aaa Trance dilemma - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Trance dilemma

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 14-May-02  @  09:26 PM   -   Trance dilemma

proximus

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hello..

I have question about trance..

I've always put my snare\clap on the 1. and 3. kick when I make trance.. while everybody uses the 2. and 4. kick.. someone said it sounded weird with clap on 1. and 3. kick.. but is it really wrong to do it? c'mon, it's four on the floor beat.. of course I understand that in other genres it would be wrong.. i.e. start with a snare in a drum n'bass beat..

Is it *legal* to put the snare\clap on the 1. and 3. kick in trance you think? Does it REALLY matter?

Ok, unless if it's mixed a dj mixed.. cos then you'd have a snare\clap on every kick.. that is understandable, but still.. is it such a big problem.. it is 4 on the floor..

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/40             17-May-02  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

Link?: Link

lol! frostbyte  

Dj Misja Helsloot ITWT1, I love that cd.. it's my all time favourite trance cd.

Ok I see your point now.. and I think I agree with you.

Message 22/40             17-May-02  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

boo_meister

Link?:  No link

John lennon said that that if he wrote some music at night, went to bed, slept on it, and woke up the next day with the tune going through his head, it was a keeper. If he couldn't remember it, it was back to the drawing board.

I don't think something needs melody to be memorable, just a good, solid groove. A few 'hooks' don't go amiss, either. Hooks are kinda cheesy if they're placed in there as obvious 'hooks', though.

But remember, in the context of a DJ set, a load of 'big' 'memorable' tunes together get kind of dull - makes a set flat. A set needs ups and downs or ups and ups to make it work. I used to refer to bland tracks as 'fillers', but now I come to realise that they have an important role to play. But then again, we're not making music for DJ's. I like Daddies sauce and Nik Naks. I couldn't stand Scampi Fries. I don't like fish, plus the commercial annoyed me. What was the thread about again?

Bah.

Message 23/40             17-May-02  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

boo_meister

Is Misja that Misjah blokey that did the huge acid track 'Access' with Tim??

Loved that track. Really liked his XMIX cd, too.

Message 24/40             17-May-02  @  09:05 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

formant

as a dj of any genre, for gods sake DONT put your snares on the 1 and 3.... its absurd and sounds dumb...

or if you do put them on the 1 and 3, make them soft in volume and put louder ones on the 2 and 4...

if you don't care about djs then dont listen to me... theres no difference in 1/3 2/4 anyway its the same pattern so most djs would try and mix it as if it were 2/4 and then things would come in at the wrong time... yuck

jamey

Message 25/40             17-May-02  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

milan

well if its the same pattern then it doesnt matter, does it?

i´ve been known to mix some tracks like that on purpose. give you a nice tchak-tchak pattern for a while. then you cut it out again.

Message 26/40             17-May-02  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

dru

I like to purposefully mix stuff in at the 'wrong' time, like Zink said. If you do it with some finesse- it has a very dynamic way of switching up the rythm. When you finally pull the first track out of the mix- your perception of the accented beats of the second track immediately flips around and dazzles the unsuspecting.
I love playing records that breakdown and then drop right in on a different beat.. it really only affects the transition (if you transition at that point)- and then after a few seconds you hear it like the song was originally intended.

I think if your on top of your approach, you can make any variation sound proper within the context of your song. I never tried to make trance, but I betcha I could make a track with a clap inbetween 3 and 4 that would sound dope. Shit- you could throw the clap on the oddest most out-of-rythm spot and make it work by carefully placing your hihats and other sounds around it and adjusting the way it blends with the beats. Even if you did this sort of thing every 8 bars it would add some spice that a bland repetetively simple song might need.

I can't remember for the life of me how my latest track was sounding last night. And that's because the rythms and melodies are so dynamic and spontaneous it is hard to quickly identify its structure- although I had articulated its structure very particularly.

The idea makes me think of Indian music or something- where you have flutes that just go off and rythmic drums intermingling with alternation. The experience is phenominal- and the music is impressive- but very difficult to grasp any portion of the tune as characteristic of the song as a whole.

Message 27/40             18-May-02  @  08:34 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

dj Misja Helsloot and dj Misjah are two different dj's. Misjah is a well renoved acid producer and dj.. a bit harder than helsloot. Helsloot has released a couple of singles but I think he is more in to spinning trance.

I like tracks with a little twist.. "an oldschool beat with a nu school twist" as two well known brothers say.

Message 28/40             19-May-02  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

xoxos

in my theory, putting the claps on the second beat is sexual.. we're dealing with a binary beat pattern that explodes on the second of a pair. emphasizing the first suggests an assertive asexual idiom.

cool  

(don't bother, it's just my thing, and you can't get inside without a door.)

Message 29/40             20-May-02  @  12:07 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

chroma

so its like...spurt and THEN stroke?

Message 30/40             20-May-02  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

Pongoid

Prox,
First things first. I'll leave my insults, ridicule, and disdain for your taste in aesthetic to your imagination, apart from the fact that they are very bad, and you now have marks against you in my book, as far as respecting your musical intellect goes. You're obviously quite new to this, and probably writing patterns in something like Fruity Loops. What you are doing is not wrong, per se, if you stay in one pattern and don't move. However, if you switch patterns at all, you will notice the arrival and departure of sounds comes as kind of odd. The dynamics don't work out quite correctly, especially for DJs (not that one must just submit to DJs desires except if they want to make a living from their music). Trance is for people who are not funky. I hope that you grow beyond this aesthetic quickly. Don't fake the funk, feel the funk.

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)