aaa Whats Happening at Frankfurt? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 28-Feb-99  @  04:02 PM   -   Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Willy

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Something big is going down at Frankfurt. Is it just a new OS or is their something more sinister. A hardware upgrade perhaps? Any ideas?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/31             10-Mar-99  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

kevin

No criticism intended, Punter. I think we all agree that Novation has built a great synth, and that they should be commended for listening to the users. You are correct
that "functionality" problems are quite different
from "feature" problems. Many companies leave last
year's product behind when
developing a new one,
thus sticking users with a
buggy unit that will never be fixed. When the Nova was
announced, many users probably felt that this was what was happening to them
and, having the forum to express their frustration,
proceeded to express it. None of my comments have been intended as an attack on Novation or the SN, and I'm sure this is true for most of the folks on this forum, but maybe some of us could learn to chill a little bit.

Message 22/31             10-Mar-99  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

lostwire

Punter-

If you're going to quote me ("not performing as expected") please do, but don't make up your own & present it as if I said them so you can base your argument around. I bought the Supernova because I loved it's features & sound, & it allowed me to put a few synths in storage so I could free up some space in my studio, which you're welcome to visit since you seem to doubt its existance. My issue with the vocoder is one shared by many. I am not knocking the SN, I am simply pointing out that the lack of a vocoder will hurt sales when the Nova has nearly all the power of the SN at half the price. Phil has finally explained that the SN doesn't have the power to process the vocoder as an upgrade, which is what I inquired about on a previous thread, so yes, I will look into buying a stand-alone vocoder. I bet you'll see one in the SN keyboard though if it goes into production. I'll save you the trouble of painting another picture of me by saying I'm not interested in a keyboard & I wasn't expecting one when I bought my SN rack.

You said "... you must be a few sandwiches short of a picnic to claim you've spent 50K on kit over the years, and then moan cos you ommited to purchase a vocoder...". Is it hard for you to believe one can spend over $50,000 on a studio & not own a vocoder? Synths, samplers, outboard effects, mixers, recording equipment, computers & monitors, acoustic instruments, soundproofing, etc etc etc. I'd also like to point out acquiring pro gear was very expensive years ago. The phrase "home studio" was barely uttered.

Has this post been...clear to you...or...do I need to...break up all my sentences...with cute little dots? Oh, & I'd love to see the house you could find for $50,000. It would have electricity, right? Would I have to swim out to it?  

Message 23/31             11-Mar-99  @  01:31 AM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Spike

Wooohhh..Lets cool it on this thread.

I bought a Ford Model A, black of course. Now those B$#%^&*ts at Ford have just released a new model car and its got a CD player. Why was it not in the original model A?
But guess what, none of their models have a vocoder - now that makes me feel OK

Spike

Message 24/31             11-Mar-99  @  10:18 AM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Punter

ha ha.....I dont doubt you bought 50K's worth at all mate, and yes i do understand the devaluation thing... I too have spent well over 25K in say 12 years.... but now for insurance purposes it's worth 11K..... morre's law as I said....Moores Law states that with any item of computing equiptment (and this includes synths), you will buy double the technology/power one year later for the same price, or the same features will half in price for each year... (or words to that effect).....in the Uk you can claim backa large percentage of the value in depreciation over 3 years for any item classed as a computing device... which includes alot of studio kit...

but.... i still maintain, if a vocoder is IMPORTANT to you.... i'd have thought you'd have bought one....

as for the house ting, Well I wasnt thinking of a retirment condo in Miami with private golf course & 24 hr Kosher takeaway mate... over here in the UK, that money will buy you a decent house outside of London area by say 100 miles that is... I just missed a fully converted 19th Century chapel about 100 miles north of London previously owned by an artist....... 2000 sq ft.... 2ft thick stone walls..... new roof.... new 3 phase electrics (if needed it's there) and full rewired regular mains... fully converted with 2 offices above 2 x 30ft storage rooms... large work area,living area off the side with gallery kitchen, shower, & bedsit area, storage etc... plus yard & parking , and large roll-thru doors with ramp.....
for about that price......

my bro's got an 18 room farmhouse for just double that price....

anyways... i'm not making up my own stuff.... you did say :

" but I rarely complain
about anything & I feel my complaint (lack of Vocoder/audio inputs) is
justified."

all i wanna know is... how is it justified??....

Message 25/31             12-Mar-99  @  07:52 AM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

SwampMan

Why should Novation stand still and not develop new exciting units? Is that what some people want? Should novation make, lets say, a digital I/O expansion to all their modles just because they have one on SuperNova keyboard version?

/SwampMan

Message 26/31             12-Mar-99  @  08:04 AM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Sure the Nova has a Vocoder feature on it and also delivers close to the performance of the Supernova. But the synth is only 12 voices and 6 part multi plus I may be wrong but the nova isnt upgradeable. Atleast I never heard that the Nova can be updated with new OS's. But even then its still not as big as the Supernova in sound library and in performance. Me I think either the Microwave XT or Virus is better than the Nova in specs wise. As for sound quality I expect the nova to be as good or if not better than the XT or Virus just as good as the Supernova. Later

Message 27/31             12-Mar-99  @  08:42 AM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Jason

Sorry I forgot my name.

Remember me? I was the guy who talked about how expensive the Supernova was and wish that they could have realesed it for cheaper as many of us musicians couldnt afford such prices. Well that was me if you remember. I have been gone for awhile and still havent lost all hope for Novation. I am back for two reasons. 1 I wanted to see how you people are doing and 2 I found out about Novation had released a cheaper alternative synth to the Supernova in which was one of the things that had been discused to Novation in the past. We the poor souls wanted the Supernova even if they had to make a scale down version of the synth that will make me and probably many others like me happy.

Novation I am happy that you made a more affordable version of the Supernova and plus added a vocoder feature to it. You didnt have too but thanks for the feature I greatly apreciate it. I know you have listened its obviouse you had. You cant say you didnt.

You listened to me and other people who are in the same or familiar boat. I thank you.

Its unfortunately though to late. I already bought the Roland JP 8080. It costed me $1192 US. I feel I bought a great synth. Though I kinda feel I should have bought the Virus or XT but then no one had any in at the time so oh well. I'll get them some other time.

Even though the Nova is a great product I feel that the Virus is a little better for what I would want. Its a 12 voice too but its got 16 part multi and has Spectral synthesis which is simular to the XT's Wavetable synthesis plus it also has a vocoder feature now thanks to os 2 from Access electronics. this feature will alow new sound possibilities that most other synth do not have. I think even including your Synths. I want a synth that can really sound different and analog all in one synth. So I feel the Virus synthesizer will suit my needs. Unless when I hear these synths in person some day that is when I will really know. So I may buy the Nova after all.

Not bad Novation Not bad at all.

Later every one.

Message 28/31             12-Mar-99  @  10:11 AM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

punter

so ...er... how does one use a 12 voice synth in 16 part multi mode then ?? , shurely shome mishtake ?, that'd leave you with 4 notes missing even at 1 note poly per channel?. surely all the Virus does is offer you 16 available channels... but you cant run each channel with content at the same time.... is that right?.. sounds weird... and by saying that i'm in no way slagging the Virus... it is a healthy competitor to Novation... all in all I think it's not a bad compromise they have opted for... the Supernova, for people who want Lots of polyphony either for recording, or more importantly, for say big live work where sustain of large chord pads is a must.... or... the Nova, less poly, but some interesting production features, perhaps better suited to compositional work where you have time to sample parts or h/d pats when polyphony runs out.... maybe it's like that....

all in all, regardless of our wants & needs... i think Novation have been essential in shaking up the industry .... and i can see alot of pro users getting Both the SuperN & the Nova

Message 29/31             12-Mar-99  @  10:28 AM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

SwampMan

Hey Jason!

Did you ever consider Clavia Nord Modular?
If you want unique sounds it should be spot on! BTW its a GREAT complement to the SupoerNova (In my opinion)

/SwampMan

Message 30/31             12-Mar-99  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Whats Happening at Frankfurt?

Jason

Im not sure how the a 12 voice synth do 16 part multi my self but that is what the specs says. Mabey you can input another synth into the virus to use the last remaning parts? Who knows. As for the Nord Modular I had thought about it but I dont know. I mean I just started to understand how to play a VR analog the JP 8080 and that thing is still giving me new stuff. The Modular looks nice but I think I'll get lost and frustrated with it though. How ever the micro modular I hear packs a great punch for alot less money. Huh I guess you people arent the only ones after all. Here you bought a SN and then came the Nova as well as people who bought the Modular now came the Micro. Its all do to affordability and getting recognized I guess.

Later

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)