aaa Need some serious advice... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Need some serious advice...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 09-Aug-02  @  04:15 PM     Edit: 09-Aug-02  |  04:16 PM   -   Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I posted a message earlier asking about a synth for strings and pads. After considering the advice I was given and after some serious thinking I have decided to go for either the Virus C or the SupernovaII Rack, as they can do alot more than strings and pads and I will make a hell of a lot of use out of them.

Now that it is comming to purchasing the synth I would like to know if any one has any advice as to which I should go for. I have tested the synths and found them both to be excellent. But I didn't like the Supernovas effects, and it's percussive sounds seemed a bit weak. The reverb sounds absolutely terrible. Nor did I like the Virus interface, in particular the way that you have to use the menu to access the third oscilator (ironic from a company called access) but the virus did sound bloody fantastic. The thing is, I only got about an hour to try them out so I have booked two hours with the shop to give them a good workout. Does any one have anything to tell me about either synth? Particularly, anything that I should look out for when testing them? Do either have any limitations that the other covers? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/43             14-Aug-02  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

swanofnever

you're such a lucky bastard.

Message 32/43             14-Aug-02  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

Link?: Link

heh. fortunate, yes. Lucky, no 

I did get hooked up on this one. You know whats funny? so far I HATE the interface! Im so used to the older version...all these buttons are confusing!!!

Message 33/43             14-Aug-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Scott Digweed

i'll trade you my B for your C. where you live? :-]

Scott

Message 34/43             17-Aug-02  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

WOW! I gave the VirusKC a good test and am sold. One thing I couldn't try though, can you route an external signal through the Virus filters? The salesman told me you can do this with the effects, but I forgot to ask if I can apply the filters as well.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 35/43             17-Aug-02  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

Link?:  Link

yes

and no thanks on the trade. I have a KB here too 

Message 36/43             17-Aug-02  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Awesome! Thanks for all of your help people! It has been very usefull, I'll be buying a Virus next week now. Can't wait!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 37/43             20-Aug-02  @  08:48 AM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

influx

hey, wait.

was i helpful?

wow! Im not a dick!

Message 38/43             20-Aug-02  @  09:30 AM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

psylichon

I hate to throw a wrench into things, but I have have to say this:

I have a Nova and always considered it a premier pad machine (I've also used a Virus, Wavestation, and other synths good at pads). Then I tried Absynth. I'd now sell the Nova if it didn't have knobs.

If you're not opposed to soft synths, Absynth produces, without a doubt, the most amazing pads of any synth, hard or soft. This is my opinion, but there are sounds in the the pads bank that are truly transcendental. And you can't argue with 64-breakboint envelopes when it comes to sound evolution. Hell, you can draw your own waveform for the osc if it doesn't have enough harmonics for ya! It's amazing! Check out a crack if you have to, but this thing is worth every penny.

You many need to run it through some outboard effects (software or hardware) as it doesn't do the most convincing reverb, but it's effects are quite startling and unique and useful in their own way.

PLEASE check out Absynth if you really are interested in saving money here. I think you'll be surprised.

psylichon

Message 39/43             20-Aug-02  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

Steve Roughley

Unfortunately I can't use soft-synths on my machine. If you check my posts under Logic, you will see that I have tried everything and can't get them to work. Cheers for the advice though. :¬)

Regards.

Steve.

Message 40/43             20-Aug-02  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: Need some serious advice...

99devils

You can run external audio through pretty damn near the entire synth engine. FX, envelopes, and filters.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)