aaa The best way to route the signal... - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: The best way to route the signal...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 15-Aug-02  @  12:29 AM   -   The best way to route the signal...

JJ Freqy

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I have a very simple question about my studio setup. I have my synths, drum machine, sampler, and guitar all running into my mixer and then to my soundcard IN. The soundcard OUT connects to monitors. I did it this way so I could hear exactly what the computer is recording into the software (Cool Edit Pro 2).

Does this sound like a good way to have my studio setup? If not why and what should I do to get the best sound out of my studio as far as monitoring goes? I appreciate all the help!  

J

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/31             17-Aug-02  @  12:28 AM     Edit: 17-Aug-02  |  12:34 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

I have an MX2004 as well and I'll let you know what I am doing, to give you some ideas. I have all of my hardware and my soundcard going into the stereo and mono channels as appropriate, and the main output of the mixer (the XLRs) going to my Amp. I then have the mixers Alt 3/4 outputs going to my soundcard for recording. This means that whenever I want to record one of my hardware outs (lets say a synth) I just select the corresponding Mute/Alt3-4 button and that re-routes the synth signal to the Alt 3/4 output and on to the soundcard which is routed back to the mixer. I find this works beautifuly.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 22/31             17-Aug-02  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

Brett

if ain't broke, don't fix it!

Message 23/31             18-Aug-02  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

Brett

by the Steve, why not use the 2tr input for monitoring after the recorder, IE:the soundcard. That is what it is for. the aux are for fx sends. So if you send the stereo out to the sound card then connect the soundcard out to the 2tr in and the 2tr out to the monitors, you are now using it as intended. but like I said , if it ain't broke don't fix it. So if it works for you then leave it alone. but our condused freind here should at least know the correct way to hook up a mixer.

Message 24/31             18-Aug-02  @  10:19 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

Steve Roughley

The 2-Track sends/returns are only crappy unbalanced Phono connectors. I use the Aux sends and Returns for my FX. I think the design of this desk might be a little odd.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 25/31             18-Aug-02  @  10:55 AM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

influx

Link?: Link

nah..theyre all RCA connectors. every mixer Ive ever seen with tape ins..

never understood that..and its a good point, but...think of how many solid recordings have been done with those exact same RCA connectors!

Message 26/31             18-Aug-02  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

Steve Roughley

Sorry, I allways refer to RCA as Phono.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 27/31             18-Aug-02  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

Brett

you are missing the point. You are only listening to those, you are recording from the stereo out. The reason you need to do this is simple. The aux and main may sound diferant for many reasons, but most importnatly the last micron of an inch at the top of the fader can cause the mixer to overload the output amps creating harmonics. I was recording from the digital out on my computer and monitoring the stereo and was wondering why my mix sounded less compressed after recording. the asnalog output stage was creating harminics that sounded good while monitoring but were not present in my recorded audio. The solution was to record from the analog outs and monitor from the returns to ensure what was going down was in fact what I was hearing in the monitors. It is funny how my digital mixer sounded better when recording from it's analog outs because of the harmonics it creates sound a lot like analog board would. When you push a channel to the red it actually limits the signal and creates low end harmonic distorion and softens the highs. Not quite the same as a quality analog board, but very usable to add grit to a all digital peice of music.

Message 28/31             18-Aug-02  @  07:40 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

influx

Link?: Link

Steve I wasnt correcting you!  RCA and phono..same thing

heh. Im not THAT bad 

Message 29/31             18-Aug-02  @  08:06 PM     Edit: 18-Aug-02  |  08:23 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

Steve Roughley

That's cool Influx. I know your not one of the bad guys (that doesn't mean that they are not here. They are , somewhere, watching, watching and waiting till they find a weakness, then BANG! were all in trouble!) :¬)

And just to clarify my earlier post regarding my mixer routing, I am only using the Alt 3/4 bus to record audio (i.e. a sequence from my JP8080) into my computer for sequencing in Logic and not for final mix recording. It is really convenient that way. I now know what you are saying Brett, sorry for the confusion, but my setup doesn't allow for the kind of routing you suggested at the moment. I'll give that a go when I get a better recording/monitoring setup. Cheers Brett!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 30/31             20-Aug-02  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: The best way to route the signal...

Brett

for tracking you are set up is fine. I guess then that you probably export to mix down from within the DAW?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)