aaa virus filter - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: virus filter

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 24-Sep-02  @  03:37 AM   -   virus filter

liquidphire

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Something I noticed while playing with the Virus - when I have one of the filters' Cutoff fully open and I increase Resonance I don't hear that sharp, bright (resononant?) sound as I do on other synths (Supernova, Waldorf Q & JP-8000) using a saw wave, instead the sound volume seems to be attenuated slightly. Can someone tell me why is this happening? Does the Virus have a different filter structure then those other synths I mentioned? I like that Saw sound with a fully open filter and Resonance at 90%, does that mean I can't get it with Virus?

Thanks in advance.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/32             26-Sep-02  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: virus filter

psylichon

Link?: Link

Nice one, nomad. I never knew about the ripple effect but it makes sense harmonically. Cool...

psylichon

Message 32/32             27-Sep-02  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: virus filter

OnAcid

Link?:  No link

From Christoph Kemper, CEO of Access Music, Gmbh.:
"Self oscillation is, when the resonance control - which is a sort of Feedback actually - can be set to values above 1, so the filter amplitude is increasing by itself until it hits the headroom, and than sticks there. This is identical in analog and digital domain. For the exitation, you need some signal. In the analog domain noise is always apparent, in digital domain you can add some dither noise to archive the same effect. But noise is not the reason for self oscillation.
The Virus filters do not allow self oscillation, but still allows very high resonances resp. Q-factors.

Waldorf does more to archive self resonance than simply adding noise. But that makes the filter sound different even on lower resonances ..."

Just turn up a bit of noise on the virus...full resonance...turn down the cutoff...et voila.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)