aaa Need some serious advice... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Need some serious advice...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 09-Aug-02  @  04:15 PM     Edit: 09-Aug-02  |  04:16 PM   -   Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I posted a message earlier asking about a synth for strings and pads. After considering the advice I was given and after some serious thinking I have decided to go for either the Virus C or the SupernovaII Rack, as they can do alot more than strings and pads and I will make a hell of a lot of use out of them.

Now that it is comming to purchasing the synth I would like to know if any one has any advice as to which I should go for. I have tested the synths and found them both to be excellent. But I didn't like the Supernovas effects, and it's percussive sounds seemed a bit weak. The reverb sounds absolutely terrible. Nor did I like the Virus interface, in particular the way that you have to use the menu to access the third oscilator (ironic from a company called access) but the virus did sound bloody fantastic. The thing is, I only got about an hour to try them out so I have booked two hours with the shop to give them a good workout. Does any one have anything to tell me about either synth? Particularly, anything that I should look out for when testing them? Do either have any limitations that the other covers? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/43             13-Aug-02  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

99devils

Link?: Link

Kurzweils are samplers, the rest are virtual analog.

The Q/uQ does have those damned velocity sensitive knobs. I hate those damn things, but that's probably because I'm not used to them. The Q is certainly worth considering.

The Nord Lead is highly highly highly underrated by peeps around here. Getting cheap these days too. The modular might be over the top for you, but a Lead II and a nice effects box might be just the ticket   And the Virus can still get nastier for the most part, but the FM on the Nord can tear your house down!

-Craig

Message 22/43             13-Aug-02  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Thanks for all of your help guys. I am off to test the synths this weekend, and will make the purchase in about 1 to 2 weeks. It really looks like I will be going for the Virus though.

Thanks again. Your help is really appreciated.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 23/43             13-Aug-02  @  04:10 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

mikec

What about getting a Nova (the desktop one)? With the OS upgrades it's virtually a SupernovaII with less polyphony.

And then you could buy something like a JV-1010 for pads including string samples and the like.

MikeC

Message 24/43             13-Aug-02  @  05:33 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

When I heard the Virus, it did exactly the kinds of pads that I am after. But when I heard the String recreations on the SupernovaII I was quite taken back. This is the main thing that stopped me from going for the Virus right away. The thing is, I have just been downloading string multisamples off of the net, which, once loaded into the EXS24, sound absolutely briliant. I must say that I am very, very impressed with the EXS24. It's an awesome sampler! So it really looks like the Virus is the right choice. But I will know for sure once I test the synths.

Cheers.

Steve.

Message 25/43             13-Aug-02  @  06:30 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

oh..just have to say..someone said something about the virus osc 3 being in a menu? on the C series?

nope. I have my KC in hand now, and Osc 3 is front panel accessible

Message 26/43             13-Aug-02  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

99devils

Influx you lucky fucker.. I want a KC sooo bad.

-Craig

Message 27/43             13-Aug-02  @  07:12 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Great. That was one thing that I was hesitant about, as my friend has the Virus B (non-keyboard) and the 3'rd osc was hidden.

Cheers.

Steve.

Message 28/43             13-Aug-02  @  09:25 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Scott Digweed

no shit... osc. C is front-panel on Virus C???

damnit ole!!! I knew that I would get screwed ordering my Virus B earlier this year. :-/

quick access to the suboscillator would so ing nice... oh well.

time to get laid. ;-P

Scott

Message 29/43             13-Aug-02  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

I see, each osc is selectable by way of three buttons. Something that should have been done a long, long time ago! I can't wait to try this thing out!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 30/43             13-Aug-02  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

now the FOURTH osc..well..thats in a menu I think

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)