aaa what chipset for trance? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: what chipset for trance?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 04-Jul-02  @  04:12 PM   -   what chipset for trance?

milan

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

ok, i´m almost ready to get out of stone ages and get a new pc...

so... i have an Echo Gina20 soundcard. would something like ASUS A7V333 and Athlon xp be ok, or is this a no-no because of Via KT chipset? Echo site says KT133 is ok, but this is a KT333 and i have no idea really... i actually hate pc´s, so please clue me in.

muchos gracias, M.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/39             14-Jan-07  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

Link?: Link

effin bloody hell!!!! i just stumbled onto this... you know what this means!?

it means that my pc is almost 5 years old

suppose its about the time i upgraded eh?

might just go for a laptop this time... how fast are they nowadays? intel core duo? i'm still running prehistoric software mostly and none of those huge sample libraries and stuff.

Message 32/39             14-Jan-07  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

mac u mean?.. the Core 2 Duo's yes r the way to go MAC or PC

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 33/39             15-Jan-07  @  08:35 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Moujik

My laptop is a couple of years old now, 1.8Ghz Pentium M with 512 Mb RAM.... still does everything I need & got no plans to uprade within the next year or so.

Anyway, you can get a core duo laptop for £600 and I imagine that would be plenty fast enough.

Message 34/39             15-Jan-07  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

i was round at a mates place yesterday, and he'd won a macbook in a competition!.. jammy or what!

that 1.8 M should do you ok tho, mebbe you dont need to upgrade... not just for the sake of it anyways, we still do all the film stuff on an old amd 2000xp

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 35/39             15-Jan-07  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Moujik

I was quite tempted to get a Macbook until I realised none of my software "cross-grades" to Mac included UB versions

Anyway, like you said the old 1.8 still does the job (and my girlfriend would kill me if I bought another computer...

Message 36/39             15-Jan-07  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

no no... no macs! i'm thinking normal pc, either desktop or a lappie... i have a 1.5ghz (1700xp) athlon so i guess anything recent should be a big improvement. about 30% more power would make me happy i think.

anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts  

Message 37/39             15-Feb-07  @  11:17 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

so the deed is done...

for the first time in my life i bought a bog-standard off the shelf pc, after a lenghty chat with the salesman to find out all i could about the components used, of course  

-core2duo E6300 (1,86ghz)
-Intel mobo
-1gb RAM @ 533mhz
-250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda

-my old Edirol FA-101 firewire interface

happy to say it runs like a motherf...ker! logic tunes i could barely start on my old machine now use about 22-25% of CPU, and thats running at the lowest buffer setting, which is 104 samples!!! that should give me about 5ms latency for thru-the-box monitoring for f's sake!!! :D

oh yeah, its also quieter than my old machine!

ok, i'll say no more but i'm pretty blown away by this, and very very happy

Message 38/39             15-Feb-07  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Moujik

How much did that cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Message 39/39             15-Feb-07  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

800 euros. i could have gotten a 750E one, but the dealer told me to get this one as it has a better power supply (for the "gaming" video card which i wont be using anyway) so it'll run more quietly.

mind you, these are all bog-standard components and you could have a better combo for the same money if you're prepared to build. i just decided to go for this one once i was convinced it will fulfill my needs. that and the fact that i realized i know nothing anymore about how pc's work nowadays.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)