aaa Which motherboard for audio PC? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Which motherboard for audio PC?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 30-Jul-00  @  11:33 AM   -   Which motherboard for audio PC?

emergencyone

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Can anyone recommend a board with a 133MHz front side bus, six PCI slots, 1GIG max ram or higher and Ultra Wide SCSI? I've looked at the Intel SE440BX just because it's compatible, but I'd like something more expandable and powerful...

Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/37             25-Aug-00  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

phunkytek

K, I hear you talk about the VST hoontech systems. What is that? I have Cubase on a pII400 and it cooks with 32 tracks at 16 bit and compressors, and eq's on every track, with full automation and master and a few insert fx. I want more though. I need to buy a new mother board and chip. The question i run into is, my dsp factory card is only made for a 100mhz system, and Cubase is optimized for p3's. I want to buy a board and a 1 gig chip. Should i be concered about the 100mhz card not working on a faster bus. Should I stick with 100mhz sdram and sys bus. Do they evan make 100mhz boards for the new 1 gig p3's.

Message 32/37             25-Aug-00  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

boidie

I believe Pentium E-Series processors (600E etc.) support old 100MhZ motherboads?

Message 33/37             25-Aug-00  @  06:42 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

Breakerbox

Link?:  Link

The pci bus speed is same in all pcs, what you are talking about (i think) is FSB(front side bus) which is 200Mhz on new athlon boards. But the pci bus speed is still same (66mhz).

Message 34/37             25-Aug-00  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

phunkytek

So I'm getting the pci bus confused with system bus? So if I get a new board with a 133 sys bus, can i use my 100mhz ram, or should I trade it in for the newer faster ram since I plan to add another 256megs on my 1 gig machine? I currently use an abit, and i'm not shure which model, but it has a p2 400, and can switch to support pIII500. I would like to go 1 ghz. It has been a very reliable system for me. I think i'll just get the same type of board and chip only faster, and build a second pc with this board and chip. I can put this stuff together with no problem, but i don't know the diferance between an athalon or and E series pentium, or mother boards for that matter.

Message 35/37             26-Aug-00  @  12:54 PM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

k

well, i think alot of the probs before may have been down to issues with the agp running at 66 - Ville just got the hoontech and is running it on, (if i remember right), an Athalon lump on a via chipset 133 board - he's only just set it up, and hasn't had time to test fully, BUT, so far he says no pops or crackles etc in win' MM audio app's.... but let's see how he get's on, we should know by a weeks time - if you interested follow the thread in Soundcard forum -

Message 36/37             27-Aug-00  @  06:58 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

Breakerbox

Link?:  Link

You can use pc100 ram with 133mhz system bus ( my motherboard supports it)
but you should better get pc133 ram since it is faster.

Message 37/37             29-Aug-00  @  01:58 AM   -   RE: Which motherboard for audio PC?

phunkytek

I droped in on the hoontech thread and am blown away. I left you a question there K. Thanks for the info. I'll wait and see how the hoontech systems run before any large purchase. I may follow in suit since I'm using Cubase on a pc as well. Thanks , Brett

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)