aaa Stable soundcard for amd build? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Stable soundcard for amd build?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 27-Jan-03  @  11:11 PM   -   Stable soundcard for amd build?

hutchshop

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Looking for a stable soundcard w/ 2 analog in/out and possibly spdif. I'm trying to do that budget AMD build k's been writing about. I plan to use sonar or another vst compatible sequencer.

I have read that midiman delta cards had problems with the VIA chipsets - but haven't heard anything about the KT333.

Any suggestions?

matt

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/37             01-Feb-03  @  12:10 AM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

Thomas Laskowski

Link?: Link

I'm using staudio dsp24 value and the optional digital bracket with an AMD without any problems.

It's an inexpensive card, and works well... I've been able to get the latency down to 2ms. That's pretty darn good.

Tom

Message 32/37             01-Feb-03  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

psylichon

2 ms eh? That is good. What software/drivers/operating system? I'm interested...

psy

Message 33/37             01-Feb-03  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

Thomas Laskowski

Link?:  Link

Yeah, but that is pretty much the lower limit...

I just tried going to 1 ms, and i got some major crackling sounds...

I'm using windows XP, with latest st audio drivers.

You can get this latency basically for any VST based instrument. At least all the ones i've tried.

As an example I'm using the native instruments Pro-53 demo with 2ms latency with no problems. At that latency, it feels pretty much real time, i certainly can't tell any delay.

I also tried to connect a guitar to the input, and play it thru some vst effects real time. Works pretty well.

Tom

Message 34/37             01-Feb-03  @  08:09 PM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

Thomas Laskowski

Oh ya, i should mention

I'm using an amd xp 1800 with an abit motherboard.

But i'm not running the chip at full speed. I have it downclocked so that I can run the cpu fan from 5 volts instead of 12.

Why would i do that?

Well, it makes my pc virtually inaudible. I also did the same mod for my power supply. I know it probably not safe or definitelly voids your warranty, but i'm willing to pay that price for a quiet computer.

Tom

Message 35/37             03-Feb-03  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

dARKSTATe

What sample-rate & bit depth you running at Tom? And what VST host?

Marc_D

Message 36/37             03-Feb-03  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

Thomas Laskowski

Well,

I mostly use Buzz www.buzzmachines.com as which supports vst plugins.

Running at 44100 16bit...

But i believe i've tried a higher sample rate, with the same results.

Tom

Message 37/37             07-Feb-03  @  09:54 AM   -   RE: Stable soundcard for amd build?

Marc_D

Link?:  No link

Hmmm well the higher sample rates should help on the latency front provided your PC has the muscle (Which it should have)

I guess Buzz has a smaller footprint than SX so that's gotta help you in getting that super low latency too..

Cool

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 37 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)