aaa Getting A Dubby Sound - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Getting A Dubby Sound

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 13-Nov-02  @  03:13 PM   -   Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Any suggestions for getting a proper dubby sound. No, I haven't got a tape echo box.

Anyway, is spring reverb the way to go. Plus are offical dub delys really just 3/16th? (Is that triplets?).

Also, dubby baselines. Are they just simple sines with the 60-80hz whacked up on the desk?

And what exactly are triplets and how do they work? Everytime, I try and fit 3 notes, equally spaced, in between the kick and snare (ie 4 16ths, it sounds wrong). I thought triplets were fitting just 3 16ths into the spave of 4 16ths. Obviously not. Help much appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/60             14-Nov-02  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

Link?: Link

yeah, you can do that with the logic delay, record some automation in with some midi controllers - send, feedback and groove slider.

in fact i might go do that right now. m, you had trouble mapping midi controllers to automation?

Message 32/60             14-Nov-02  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

err... no? not really, my only problem is that every plug/synth uses different controllers. but for example, i made a promix template for the A1 so i can twiddle with all 16 faders. i guess making a simple one for jamming with the delay shouldnt be a problem.

Message 33/60             15-Nov-02  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

psylichon

Link?:  Link

the terminology can be cofusing. So, generally:

eighth-note triplet = 1/3 of a quarter note
(if your sequencer is 960 pulses per quarter note, one of these would be 320 pulses or ticks or whatever. This is the type you're talking about here)

quarter-note triplet - 1/3 of a half-note
(2*960/3 = 640 pulses)

sixteenth-note triplet = 1/3 of a eighth note
(960/2/3 = 160 pulses)

Now, 1/8-note triplets are easily confused with a popular dub delay time, 3/16 (3 sixteenth-note lengths). This is a dotted-eigth delay that hits every 1.5 beats (dotted notes are 1.5 times longer than their undotted version, so a dotted eigth note would be 3/4 of a beat instead of 1/2... and 3 16th-notes are the same length). This is NOT a triplet. If you mess around with your delays, you'll hear the difference in vibe.

psylichon

Message 34/60             15-Nov-02  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

Great. So Bedwyr, what your saying is not to swing triplets cos their kinda swang already? I tried last night and found that triplets fall on 1, 81, 161 ticks. So if I use 16c as a swing, then should I move the 2nd triplet by 41 ticks aswell or just leave it?

Also Bedwyr, I have been using the same swing (16c+41 ticks) for all my drums and bass. Is that good enough? Do you think its more pumping compression that makes a track groove?

Also do you keep your snare/claps dead on or make them come in slightly early? (ie 5 ticks)

Sorry, for all the questions but groove is a complex creature to me. :-)

Message 35/60             15-Nov-02  @  10:45 AM     Edit: 15-Nov-02  |  10:46 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

"should" well, have a listen to that brandy track that rodney jerkins did. chart rnb thing, can't remember the name of it at the moment. anyone?

and why don't you do one 8 bar loop at 16c and one at 16c + 41 ticks and decide for yourself? innit.

or just do it with the q-swing parameter, and shift it until it feels right. you could select all your relevant parts and just tweak the whole lot in one go  

Message 36/60             15-Nov-02  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

"and why don't you do one 8 bar loop at 16c and one at 16c + 41 ticks and decide for yourself? innit".

What do you mean Bedwyr? Sorry, I'm thick.

Message 37/60             15-Nov-02  @  11:09 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

do 8bars of music with everything quantized at 16c and another 8 bars with it all at 16c+41 and see which one feels better.

and that brandy track, "what about, what about .." what's it called? that was the freakiest tune on totp in ages.

Message 38/60             15-Nov-02  @  11:18 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

But bruv, 16c + 41 is 81 ticks. I am confused now. Ummmm.

Message 39/60             15-Nov-02  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

man... destinys child have some mad swing in their tunes. listen to THAT. bootylicious, bugaboo etc... groove like hell but you wont even notice it unless you pay attention.

Message 40/60             15-Nov-02  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

"I have been using the same swing (16c+41 ticks) for all my drums and bass"

you started it!  

i don't think in ticks, so 16c+41 might be crazy. all i'm saying is, try different swing out, do what feels right. i think i might start doing milan's thing with the q-swing.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 60 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)