aaa Karma or Virus? Advice needed - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 20-Dec-01  @  10:45 PM   -   Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Ryan Irwin

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Im interested in purchasing one of these two synths because they are in the same price range. This will be my first synth and I am not sure if I need the features of the Karma workstation or just a straight up synth like the Virus. I am interested in the sonic possibilities and MIDI sequencing features of the Karma but if I am sequencing and sampling using Logic software would I be better suited for the Virus?

My main concern is sound quality, specifically bass lines for dance music but also Im looking to get as many sounds as possible from one synth. Does the Karma's MOSS expansion card come even close to the Virus in generating analog-like sounds? Also, which has better drum sounds?

Which would be better for interfacing with Logic sequencing and sampling software? I want to be able to play with samples using the keyboard. Also, which would be better suited for use with a 24bit/96khz sound card?

I know that you can expand the sound sets on the Karma with the expansion cards. Virus I believe is not expandable. Is this a limitation?

Note that I will be using the synth for home studio production, not for live performance. I am looking for ease of use (i have never had a synth before), sound quality and possibilities, and ability to interface with Logic sequencing and sampling software. Any advice would be much appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/36             25-Mar-02  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Herb Alpert

Link?:  No link

you don`t make things easy on yourself.

Message 32/36             25-Mar-02  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

xoxos

Link?: Link

rt are you sure you're an american with that kinda talk? don't worry, i've already reported you to the authorities.

Message 33/36             25-Mar-02  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

realtrance

xoxos, I'm honored, thank you!  

Sorry I blew my cover there for a moment, though. Off to buy a pair of Nikes, cya!!! Then.. McDonald's! I'm in heaven! Where are my diet pills? oh.....

rt

Message 34/36             26-Mar-02  @  07:16 PM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

influx

Link?:  Link

dont forget your plastic american flag flapping around on the back of your oversized truck

Message 35/36             27-Mar-02  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

xoxos

err, influx.. that's not the truck..

Message 36/36             29-Mar-02  @  01:05 PM   -   RE: Karma or Virus? Advice needed

Pongoid

I'll tell you all what, what I've made, and what I've found reflected almost NONE of what I've heard for demos of any piece I have. Demos are just to show that it does something interesting but not scare off your average Joe. I'll double that sentiment, especially if it's a Wavestation A/D rack, or an MS20. Got one here, and it sounds way nastier than a Karma could ever sound, but then again it is a semi-modular analog beast, that costs less than half the price of a Karma, and takes time. Arpeggiators? Cute, but they are toys. Lose the bells and whisltes and the Karma's another rompler. Triton wasn't all that hot either. Korg is not the only brand out there. Check out some of the others. You might be surprised by what you find. Still it's all a matter of taste. Go with what works for you even if it is shit after all.  

Ape

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 36 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)