aaa Trance dilemma - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Trance dilemma

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 14-May-02  @  09:26 PM   -   Trance dilemma

proximus

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hello..

I have question about trance..

I've always put my snare\clap on the 1. and 3. kick when I make trance.. while everybody uses the 2. and 4. kick.. someone said it sounded weird with clap on 1. and 3. kick.. but is it really wrong to do it? c'mon, it's four on the floor beat.. of course I understand that in other genres it would be wrong.. i.e. start with a snare in a drum n'bass beat..

Is it *legal* to put the snare\clap on the 1. and 3. kick in trance you think? Does it REALLY matter?

Ok, unless if it's mixed a dj mixed.. cos then you'd have a snare\clap on every kick.. that is understandable, but still.. is it such a big problem.. it is 4 on the floor..

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/40             20-May-02  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

Link?: Link

hehe.. I'm not quite new to this you know, that's what makes it a bit embarrasing. I've been making music for 4 years or more..

Thanks for leaving the insults because that was not insulting at all. It's always nice to have marks against your musical intellect from someone that really knows you. Cheers!

But you see, my house tunes and my breakbeat related music have the snares right. It's just that I don't consider trance to be funky or groovy in the same way as i.e. house so I thought it really didn't matter where I put the snares.

You are talking about being an intellect and you are saying trance is for people who are not funky is using stereotypes. Personally, I do not only listen to one kind of music and I do respect other people's taste of music.

What do you mean by aesthetic when talking about my imagination?

Thanks for the support

Message 32/40             20-May-02  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

xoxos

i have to side against pongoid here. i like the proximus stuff i've heard, i'm all for binary rhythms, mono-ary rhythms, whatever (hey who turned off that tape of a drum loop thru a distortion pedal that's been playing the same thing for 20 minutes? i was jsut getting into it..) i'm a mentalist as it's said and funk is optional.

for further insight into this debate i suggest listening to cloud 9's more 'jarring' tracks (ie. the ones with the snare, kick and crash on all fours plus a pick-up on every eighth eighth for like nine minutes) as i say, it's like standing under a 20,000 watt bulb but you can't deny the heart is there.

Message 33/40             21-May-02  @  12:05 AM     Edit: 21-May-02  |  12:06 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

gb

Link?:  Link

Hmmmm...

I bought one CD with DJ Misjah and one with DJ Misja Helsloot because I liked that ITWT one so much.

It seems proximus is right, misjah is not the same guy as Misja H. Somebody ought to sue somebody...

At any rate, I listened to the whole DJ Misja Helsloot Creation Day One or whatever CD tonight. And what I said before is still true to me. It's well made, it's good driving music if you're going to drive for an hour or two, and it's impossible to remember afterwards.

BTW, one of the songs IS interesting, not because it's all that good but because it sounds like he's overdriving the 01v input gain for effect...

Message 34/40             21-May-02  @  12:48 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

what u wrote gb got me thinking.. what if there was a well established artist called for instance "Jon Smith" and your real name was Jon Smith. Do you then have the legal right to release stuff under the name "Jon Smith"?

A lot of artists use their real name you know.

Message 35/40             22-May-02  @  08:31 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

DjMik

Link?:  No link

I always read threads that are old and throw in a comment after 100 posts.   Anyway.. I sort of know what you mean xoxos. I think it's ok to put a clap on the 1. and 3. kicks..only you need another way to get more energy on the 2. and 4. kicks. If the first kick explodes and the second one is softer the beat sounds weird. You need some kind of 'thump' or 'splash' or 'whoomp' or something on the 2. and 4. beat.. Anyway..it could be cool to make the beat sound like one kick "off" and then throw in something that turns the beat around. Humm...whatever.  

Message 36/40             22-May-02  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

xoxos

i suppose asexuality/primeness isn't good for dance  

it has a 'splash!' feel, like diving into an i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-icee lake. in my own distorted mind i could see it working very nicely for a track in a club env. but only in contrast to other tracks (so maybe just even as a passage) where the rhythm pulls oyu one way, then the other, making you it's slave..

..it'd be like perfect for an accelerating tempo bit.

mebbe i'll igve it a shot too  

Message 37/40             22-May-02  @  01:52 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

yeah.. a stunt

Message 38/40             24-May-02  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

Check this out:

"The forces of Chicane, Airwave & Coast2Coast-like sounds combine to produce this epic piece. I especially like how the snare sound comes in on the first beat out of every two throughout, as opposed to every second beat (unlike just about all dance tunes ever made) - it adds a weird effect to the groove and only makes it easier for you to be taken away in a trance-like state, rather than following the beat mindlessly. A highly established and great track!"

Now how about that you conservative "snare placers" :D :D :D

Message 39/40             25-May-02  @  02:54 AM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

xoxos

sock it to 'em proximus! they got to learn

Message 40/40             25-May-02  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: Trance dilemma

proximus

=)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)