aaa Mastering a mix CD... - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Mastering a mix CD...

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 28-Aug-02  @  04:45 PM     Edit: 28-Aug-02  |  04:54 PM   -   Mastering a mix CD...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I have been given the task of mastering a DJ's mix to go on CD. Overall the quality is good enough so EQing will be limited to removing slight hissing and rumbling every now and then. The only thing that really needs fixing is the overall volume that fluctuates from track to track. The mixes themselves are spot-on, it's just the way that each track has been mastered differently causes the mix to become quiet in places and louder in others. I don't want to add too much more compression, as this is a house music set, so all the tracks are already CTF. I was thinking of using subtle limiting, but have not done this kind of thing before, so I am not sure. Does anyone know the best way to get the overall levels fairly equal? And does anyone have any other tips for doing this kind of mastering?

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/30             30-Aug-02  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: Mastering a mix CD...

psylichon

Link?: Link

Here's my technique:

I use compression more for its sound and then a limiter for volume. I can tell you that most pros won't hit an L1 or L2 limiter more than 3, maybe 5 dB depending on the music. Any more and it starts getting audible.

When I mixdown, I put it into Sound Forge or Wavelab and analyze the song in sections. The loudest sections shouldn't have an RMS level more than -10dBfs, and that's REALLY screaming in my opinion (although unfortunately, that's how many pro albums are mastered these days and ya gotta compete). For my downtempo stuff, I try to get the loudest sections about -12 to -14dB. Analyzing it also lets me check the left/right balance. So if there's a level or balance problem, I just go back to Sonar, adjust my limiter and stereo imager on the master fader, and rebounce it. Check it again. Works for me.

If there are quiet sections that need brought out, sometimes I'll edit the mixdown with some fades. But I don't like to try and "level" a song with a limiter or compressor. It becomes too audible.

psylichon

Message 22/30             31-Aug-02  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: Mastering a mix CD...

proximus

thanks for the tips man. Great tracks you have :-)

Message 23/30             01-Sep-02  @  06:11 AM   -   RE: Mastering a mix CD...

brett

I actually mix it well. this is an old technique not used by so many these days. You see, you use the fader on your mixing board to get the levels right and you use the meter on your mixer and your ears to set the leve3ls and drive the mix.

unless you are mixing unmastered tracks you shouldn't have to go back and edit. maybe you should try mixing more and spend less time trying to edit the mix. just my useless opinion, but that is what a dj does, and what mixing is. Jukeboxes have limiters to try and smooth out levels from track to track. are you a jukebox, or a dj?

Message 24/30             01-Sep-02  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: Mastering a mix CD...

psylichon

First off, I'm not a DJ, I'm an engineer/producer. And sometimes it's easier to edit a 2-mix in spots than it is to automate a bunch of tracks in the mix. Sorry I find this easier, I must be some kind of asshole or something.

I think we're confusing live mixing with studio mixing here. Besides, there's no "right way" to do anything when it comes to music.

And when did you become such a prick, Brett?

psylichon

Message 25/30             01-Sep-02  @  06:29 PM   -   RE: Mastering a mix CD...

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

probably just used his ears :P

Message 26/30             01-Sep-02  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: Mastering a mix CD...

Brett

sorry about being a dick. I was tired. point is, I am sick of labels and individuals putting out so called mix sets that were surgically done in a DAW and passing it off as a dj set. And when you go back and cover up faulty mixing from a dj you are covering up those things that he needs to work on before taking peoples money for a live show. You should be as good as your cd , if not better than it showcases, and never worse. When you play mastered tracks there really is no reason to master the finished set. the dynamics and levels are part of the dj's job.

so I was talking to steve and maybe he should explain this to his dj freind . A live mix could benefit from some mild compression, but using faders to fix levels is going to far. The dj should have gotten that stuff right before hand. I am skeptical about steve's freind who gave him this job. aren't you the one who was asking all about dj's with traktor? is this a traktor mix you did? just curious....

Message 27/30             02-Sep-02  @  02:46 AM   -   RE: Mastering a mix CD...

Steve Roughley

Check my posts again Brett. I don't mean to be a prat, but there are a couple of points that I would like to clarify: 1) I have never used Traktor. In that thread I was empathising with TIC's plight about defensive DJs/Artists. 2) The DJs that gave me the DAT had their levels spot-on and I didn't have to alter a single mix through automated fading or otherwise. They really are very talented and in the end, all that was needed was a little compression applied to the whole mix to give it a finished production feel, as you suggested. 3) And I don't see how a DJ can be made responsible for the dynamics of a mastered track. Dynamics are best altered with compression, which, generally speaking, is not a DJ tool.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 28/30             02-Sep-02  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: Mastering a mix CD...

Brett

cool, I'll show myself to the door.

Message 29/30             02-Sep-02  @  07:44 PM   -   RE: Mastering a mix CD...

psylichon

I was way off the live DJ set tip... I was in my world of studio mastering. But I think we all walked away unscathed.

Next time we'll all talk about the same thing, agreed?

psylichon

Message 30/30             06-Sep-02  @  02:27 AM   -   RE: Mastering a mix CD...

Brett

OK

wait i am supposed to be gone.... I better git!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)