aaa Are new synths boring !! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

14-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Are new synths boring !!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 18-Dec-01  @  02:32 AM   -   Are new synths boring !!

k

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

this and other synth forums are quite quiet. personaly nothing much has happened to excite me for a while hardware wise since the indie houses established themselves over the mid 90's- do you think synths now are getting boring?

is it lack of imagination? - or have the manufacturers really just exhausted practical new forms of combinations or new angles for established synthesis?

if there is nothing left to be 'new' in the way VA or FM or Romplers were, then whats left for manufacturers such as korg, roland, e-mu, ensonique, yamaha etc...

some cool little bargain boxes have come like the ER & ES from korg... any other nominations for cool reent/new stuff?

or.. si this a symptom of updatable OS's?.. another angle.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/41             09-Jan-02  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

99devils

Link?: Link

In the case of the k5000, tools that allow you to resynthesize from wav files, some formant filter templates, some additive templates would have been nice.. Think about if that synth had the ability to do formant morphs between two resynth'ed wavs! If you ignore the built in sampling then you get to build sound from partials. Maybe that makes some kind of intuitive sense to you but...

Why do you think analog and VA are still around, yet FM languishes? And a lot of the FM stuff you do hear is just presets, or slightly tweaked presets?

-Craig

-Craig

Message 22/41             09-Jan-02  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

nomad

i don't disagree with you, one of the main reasons for analog's success is that there are large scale changes you can make with predictable results (filter cutoff, volume, pitch, waveform). but even there some 'knowledge' is needed - do you know how to create a string from scratch? if you didn't know how, and were presented an analog or virtual analog that was completely 'blank', could you do it? or brass? or snares? in any case, with an analog you CAN decide what you want and target it, but it also works well to just tweak things and see where you end up.

other types aren't like that... FM, one knob can make large changes, but these aren't necessarily logical for most people. the K5000s had most of the same sort of 'large changes' as analog, so didn't offer much new.

however... if you use sound diver doesn't it have all the stuff you want craig? i am hoping anyway that when i do get a k5000, that this is one of those cases where a CS degree will come in useful   sound diver does do some sort of resynthesis, though it's not supposed to work THAT well, it should break something down into a representative 'frequency spectrum' which may be good enough to do the sort of morphing you mention.

but in general... other types do require you to have an idea of 'where you are going'.

one 'end run' around this is the 'spectral' waves present on both the virus and the nords (at least the modular). even better is to use the wavetables as sort of an 'additive primitive', since you can create any sort of spectral progression to the 61 waves in the wavetable; perhaps the limited resynthesis of sound diver will be useful here (if i can ever get it to work with my midi card i'll try it  . once you have a few of these done, you can use them sort of like 'custom oscillators', and tweak sort of like analog.

one thing i am hoping the k5000s will do, perhaps with its formant filters, perhaps with its envelopes, is to be able to assign one or two knobs to make these kind of 'large scale' changes that aren't just 'brighten, darken' or 'louden, soften'. it already has the 'odd/even' and 'high/low' knobs which i found sort of interesting. i didn't really like the raw sound of the k5000s that much, but this ability really interests me, and i got interesting results tweaking these knobs along with the more 'traditional' ones...

Message 23/41             09-Jan-02  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

nothingnewhere

craig- analog VAs are around cause they are easy to use. people didnt buy the fs1r because it was a bitch to program, not because it didnt sound great. people want to have instant gratification more than they want great sounds i think.

nomad- alot of the coolest patches i come up with are the ones that i start out programming not knowing exactly what i want. everything you do has a purpose, but sometimes you dont find out what that purpose is untill you've completed the task.

Message 24/41             10-Jan-02  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

99devils

Yeah, that's my point. Analog is popular because it's easy to use and easy to program. Instant gratification = Korg Triton and the like, IMHO.

Can I get a string sound? Out of any analog I'm sure I could.. Put me in front of FM, no fucking way  

Message 25/41             11-Jan-02  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

xoxos

i believe every parameter on my dx100/4op yammies is rt controllable via sysex. one of these days i'll get around to writing an environment for it in logic.. then it's just gonna be a case of clicking and hyperdrawing. haven't found such an environ on the web yet.

Message 26/41             11-Jan-02  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

nomad

actually i talked to a guy once that had made a knob box for his TX81Z... i would imagine with the specs, you could easily make up an environment in Logic or on a peavey 1600x...

i wish the params on my cz101 were real time controllable....

Message 27/41             12-Jan-02  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

Pongoid

Things will evolve again soon. Stereo is getting old. You will see more developement in sound placement in things like surround, quad, thx, octo, etc.. as well as more independent developements in software-based environments like MAX, Super Collider, Kyma, and Reaktor involving hybrid types of synthesis.

Ape

Message 28/41             22-Jan-02  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

sitar

Did a search for Filter Factory. Where is it? Who makes it? Is it a plug-in or hardware? sounds interesting.

Message 29/41             23-Jan-02  @  04:21 AM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

nomad

electrix. hardware. rack filter. was blown out by guitar center for $99 not that long ago, though they probably don't have any more....

Message 30/41             23-Jan-02  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: Are new synths boring !!

influx

nope. on the street again for $200. well worth it tho

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)