aaa Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 16-Jun-97  @  09:53 PM   -   Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

jocke

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

what would be the best choice of a virtual analogue synth, in average that is. The Roland JP-8000, Yamaha AN1x or Nordlead2? Has anyone tried these machines and being able to compare them?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/47             10-Sep-97  @  10:44 AM   -   RE: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

kilo

get a calculator....and check the curency prices in the Tribune....however, this would not be the 100% fixed price.....that descision would be taken by the US distributor...but it would giove you an idea

Message 22/47             13-Sep-97  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

cllu

What is a filter control board? Are you saying that I might be more satisfied with the orbit sound module than the JP 8000, Yamaha an1 or the Roland XP-50.

Just had to write that so you would know what i was reffering to.
If you just need one new sound, then the nord or an1x or jp8000 would be a good (kilo! theres something very strange with this box, backspace doesnt delete but space does!).
Anyway the point is that if you dont have got any sounds at all (drummachine, sampler etc) then the orbit would be an excellento a ´la choice. And please forget about the xp50 if you are going to create goa, acid, trance, techno and HC!

bye bye

Björn

Ps Kilo, are you using webpad to make these boxes? If so, can you help and tell me what i should write?
ds

Message 23/47             15-Sep-97  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

avene

I got a CD in the mail today from the music store I buy all my gear at. It was a Korg demo CD of the Z1. The letter that came with it said " forget the ANX1, K5000, JP8000.... comparing the Z1 to these units is like comparing a Ferrari to a pushbike...". The letter also implied that because the Z1 is so good it will make the prices of these other machines drop.

And then the price...for $4500 (Australian) you get the 12 voice version, and for $5000 you get the 18 voice version. Now I'm thinking, for this sort of money it's gotta be pretty incredible.

I put the CD in..there's 15 Z1 demo tracks on there... I play the 1st track...na, that sounds shit, NEXT, ..2nd track-NEXT, NEXT, NEXT.....This went on until I'd got to the end of the CD. The only 2 words I would use to describe it would have to be "Digitial Crap". The sounds I heard on these demos really did suck. It's got these physical modeling sounds aswell as the analog stuff ..most of the demos featuring these sounded like those tunes you get on a Casio organ. Some of the music was actually pretty decent though, it's just the sounds that sucked...

I don't know..I wish manafacturers wouldn't release shit like this - you end up hearing all these crappy sounds all over nearly every pop record in the top 10. I'm sure someone could probably do something decent with it, but considering most muso's don't edit they're sounds, this would be a rare occurance.

Message 24/47             16-Sep-97  @  08:09 PM   -   RE: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

S-bear

all demos suck big time!

Björn

have you heard realitys demo (software!), it sucked more than a hoe from NY! (i guess anyway, I havent had so much experience with hoes from NY)

Message 25/47             17-Sep-97  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

avene

Link?:  Link

Yeah I guess all demos suck, but this Z1 cd really takes the cake....

Message 26/47             26-Sep-97  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

Sancar

Hi Guys,

I was just reading your Virtual analog discussion and I tought I would add my opinions. I've got both Nord Lead and JP-8000 along with Novation SBS and Drum Station. I think Kilo is talking about the upcoming Novatin Super Nova. I have seen the picture of it and read about the specs. That synth will kick some serious ass when it's out. I am saving money for it.
I think JP-8000 is a great synth. Warm and fat sounds even better than Nord. They go great together though. I love both of them. Whoever thinks 8000 is a bad synth, I'd like to hear his opinion in which synth is good on ASM.

Message 27/47             26-Sep-97  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

Hilevelt

Nords are nice because they have a unique sound, like you can listen to a track and say 'cool analog sound' for the Juno and then 'cool Nord sound'. Underworld uses some of the presets, and it really stands out. The JP-8000 and AN-1x seem to kinda' be like really close, but not quite, so what's the fuckin' point?

Plus, Swedish people are sweet hearts, and the chicks are mad in the sack. Nord Lyd means 'northern sound', I think. The Super Nova's are gonna be prohibitively expensive in the States when they come out, plus Novation releases to us late. I have yet to see the SBS, and I'm in Los Angeles!

Message 28/47             26-Sep-97  @  07:41 AM   -   RE: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

controlvoltage

I've had this discussion at synth site so I'm still fresh from the debate. The JP-8000 does not do a good job at replacing analog squat. What anyone with any thoughts on buying one should do is find and compare it with a real JP, the 6 or 8. The flaws in filter quantising and overall flatness of it will be painfully obvious. It may attract a few buyers who feel analog is too expensive and only gives you one voice at a time, but The price of the 8000 is as much as a JP-8. 1 fat, REALLY fat jp-8 sound would, in my books, beat 8000 new JP 'fat' sounds, also the JP8 is fully stabalized, it doesn't go out of tune(unless it's broke). Quality or quantity boys?

No-one has mentioned the Waldorf MicrowaveII(8-part multi-timbral, 10-voice, 2oscs/voice, 4outputs, full programming matrix and wavetable synthesis). and 100USD less than the JP-8000. I guess because it has no keyboard it isn't as obvious but don't let it slip by your scrutiny! It is the first digital synth which I have EVER found that was worth it's knobs, its actually fun and interesting to tweak. I thought the filter was analog and in finding out it was actually digital too I now have to admit to liking a digital synth for it's sounds. This is not coming from some label whore. I've got Roland X0X everything and love it, but now Roland are content to ride their name and take the cheap way out,. My feelings are that NO analog emulator sounds as good as analog. The MicrowaveII can't get as rich as my EML101 or as refined as my ARP2600, but it has CHARACTER, it sounds really unique! a very rare commodity in the digital synth market and something Roland has lacked since the MKS-80 flagged the end of Roland VCO products.

The whole argument is moot from the perspective of which is a better analog sounding machine, none are. Which is the better virtual synth? It's a matter of personal taste.

Message 29/47             27-Sep-97  @  07:40 AM   -   RE: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

Avene

Totally agree Controlvoltage. A synth I use is the old Ensoniq SQ80. Its oscillators are digital, but the filters are real analog. Although it doesn't sound as fat as my Pulse, it's a hell of a lot closer than any digital analog clone I've come across. I haven't tried the MicrowaveII, but I could understand that it would sound pretty fat. I always thought the old Microwave sounded analog.

As for the JP8000 - NA!! I listen to a lot of old Electro from the mid eighties and and you just can't recreate any of those sounds using it. When it first came out I spent a couple of hours in a music store trying it out, and I couldn't get any of my favourite analog sounds from it. The filters on it are a joke. Have a listen to the Memorymoog on that new Jamiriqui (however it's spelt) single. I'd love to see someone try and get a sound like that from a JP8000.

Message 30/47             02-Oct-97  @  09:43 AM   -   RE: Virtual Analogue, JP-8000 vs Yamaha AN1X?

??????????????????

I would have to agree with controlvoltage.The JP-8 is godsent-pounding bass,shimmering pads and trancing sweeps.Its a classic.With all the new software out,Dust off yer old gear and load'er up

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 47 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)