aaa Hardware compressors - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Hardware compressors

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  01:41 PM   -   Hardware compressors

Def Z

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm looking to add a h/w compressor to my studio. I have some good s/w ones, but I miss the ability to compress things realtime while I'm composing and arranging. I have a nice unit (Focusrite Tonefactory) that has some simple adjustments for recording acoustic things (voice included), but I'd like to add something that has all the features. I'm looking for a unit that has the following features...

1. Full control of Attack, Release, Threshold, Ratio

2. LOW LOW LOW noise

3. Dual Mono (for compressing a bassline and a kick drum simultaneously

4. $500 or less (US)

The units that have been recommended to me are the Presonus ACP-22 (I had a bluemax that was quite good and I am leaning towards them for product loyalty), a dbx160, the HHB Fat Man, a Summit box and a Joe Meek. Because I have a good mic-pre in the Tonefactory, this unit will only be used for instruments, and again, a LOW noise floor is very important. Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/69             07-Dec-02  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

Link?:  Link

so get the god damn compounder you NUT.

just kiddin..

I dont get why you need something for "composing"...but hey. its all you.

Message 32/69             07-Dec-02  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Pongoid

Link?: Link

You can get some ok pump by backing off of the attack and release , and setting the threshold lower, then raising the gain, and ratio on the RNC. I'm getting mine to pump more and more, but yes it is pretty tranparent for the most part, and I kind of prefer that. For software, you want pump? Try the Timeworx CompressorX. Hardware hard pumper? How much you want to spend? I've seen a lot of kids in Europe using the Drawmer, but I'm not into that completely squashed out to hell crap, where all you hear is a distorted kick, then it lets off, and the rest of the sounds rush in for a fraction of a second, only to be squashed out of the mix again by the kick. No real single solution. I'm happy with my sound, but it's not your sound. What are you trying to achieve, and what are you trying to compress?

Ape

Message 33/69             08-Dec-02  @  12:55 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

As I said, I'm looking for some compression on kicks and bass. Something to round out the bass some, with a little pumping. I'm not a squasher either, but some subtle compression is what I am after. The type of compression on my Tonefactory is nice, but I would like more control. The degrees to which you alluded to )"that completely squashed out to hell crap, where all you hear is a distorted kick, then it lets off, and the rest of the sounds rush in for a fraction of a second, only to be squashed out of the mix again by the kick") Ape, are a little more than I am looking for (I know the sound). I think something fairly transparent is more appropriate for the type of music I do.

Message 34/69             08-Dec-02  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

honestly..if youre happy with the tone factory, then youd like a compounder. it can be mean and it can be clean, both just as easily

Message 35/69             09-Dec-02  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

okay - I'm looking at the compounder as well. A little hard to come by, however. I see one on Ebay, and nowhere else. They got good reviews as well - kind of difficult to choose between a couple of RNC's and a Compounder, though.

Message 36/69             09-Dec-02  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

no, its not. not if you want aggressive "soundy" compression 

sure there are others, but if youve narrowed it down then its the compounder for sound

tell you what holmes. play your cards right and you could get BOTH for that $500 you wanted to spend.

serious

Message 37/69             09-Dec-02  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

xoxos

get the one with all the numbrers for the name. that's much more impressive and spaceshipy than some 'soundcuddler' word sort of name.

Message 38/69             09-Dec-02  @  11:41 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

dunno. compounder sounds pretty badass

Really Nice Compressor 

awwwwwww.

1176!

Message 39/69             10-Dec-02  @  10:56 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Mindspawn

I've been after a compunder for a while Z. I heard one about two years back that a guy (Mindfield) was running on his live PA kit. Been trying to get one off and on ever since... I either can't find one when I do have cash, or I find 'em and don't have the spare dosh to snag it.... BAH... One day...

But yeah, I do like the "sound" of the compounder, although it do seem to be fairly transparent when you wants.

Message 40/69             11-Dec-02  @  01:24 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Well, believe it or not, I'm kinda thinkin' that an investment in software might be a better investment. Something like a Waves package with the compressor and that MaxxBass thingy... Aren't they getting kinda annoying with their copyright protections, though?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 69 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)