aaa Producing has made me a bad bad man - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Producing has made me a bad bad man

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 12-Dec-02  @  05:51 PM   -   Producing has made me a bad bad man

timothyallanmusic

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

So I saw Tiesto last night, there were hundreds of people there. Everyone was dancing their asses off, workin up a sweat, and having a good time.
Where was I? On the balcony observing, and not feelin it at all.

All he was doing was hopping around, and dropping the bass out about every two songs. He had 3 huge projectors that played a looped video that had his name spinning around all night long. The kicker was the 4 sound guys he had. 2 Huuuge mix desks, 3 laptops, and some other machine that looked right outta star trek. They were constantly adjusting stuff on the desks, meanwhile Tiesto danced around his decks some more.

2 years ago, I would have been up there having a good ol time with the rest of the folks. Last night, all I wanted to do was go home and never see that shit again. lol, I am SO JADED now. It was so commercialized and absolutely phoney. I even got in shit from my girlfriend cause I was being 'boring' heheh.

My point? Producing is becoming a very big eye opener for me, both good and bad. On one hand, I love making my own tunes, and having myself and other people enjoy them. On the other hand, I now look at 'live' shows, and DJ's in a totally different light. I have MUCH more respect for people who play their OWN music out, and don't have to rely on a 5 man sound team on $100k worth of gear to make someone elses $10 record sound phat.

Does this happen to everyone who decides to go down the yellow brick road of music production? Where you wake up and realize a lot of the things that got you interested in dance/electronic music in the first place now makes you sick and angry?

-angry tim

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/31             01-Jan-03  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

cheddar

Just to start the year on the right foot...

Kreature you talk shit, really. "So true. The more you learn the more you understand. The more you understand the more you think. The more you think the less you find yourself not thinking. The less you not think the less you free your creativity. It's a tightrope, creativity and analysis. It's a monkey, crazy and intelligent. It's a ing paradox like everything else. "

This is the wrong way round, the more expreience, you more you think you understand (and the more you are sure you are correct) the less room you have to tolerate alternatives so the less chance you find something that you consider creative (cos you know) and so objectivly the less creative you are.

I don't make music but i do create and i am most imptressed with my work when I happen across it, or an accident etc and IT announces itself. For me the hardest bit is stopping - thats why i like pieces that jump out at you.

It realy is vicarious, boring public masterbation hearing old tunes in new suits and dj's/performers/whoever getting all smiley and proud when all you want to do is play the piece that they were it getting turned on by which had them make the track.

What is new?

Happy new year

Message 22/31             02-Jan-03  @  08:16 AM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

Kreature

Link?:  No link

Dear Cheddar,

Thank you for you interest in my 'shit'. I entirley agree with you, after all I know very little about stuff. However, "the more you experience the more you think you understand", true for most scenarios I imagine. I tend to find that the more I experience the more I realise how much more stuff there is to know, and hence the more I realise how little I know.

Message 23/31             02-Jan-03  @  09:35 AM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

cheddar

In the spirit of upping postings Kreature..., so much so that you have to tell us all about it.

If Cheddar = Kreature then...

Message 24/31             02-Jan-03  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

Kreature

...then kreature = cheese. (I prefer milder varieties usually).

More the 'festive' spirit than 'posting' spirit. Sorry this is all new to me, message boards and that. I guess I'm just getting carried away, not enough chance to talk shit to people these days. I'm working in the cultural black hole that is South Korea. You'ld be sickened by what the do to/call music over here.

Message 25/31             02-Jan-03  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

cheddar

appos, nowt personal Kreature, Thanks but no no... no dog for me.

Message 26/31             02-Jan-03  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

psylichon

Link?: Link

I've reread these posts about 5 times now and still can't figure out what you two are on about. or just on.

psy

Message 27/31             02-Jan-03  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

errata

translation: (my perspective)

Kreature says, (paraphrase) "as you learn you begin to get it, as you get it you think less about it, as you think less you create more..."

(eval): the premise is flawed by the following statement: "The more you think the less you find yourself not thinking." He's trying to confuse us with Jedi Mind Tricks!

Cheddar says, (not easily fooled by raver voodoo) "That's a bunch of bullsh+t."

Tet-e-tet arrises between the two as Kreature attempts to further muddy the pristine waters of Cheddar's mind, ie: "I tend to find that the more I experience the more I realise how much more stuff there is to know"...

Cheddar falls into the Jedi trick here by refusing to give Kreature the last (and obviously stated) word in the discussion.... Realizing his blunder he resorts to Algebra (probably figured the PLUR salute to be a clear indication of long dead brain cells)... But the young knight was quick and threw it back in his face...

Was there a winner/looser? My take: Those who tried to make sense of it all definately went home with the table scraps! It's a duty of my loving kindness to spare the rest by offering this play by play!

e

call me an ass! I deserve it.

Message 28/31             02-Jan-03  @  09:51 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

d

actually thanks for "clearing that up" for me  

Message 29/31             03-Jan-03  @  04:23 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

kreature

I can't beleive that people are trying to figure this 'shit' out, nice analysis though errata. Certainly cleared things up for me, you know how it always helps to get an objective opinon on these things. I'm also glad that you pointed out my mistake:

"The more you think the less you find yourself not thinking."

What I was trying to convey was pretty much what your interpretation said - it's when your not thinking and just experiencing that you are most susceptable to creative inspration.

Oh, I'm not so much a Jedi as a disciple of Monkey, it's all Monkey-majik.....

PLUR

Message 30/31             03-Jan-03  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: Producing has made me a bad bad man

errata

Cheers, Kreature...

Thanks for not taking it wrong... it was obviously a joke. And we all know that Jedi's keep their presence hidden in this day and age... but I see through your games...

e

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)