aaa Pulsar is realy good?? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Pulsar is realy good??

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 01-Jan-99  @  07:11 PM   -   Pulsar is realy good??

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

The Pulsar price is euivalent with the card?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/53             14-Jan-99  @  04:04 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

barclay

This question is for Mr. White or anyone else who knows. Does Pulsar support dual processors? I built my own computer with an Asus dual processor mother board, supporting two 350 PII processors and 128 ram. I want to get Pulsar regardless, but would be extremely happy if it could optimize both of my processors. (Yes, i realize it doesn't put a big starin on the CPU)

Message 32/53             14-Jan-99  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Barclay, I'm going to be posing that question directly to Creamware, I'll let you know what I find out.

Message 33/53             14-Jan-99  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

jdwhite

Hi Group:

First, as to sample player multitimbrality... "No". And , yes. Each instance of either sample player can load an "instrument". That "instrument's" performance parameters are defined when it is "constructed". Including multi-sample mapping, velocity mapping, etc.. etc... etc.... Now, there are additional "layers" that can be loaded within the player, too. A total of four layers - the main, plus three. The sample player "F" includes global filter parameter controls that the other does not.

You can load multiple instances of each sample player. Each by itself responds to a particular User selected MIDI channel. Each instance can be assigned to a different MIDI channel. On the web site, (I believe,) Creamware has stated that the intent is to allow up to 64 note polyphony for the sample player. Now, that, I believe, is for the non-"F" version. I have only tried so far playing around with the "F" version and it maxes out at 16 notes. That is part of the trade off. I have not yet personally confirmed that the 64-note polyphony is implemented in the current revision of the software - nor have I determined whether the 64 notes is cumulative amongst all instances of the player, or it is per device loaded.

The point being, you can most definitely have a multitimbral sample playback set-up.

As to whether the application is multi0threaded... No, not at this time. It runs currently only under Win9X - not NT?X?X?X?. The problematics associated with reliable simultaneous audio and MIDI , (and everything else that people would want to do at the same time because "they thought they should be able to",) has compelled Creamware to wait for NT5/2000/??? to evaluate if it can be suitable for the performance level they insist upon.

It is not a matter of hardware compatibility, (it is PCI, after all,) as much as it is driver/application interfacing. Of course, I am not a programmer or engineer and there may be more - or less - to it than that. *shrug* ;o)

Best of Luck!!

(P.S. - you make me blush by calling me Mr. White - Jeff is just fine! ;o) Mr. White is my Dad.)

Jeff White President White Noise Marketing http://www.whitenoisemarketing.com

Message 34/53             14-Jan-99  @  10:25 PM   -   Here's what I want

Mr Realist

I'd like to be able to have drums and maybe a couple more patches for background stuff. I'd like to be able to hear all of this when the sequencers plays back. Is there enough balls in the pulsar sample player to handle a drum kit and a couple more patches all at once?

Mr. Realist

Message 35/53             14-Jan-99  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

gedas.v

You just load several of them. That's what I did the other day. Loaded three sample players. One was doing the drums, the others were for backing tracks. Assigned them to different midi channels, tried out some effects. It all worked fine. I sequence on Cubase.

Message 36/53             15-Jan-99  @  08:24 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

can someone tell me how to reach the mailing list? is there a website entrance or is it a newsgroup? may be i'm doing it wrong, but i didn't get the mailing list :-/

I'll be back here when i have my new p2-350. ij ust bought the pulsar, but the computer store didn't have motherboards left (not the one i wanted). I tried to install pulsar in my 166 non mmx, and it doesn't work. well, i knew it wouldn't work anyway, but it's a week now that pulsaris in front of me , in its box, and it giggles at me!!!!
See ya
Med

Message 37/53             15-Jan-99  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

oh yeah, about OVERCLOCKING,

the pulsar manual says that overclocking of the cpu causes overclocking of the pci bus, from 33mhz to 37,5 or 41. and you may have problems with that as pci is designed for 33mhz max.
CREAMWARE does NOT recommend overclocking of the pci bus.

MED

NB: i'm uploading the PDF manual to my home page so u can dowload it and see a lot more than what can be said (yes, it has screenshot and colors and stuff.) it's more than 4 megs, i hope i have enough disk space...
See ya

Message 38/53             15-Jan-99  @  09:16 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

PULSAR MANUAL IN ENGLISH
http://perso.club-internet.fr/calm/pulsar.htm

If u want, you can get some of my tracks on
http://perso.club-internet.fr/calm/

MED

Message 39/53             15-Jan-99  @  10:38 PM   -   Thanks for the manual

Mr. Realist

I'm checking it out now. I've heard it's not very complete, but we'll see.

Mr. Realist

Message 40/53             19-Jan-99  @  07:03 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

it's a good manual  

on my new p2-350-128mb ram - stb velocity card, pulsar ROCKS
The samplers suck but it doesn't matter, i have my awe64Gold, and i pass it through pulsar mixtable and it rocks even more (good EQ).
But it IS a pro stuff, not a sound card.
MED

i'm going back to pulsar :-)
See ya

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 53 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)