aaa while on the subject of compressors - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: while on the subject of compressors

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 09-Aug-02  @  10:32 PM   -   while on the subject of compressors

Brett

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

my freind has released a few rcords that sound pretty good. He used softsynths run through a SSL at a studio his freind interns at. His kicks and bass are pretty tight. They have that crunch in the bottom I like. I had read a while back that the compressors in the SSL are very good for this. What kind of compressors are in those consoles and do they sell them as stand alone units. If not what is a good stand alone equivelant?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/55             16-Aug-02  @  03:24 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

formant

Link?:  Link

oh the 'that' guy worked at dbx before designing these clone chips:

"This is the original IC VCA designed under THAT President Les Tyler's supervision while he was the chief engineer at dbx, Inc. "

you would hope the chief engineer at DBX would know if he had cloned it correctly :-)

as for the circuit workaround this DIY guy made, maybe you could email him and ask for clarification or something?

jamey

Message 32/55             16-Aug-02  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

formant

"New generation of Voltage Controlled Amplifiers"

taken from the C2 page... they won't be using the original dbx202 either. probably the That chips as well

can you try one of these smarts out before you buy it?

is there a studio near you with an ssl desk? it would be cheaper to run an hours worth of mixes thru it to cd than to buy a $1500 compressor if thats your main purpose for it.

jamey

Message 33/55             16-Aug-02  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

Brett

true, but what about using a comp for tracking as well or on individual channels. I want one that can do both which is why the DIY ssl comp won't work for me. the limited number of ratio's and settings is big draw back. I don't think it would be good for anything but stereo bus compresion or sub group compression.

You think you can get that whole project done in less then a 100hours. First locating materials, parts, setup time for making the pcb. The actual process of making the pcb. Assembling everything, mounting in the case and cutting all the holes in the case. I can't see it being any less than that. It's probably cheaper to build than the tube stuff, but a lot more involved. The la2a kit is so simple. No pcb's to worry about.

I wonder if there is a way to change the design to incorporate more ratio and attack settings? We should e-mail keven. I would be willing to do it if it did. What do you think this project would cost?

Message 34/55             17-Aug-02  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

formant

the most expensive parts are the powersupply and case... i am thinking maybe $150-200

my dad is an expert at DIY and has been doing ham radios for the better part of his life and knows the stuff inside out. i am hoping to get a bit of this knowledge transferred to me :-) if it takes 100 hours thats fine, it didn't look like that big of a project to me. he already has the jewelers drills and variable temp soldering iron etc. he can also teach me how to read schematics ha ha...

the reason i want to build it is i want a master compressor to go on the outputs of my yamaha rs7000 when playing live and also perhaps when mastering tracks it would be nice to fatten them up as well. i wouldn't see myself using it on individual tracks as those are almost always done inside the computer. no reason i couldn't put it on the outs of my nord tho! i think having limited settings for compression ratios etc is what gives it its sound. like all the old eqs and stuff would never have fully adjustable eq points, they would always be set at musically usefule points etc.

link for the LA2A please? :-)

jamey

Message 35/55             17-Aug-02  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

Brett

it's a book I found for $25.00. I think I posted it on another thread here. I'll look. It is a very simple design but a lot more expensive because of the transformer. But the la2a is supposed to be perfect on snares and things with sharp transients.

Listen, if you are going to do the ssl comp. will you do a extra set of pcb's drilled for me if I pay you, And give me a copy of the parts list after your dad goes through the drawings? I have repaired my analog synths and soldered chips on and off of boards doing rework when I worked at Compaq, but never made a pcb before adn don't have the jewelers drill for making all the holes in it.

I'll find the LA2A material.

Message 36/55             17-Aug-02  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

brett

Link?: Link

here you go.

Message 37/55             17-Aug-02  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

formant

heh you are in line behind nomad for a pcb...

i suppose once you get it set up its not to hard to burn off a few more :-)

keep in mind this could be a year long project of me and the dad putting back cold ones as we hang out :-)

jamey

Message 38/55             17-Aug-02  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

Brett

I am more on the lines of order the parts and knock it out in week!

Message 39/55             18-Aug-02  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

brett

http://advancedcircuits.com

this company does the pcb manufacturing. for 3 prototype one off's at 4" x 7" it's $94. And they can probably do both boards on one piece for a little more, and then we just have to cut them apart. This is with a 3 day turnaround. That is pretty cool . We would probably spend that going to kinkos and getting the transparencies made correctly and the lightbulbs etc. Plus they will be done right most likley. So if we throw in we can have them made pretty cheap.

Message 40/55             18-Aug-02  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

Brett

I stand corrected. It was $94 per board. hum? not so cheap.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 55 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)