aaa Getting A Dubby Sound - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Getting A Dubby Sound

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 13-Nov-02  @  03:13 PM   -   Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Any suggestions for getting a proper dubby sound. No, I haven't got a tape echo box.

Anyway, is spring reverb the way to go. Plus are offical dub delys really just 3/16th? (Is that triplets?).

Also, dubby baselines. Are they just simple sines with the 60-80hz whacked up on the desk?

And what exactly are triplets and how do they work? Everytime, I try and fit 3 notes, equally spaced, in between the kick and snare (ie 4 16ths, it sounds wrong). I thought triplets were fitting just 3 16ths into the spave of 4 16ths. Obviously not. Help much appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/60             14-Nov-02  @  02:24 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

that's 1 beat. with the grid at 1/24

the bottom line in straight sixteenths

the top line is triplet

swing is everything in between (and maybe a little beyond) if it's swung hard it's closer to triplet.

the second row (from the bottom) is logic 16C

the next line up is logic 16E which is actually triplet feel.

see? triplet is already swung, quite hard. not as hard as logic 16F but that's just plain useless.

anyway, that haircut took ten years off me. ahh, 14 again.

Message 22/60             14-Nov-02  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

excuse me for asking, but where do you guys find those things? 16C, 16E, 16F etc? are those templates? wish i knew cause i always have to move everything by hand or with the delay function...

Message 23/60             14-Nov-02  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

bloody hell milan!

time for another picture i guess.

Message 24/60             14-Nov-02  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

File?:  [image]

[image file]

click and hold next to the qua thing on the arrange page (above the toolbox) or hold down the Q button in the other editors.

Message 25/60             14-Nov-02  @  06:41 PM     Edit: 14-Nov-02  |  06:45 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

^^this is the propper link for the piccie, wouldnt open for me.

thanks, i see. still dont find them very usefull though. cheers anyway... i prefer to mess with the Q-swing parameters in order to get it to groove right. but maybe thats something different altogether...

Message 26/60             14-Nov-02  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

nah, same thing. quantize on 16ths and 65% q-swing is triplet feel.

Message 27/60             14-Nov-02  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

ok then. but still, you can at least choose how much swing you want. yes?

Message 28/60             14-Nov-02  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

yes, it's more of a feel thing when you do it like that, sweep it between 50% and 70-ish. i usually opt for one of the set ones c or b coz i like 'em. that's for house though and the slower a track is the heavier swing it needs i think.

Message 29/60             14-Nov-02  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

right... have you found the uk garage one yet? one with the very early snare?  

hows this as a replacement for chat, eh?  

Message 30/60             14-Nov-02  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

xoxos

i dunno about you but a lot of the magic of analog delays (which i know more than dub) is in playing it, ie. riding the regen and just being partial witht he time.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 60 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)