aaa Sounds I need... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Sounds I need...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 20-Oct-97  @  07:19 PM   -   Sounds I need...

DJ Phallus

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Okay, I'm looking for some sounds, so I was wondering if somebody knows where to get them/how to make'em myself.
First, that sound from "Ready or not, by the fugees. Any ideas on how to recreate it with some type of softsynth?
I need some good single-hit sounds for chemical-beats, and breakbeats, like the prodigy. Where can I get'em? I don't want to buy equipment for them, I was hoping there would be some site that has some.
Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/53             02-Nov-97  @  02:47 AM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Well, that mpc's still available for me, but now another guy at this site's offered me his mpc2000 for a real good deal ('s up, patrick). Seriously, I like the idea of being able to set envelopes in the sequencer, but I'm working mostly jungle these days anyway, so I don't know how useful an mpc would be for that compared to cubase (which I use for audio, so timing is something I've got to deal with no matter what). Plus, I've already got about six top-notch samplers.

I appreciate the advice Avene, it's just that I'm hesitant to accumulate more stuff and more learning curves than I've already got. Yet, if this is something that would get me farther than what I've got, I'd be willing to make the shift (I'm considering getting a DA-88 for compatibility with my studio anyway).

hehehe, now that dj anal's well pissed, I'll tell ya that Matrix synths have got the pads you need, and sines are usually good enough basses for anybody.

Message 22/53             02-Nov-97  @  03:11 AM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

Peezahj

BTW, I saw your Generator tip, but I've still got problems running SB16 and my Crystal PnP together. Any thoughts?

Hilevelt

Message 23/53             02-Nov-97  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

patrick

Like one single is gona take away from your pot if the sounds your looking for are on it, is'nt that cheaper.Yo, DJ ELIC,the sampler on the mpc is only good for looping"akia filters" some tuning And cut and paste stuff, no synth . Get it only if your interested in the sequencer.There are way better samplers.Well, you got this timing thing with computers that in theary can be set to compensate. These bad ass editing screens that are fucking killer or this one note at a time view on this squinty
tiny screen with the timing dead on.Well it's better editing or better timing,The choice is yours.
Phalles check out dance mega drums , XX large extreme or kicking lunitic beats.

Message 24/53             02-Nov-97  @  03:59 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

DJ Phallus, the anal one

I've used break number 6 (I think) from Weazle World a lot, but now, when I listen to my tracks, they all sound alike. That's why I want to create some loops myself, and chop those. I want my own sound, u c... And I don't believe the Prodigy or the Ch.Bros chop up beats, they create them theirselves. Or take that beat from Pearls Girl by Underworld. How do you create something like that? That's not a ripped loop, they'd get sued!
Hey, Hilevelt, instead of investing the money in new gear, just send it to me, PLEASE! I mean, six samplers? You must be extremely rich. So give the money to me! I really need it. I've worked for an entire month (I'm still a student) and I can still barely afford a sampler/sequencer...

Message 25/53             02-Nov-97  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

Avene

Phallus, I dug up that Fugees single - Ready or Not, It is the stringy sound at the start you're after isn't it? I had a good listen to it and what it is, is a orchestral string sound with a female vocal over the top. At first I thought it may have been Lauryn from the group singing, but then I read the credits and one of them says "Enya sample produced by....". So there it is, ENYA !!, and you thought you could get that sound with a synth. Actually, maybe the string underneath is a synth, I'm not sure. I'll see what I can do with it for my next set of samples, I might reverse it or something.

Hilevelt, the mpc, yeah, it's real easy, there shouldn't be a learning curve. You just grab your samples, assign them to pads etc, etc. As for the sequencer, it's even easier. In the step editor you step through each step of the sequence and at each step you get a list of the events that happen on that step. You really should check the Dj Shadow interview in the October issue of Keyboard, his stuff may not be your prefered style of music but the guy did his whole album using just an MPC60. As for the soundcard thing, I don't know, in my pc I got an AWE64 and a tropez+, I can have something like generator or rebirth assigned to one and then just record the output into the other.

Patrick, your turn..You can cut and paste on the MPC3000 (I don't know about the 2000) and the editing is really simple because you set the auto start point finder which does the trick every time. As for synth type stuff, well, its got a resonant lowpass filter which sounds good and I've programmed 303 type stuff on my mpc in the past just using a sawtooth wave and the filters. As for other samplers being more powerful, I know, i used to have an e64 and before that a k2000, but the good thing about the MPC is having everything in the one unit and if you were just to use the mpc to sequence other gear i still don't think it would sound as tight as the internal samples. Another thing the drum pads are the best even for playing melodies.

Message 26/53             02-Nov-97  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

Avene

Another thing, sorry Phallus for getting away from the subjct, there's some stuff you can on the mpc to the internal sounds that you'd never bother doing with a normal sampler sequencer combination. In step edit, for each step, the name of the sample comes up (Cubase could never do this !), and for each step within step edit you can change the attack, decay, tuning, filter cutoff, duration, and velocity. You can also chuck in volume and pan messges. I reckon you could really use these features for jungle stuff. I'm always changing the attack time of individual kick drums and stuff, it sounds awesome, as if one kick is sliding into another, and because you can see the name off the sample you're messing with, it's even easier. And the filtering bit is great aswell because you can jsut say 'alright I want a filter sweep on those three snares' and you can do it in a few seconds, you just set the filter cutoff on the first snare to 10, the 2nd 65 and the 3rd 127 or whatever. A hell of a lot quicker than messing about with controllers on an external sampler.

Oh and Phallus, Chemicle brothers chop up their beats using Recycle. Try sampling your drums at an 8 bit resolution, it'll make them sound hella fat. And rearrange them into a different drum pattern to make them sound original.

Message 27/53             02-Nov-97  @  07:27 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

patrick

Avene, I wasn't slashing the mpc.I wish they would have included lfos , envelope generator type
stuff.You doing every thing in the box,thats cool. I like to do some midi stuff with my keyboards
Phalles, dance mega drums are indivual hits so you can creat your own.

Message 28/53             02-Nov-97  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

patrick

Avene, do you Know of a way to use recyle with the mpc.Since theres no key span how can it
map the slices on to the keys? If ther is a way please tell me.

Message 29/53             03-Nov-97  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

Avene

To use Recycle with the MPC, you could convert the samples to the mpc .snd format using Awave, save them to a floppy and then load them in. I chop my beats up using Cool Edit 96 and the 'save selection as..' function. I've tried Recycle, but it's not accurate enough, you always end up with a click at the end of each slice. Using Cool Edit is quicker for me because you can just highlight each hit of the loop and save it. When I've got the samples in the mpc I just map them to different pads and always program my own patterns, so the midi file and auto map features of Recycle don't phase me.

Message 30/53             03-Nov-97  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

DJ Phallus

Okay, if the chemical brothers chop up loops, where do they get the original breaks? It seems to me they always use sort of the same sounds...
Hey Avene, how the hell do you do that? You listen to a sound and can tell what it is? I'm impressed! I'm new to this, so I'm easily impressed, but still... I could have figuered out it were strings, but the vocal on top?
I'd really appreciate it if you would add the sample to your next set...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 53 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)