aaa Just picked up an OB-8 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Just picked up an OB-8

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 24-Nov-03  @  09:22 PM   -   Just picked up an OB-8

Influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

havent gotten very far yet, but man...

I cant lie and say I dont notice a difference in the sound between this and my virus.

warm indeed

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/32             21-Dec-03  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

psylichon

Link?: Link

Yeah I didn't want to break the little Obie party you all had started here, but I was never overly impressed with the sound of the Xpander when I was in school. Now granted, I was still learning subtractive synthesis at the time (they were in the labs at Berklee), but I could never get it to sound anything but tweezy and weak. Not "ballsy outta the box" like other classic analogs. But holy shit the modulation sources/destinations. Fookin nuts... great for sfx and long, evolving sounds with lots of LFOs. Bad for piano (one of our assignments in school) [shrug]

Message 22/32             21-Dec-03  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

steve

your school had an xpander?

mine had casiotones.

Message 23/32             21-Dec-03  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

k

Link?:  No link

lol! - British school quality!

Message 24/32             21-Dec-03  @  10:27 PM     Edit: 21-Dec-03  |  10:27 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

BluStudio

you had keyboards!? most esciting thing we got was playing a fookin recorder man..........you could really hear it come into its own when you covered two holes at a time

Message 25/32             22-Dec-03  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

mm... i gotta add something: for a "not_really_yer_bass_synth" my DCO equiped Matrix has a positively frightening amount of subs on some patches. more than the uQ for example. i think there's still a lot to be said for discrete oscilators running freely as separate chips on the board and 24db analog filters.

(just making conversation )

Message 26/32             22-Dec-03  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

steve the pedant

but if it uses voice chips it's not discrete, right?

blu - you tramp

Message 27/32             22-Dec-03  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

hmm... i see what yoou mean. bad choice of words :P

but each oscilator is a still a chip in its own right, right?

Message 28/32             22-Dec-03  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

steve

yeah, i think so.

what i don't understand though is why synths which use op amps and the like are still considered to be 'discrete' by the anal log mafia.

Message 29/32             24-Dec-03  @  07:58 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

panama

Link?:  No link

just to drop in here real quick... I got me an Octave Cat thats on the way... cant wait!

Never heard the xpander or oberheim ob-8... hope you have fun with the xpander.

Message 30/32             24-Dec-03  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Influx

you know whats funny?

1)people who have no experience talking about stuff based on what theyve heard and read.

2)I sold the Ob8. It definitely sounds soft and warm like its supposed to, but it sounds...well...just not aggressive enough for my tastes

3)Im selling the Xpander soon. After messing with it quite a bit...kinda the same. Just not as in your face as I want. It is, without question, a programmers dream. Has to be the most extensive non-modular mod system ever? I mean in an analog from what 86? wow.

But, with how much I can get for it combined with the fact that I am perfectly comfortable with my virus...its on its way out.

heh...I drooled and drooled over it...and it was almost all based on other people's hype. lesson learned

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)