aaa Drum'N'Bass Area - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Drum'N'Bass Area

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Original Message                 Date: 16-Oct-99  @  07:30 PM   -   Drum'N'Bass Area

wai

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Welcome to this new forum dedicated to the harder, phatter edge of dance music. Share your ideas, tips etc...Discuss about anything concerning the production of "Drum'n'Bass music. Hope this will be an active forum.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/89             31-Oct-99  @  03:57 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

I`m using an Emu 6400 Ultra which is perfect 4 d+b - Its gotta powerfull synthesis engine which makes it very versatile, it has a fairly transparent sound and plenty of those lovely filters. When I was looking around 4 my sampler I tried a few out + the 1 I liked the most was the Roland S-760 - real warm sounding with nice filters but it seemed real user-unfriendly which scared me off. I looked at Akais as well including the S5000 wich is a fine machine, the topend maybe the brightest of all I tried, but overall I thought the Emu sounded nicer and had the more powerful editing options. If you`re looking 4 a sampler 2 get into d+b u could do a lot worse than the Emu ESI-32 which is dirt cheap right now, its a good sounding, flexible beast and in my opinion a better bet than the equivalent Akai.

Message 32/89             31-Oct-99  @  07:14 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

wai

If the kik's boosted at 80hz, it dosn't interfer with the bass which for d+B is about 50-60hz. I used to have that problem when i used to eq the whole break, the kik getting cluttered up with the bass, and sending levels to heaven and beyond. While the rest of the break sounded weak.
I'm an Ultra user aswell.
My friend,s just bought an Akai CD3000xl, there's things you can do on that that the emu can't. but there's things on the Emu that the Akai can't.
It all comes down to what features you like and if your gonna use,em. Oh yea, the Akai is not as user friendly as the Emu.
I love my ultra, but i think i'm gonna get an Akai aswell, so i'll have the best of both worlds.

Message 33/89             31-Oct-99  @  08:17 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

Ah well, my desk doesn`t have hz markings on it, only -15 - +15. I jus` tweak it till it sounds right.

Message 34/89             31-Oct-99  @  09:08 AM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

atombom

If theres any way in the world you can get a dedicated parametric or 32 band stereo EQ then just do it. It will turn your sound upside down and backwards. Go to Shareware and download a spectrum analyzer. See your bass drums interacting with your bass!

I wanted a real simple and friendly interface for sampling...Ahhh, ESI-4000 w128MB with ZIP drive...E4 next. Just waiting for my stock options to get more vested.

About the EQ: suck out the region between the fundamental bass and the kik drum to clear up minor problems.

Message 35/89             01-Nov-99  @  09:53 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

jwa

Does anyone have any thoughts on the MPC2000XL? How good is it? I am wanting to produce old school jungle sounds... ie - tunes like hyper on experience on shadow or "want you know" by d'cruze on subbase no.25 (not really looking at all for the 2 step style that is used often now) Is the MPC2000XL good for this kind of thing?

Does anyone have any good recommendations for what equipment would be good ie - drum machine or sampler for producing a wide range of sounds (beats, jungle, etc)?

Someone has informed me that the MPC2000XL is easy to use and you can basically take the sounds from any drum machine.

Anyway your input is appreciated.

Thanks Cal.

Message 36/89             01-Nov-99  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

spockears

You only need to ask us once man. You only need to ask us once man. You only need to ask us once man.

Drum machines offer portability and lots of tricks in one box. The sampling drum machines are very fast and intuitive also. If you want full flexability and to sound like whatever you want then look at some high end samplers like the rack mount EMU's and AKAI's. The MPC's are a bit lacking in the filter area.

Message 37/89             02-Nov-99  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

R-Tek

...and u dont really wanna bother with drum machines at all if you`re into the oldskool sound.....best off spendin` all ya dough on a sampler...

Message 38/89             02-Nov-99  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

spectraphonix

I've listening D&B for 3 Years and now it is a year i'm trying to play it.The matter is that where I live (Pisa,Italy)there is almost no one I can speack with to have some tip or tricks.So guys....HELP me!!!!!
I have started cutting breaks from jazz drum solos ,snares sounds good,Kicks not so much and groove is missing.What is your way of working?
See ya!

Message 39/89             02-Nov-99  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

jwa

Ok..... a sampler seems the go.... so say I get something like an s2000 or s6000..... where do i go from there to develope beats.... sorry the whole process at current is highly confusing for me....
thanks

Message 40/89             02-Nov-99  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: Drum'N'Bass Area

wai

If your a beginner, you don't need to buy the S6000, the 50000 is just basically the same, but without the features that pros need.
Check out Emus also, far easier to use, better filters, better synth capabilities you programm it like a modular synth.
But there are little things that Akai do that Emus can't, and there are things Emu's do that Akai can't.
If you want Breakbeats, check out sample cd's which are the essential source for breaks, unless you have thousands of 70's rare groove/ hip hop/ soul/ jazz records to sample from.
If you send me an e mail, i'll link you to someone in the uk selling original cd's at knockdown prices

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

There are 89 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)