aaa What makes Goa, Goa - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: What makes Goa, Goa

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 28-Feb-00  @  11:25 PM   -   What makes Goa, Goa

AietaD

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I know its a place, and Ive listed to MP3.com examples, but all I come away with is speed techno. Theres obviously alot more going on, but what?

What are the rudiments of Goa, if theres such a thing, or the scales at work here/there.

If possible a grid definition, or any other pointers would be appreciated

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/68             07-Mar-00  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Link?:  Link

Oh, yeah, Bowie passed on just this last November or December.

Message 32/68             07-Mar-00  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Wasn't Malachi Favors one of the guys in the Art Ensemble? We led parallel lives. Zappa was my segue into jazz too. Mclauphlin (sp?) had something to do with it as well. And I could never get excited about that dinnermusic jazz either. Gotta run. Dentist 8(

Message 33/68             08-Mar-00  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

ModAsBlue

I just read someone mentioning Shakti and I had to interject...

I saw Shakti at the Detroit Orchestra Hall last year it it was by far the best concert I've ever been to in my entire life. I was totally tripping out when I left....better than any drug. It was totally amazing even though i don't really understand ragas and all of that Eastern Music formal stuff... this one drummer (not Zakir Hussien, but the other guy) made this souped up-tamborine looking thing sound like a whole drum set... 10 or more timbres and crazy 32nd notes... Zakir, at one point, did a jazz walking bass line on his tablas (out of nowhere) and they each did crazy long solos and call and response...

AMAZING...

Fuck Dave Matthews and his lame ass jam rock...

Message 34/68             18-Mar-00  @  05:23 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Pongoid

Such a pleasure to see some rounding in this forum. From Shakti to the Art Ensemble, to some Israeli Goa cheese, WOW! Admittedly, the Indian scale systems used in making Goa trance can be quite sophisticated, by most of the listeners, and makers of this kind of music don't understand these theories, especially the sliding note stuff. It is like some of my friends have said: Israelis selling loads of acid, and playing DATs and traveling the world and being utter nazis about this music. Another things that irks me about Goa trance is the rythmic dynamics, or rather lack thereof. Sorry to bitch about this artform, but the whole energy surround this music, from the desecration of Goa and it's people to the attitudes and actions of its proponents around the world, drives me up the wall. The tranceheads on the oher side of the planet are exactly the same as at home. I'm trying not to be hateful, but they make it difficult. Oh well, I like traditional Indian music, but this bastard Goa trance shit is for the birds.

Ape

Message 35/68             18-Mar-00  @  06:00 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

nobody

birds seem to make some really beautiful music. to my ear at least.. i guess i really used to like planet b.e.n. & transient guys, nervasystem, doof, orichalcum, a lot them goa peoples......... give me some high powered hallucinogenics & the goa records are all over my turntables. otherwise, they'll just sit in the cardboard boxes like they always do, over in another room.... ba..

Message 36/68             18-Mar-00  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Yeah, we did veer off course there a bit, 'ey?

Message 37/68             19-Mar-00  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Pongoid

What makes Goa Trance is a couple of slick arpeggiated lines of an approximation of and Indian mode on a 303 trough some delays and really clean production with a shitty rythmic line, and some cheesey mgovie samles thrown in for even poorer measure. Show me different and I may feel otherwise. Well it's that and the tranceheads that worship the shit that make it what it is. Get over Goa. It's dead. Let it be that way. It was fresh and innovative 8 years ago. It's not anymore. Let it go and move on.

Ape

Message 38/68             25-Mar-00  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

ahmebah

'tis the same with damn near anything... Just remember, at one time, even cheesy vocal house music was a new,cool,underground thing.

It's so much work to stay ahead of the crowd, ahead of the crap, ahead of the fucking wankers trying to make a buck off a bunch of drugged up raver kiddies...

Message 39/68             11-Apr-00  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

FreddyFresh

Link?: Link

i've learned a lot from this thread so i'll stop it from disapearing

Message 40/68             17-Apr-00  @  08:11 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

neil_chambers

This is my take on it, and what I tend to use to approach it:

Scales: Other than using a variety of minor scales as described above, you can use pretty much any scale with a bit of chromaticism thrown in at the wnd of the riff, usually with some portamento. It's not like the writers know fuck all about scales is it?

Chord progressions: not much going on here but avoid the 4 chord cheesey progs of progressive trance.

Sounds: 909 drums, distorted 303s for leads and Juno sounds for basslines. Quite of few of those otherwise useless "FX" sounds you have lying around.

Those trancey/acid arpeggios: Write a short (4 or 5 notes over 1 bar) little tune (let's say it starts on "C"), not go into the editor and set it all to 16ths. Fill in any empty 16th notes with "C"'s an octave above or below the root note of your tune. This will give you that pacey arp you hear which sounds a lot more complex than it is. Give it a bit of ping-pong echo (left set to quarter notes and right to 8ths), distortion and filtersweep and you are there!

Vocals: some bird dreamily harping on about the earth radiating mystic energy etc normally goes down well with the disenfranchised white middle-class audience who are dying to be told their drug induced philosophies which allow them to spend their inheritance on an extended pilled up beach holiday is not only good but deeply spiritual (this is the bit I don't like about Goan trance!)

If the guy who asked this is really interested I will mail him with some MIDI parts! Not that I am saying what I do is authentic!

N

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 68 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)