of this piccolo/piano sound, there have been
some really good songs. For starters, Des
Mitchell's music. He made some really good
'trance' music... his patterns evolved, he
wasn't afraid to combine minor notes, the
music was like a art... it existed from start to
end... It could actually bring a trance apon. It
had high points, and it had low points... BUT,
as you go beyond his music (Des Mitchell),
you begin to hear the present sound of the
year 001. His music was sooo perfect, people
began to replicate it collectively. MP3.com is
the perfect example of this! Its all over the
board, and I'll tell you, from all this replication,
there is no room for pioneering... thus this
damn virus begins, shitty sameness, no
difference, and it all becomes lame... BUT, I'll
have to say, some of the melodies are quite
good, and there is alot of music making talent
behind the sound. But the approach has to be
different for some sort of origianlty to take
place. There is nothing like saying: "I know
who did this tune!" Lets pick up this album! I
want that single, IT stands out from all the
other music!

With electronic music, its all about the
approach and how you interpet the reality of
your present state... actually most music is
like this... thats why emotion is carried
through... Leave it to Mozart to stay leveled and
still bring emotion.

Anyway, System85, I'm not directly bashing
your music. I'm telling you that your approach
is too much like every other present
euro-trance producer... You see things the
same way as everyone else does... This is
good for a stage and $$$ moment product.
But, this type of life cant exist for a long time
with sameness and no diversity.

I'm no elitist, I have no singles, I don't even
have a album nor a record... I can't even
equate and create enough music to describe
they way I feel... But, I've been doing the same
thing since I was 13 years old (19 now)... I've
dug enough information to build a definite
philosophy in music. And this idea, of
sameness, and difference is everywhere!

I guess it all sheds light into wether your
determined enough to take risks. As I can see
Mr. 85, you are determined to take risks... First.
you bought a $ 1000 USD synthesizer, and ya
prolly got a bunch of gear that costed over 3
grand! All ya need now is to push the risk even
further.

Message 29/30             17-Sep-01  @  05:19 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

yes ok, but i dont have such negative feeling towards that genre when an occaisional good track comes along, which i have heard ... besides some people like it.. personaly if i decided i needed the money i could have a go at that like many experienced tech's could cos we would know how to reproduce that style - so sure you could do it for a money spinner why not... i'm quite tempted myself   heh heh - i mean after all if you could dedicate two weeks per month to that and still make the same money as fill-in work then why not...

in fact - why dont we have a 'euro trance' contest and we all have to make a track in that style like system85's - what do you think - could be a laugh  

Message 30/30             17-Sep-01  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Stefan

while we're discussing about trance: I saw system85's nova in an auction...

I only mention this because for some people it seems to be important that there is a big choice of ready made sounds available.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)