aaa Cheaper monitors the way? - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Cheaper monitors the way?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 29-Jan-03  @  02:20 AM   -   Cheaper monitors the way?

SpinbacK

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Ok, Really struggling with my mixing here-

Im using a pair of JBL studio series monitors (forget model number)and am thinking of changing them- I can get my mixes to sound pretty good on them, A/B'ing against pro tracks sounds similar. i listen on a couple of hi-fi's round the house and everything sounds well spaced out and eq'd. The mix sounds comparable(ish) to the tracks im listening against.

Im working in clubs 2 or 3 nights a week so i can listen to them on a big system, however, as soon as they get played across a club system they sound dreadful.

My friend has got these ancient shabby sony speakers hooked up to his stereo and when i played him the track, i could here exactly where the mix was wrong on his set-up, like i could on the big club systems.

Basically looking for any advice on where to go from here- they dont make ns-10's anymore right?
When i bought these monitors i A/B'd against a few others including Spirit Absolute's etc but ive now lost total faith in these jbl monitors along with my ears  

Any thoughts appreciated

SpinbacK

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/40             31-Jan-03  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

SpinbacK

Influx- you just got one released right?- how did that go?

spinback

Message 32/40             31-Jan-03  @  01:20 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

milan

Link?: Link

you should get it sounding as good as possible before sending it off for mastering. ideally, they would slightly tweak the freqencies and make it a bit louder, but thats about it. i hear many tunes which have been compressed to jesus at the mastering stage but you can bet that the tonal balance was simmilar to that even before mastering. you see, fixing stuff at the mastring stage is a rather risky business because you cant really influence one element without influencing the rest, even with multiband compression. so... make it sound good, test it out with a version where you *maybe* did some limiting on the final mix, just to get the loudness there, but send an unprocessed version of the final mix to the mastering house. your mix should be maybe about 90% of the finished product, e.g. as good as you can make it.

Message 33/40             31-Jan-03  @  01:31 AM     Edit: 31-Jan-03  |  01:56 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

BlooVooDoo

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Think I may do a bit of re-aranging, the positioning wont be helping much,

Message 34/40             31-Jan-03  @  01:35 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

influx

got 3 tracks out now. 2 on KWS, one on Dulcet in FL

how did it go? meaning?

I got the mixes as good as I could...to where it sounded ok, then had it mastered (which, to answer your question is NOT where the majority of stuff goes on..as others stated its only a "finalizing" process in which slight compression/limiting and eqing are done. well..maybe not so slight sometimes, but...your job is to get it solid as can be from the start)

my mixes have gotten better with practice. thats kinda all there is to it. Im lucky to have two friends who are pretty well-versed in audio engineering so Ive been blessed

Message 35/40             31-Jan-03  @  02:10 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

BlooVooDoo

yup, thats the kinda thing i was asking. cheers

Message 36/40             31-Jan-03  @  03:13 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

influx

if your monitors are as tucked in the corner as that pic makes it seem then you could be in for some REAL trouble.

got anything behind em?

Message 37/40             31-Jan-03  @  03:58 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

d

so, essentially you've got an 11 ft cube with a little cubby along one side??!?! oh no! any treatment?

Message 38/40             31-Jan-03  @  06:58 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

SpinbacK

Nope, fraid not!

I'm thinkin of rearanging onto the door wall so the sound wont be trapped, but the room isn't 'strictly' a studio see, so Ive other factors to take into account.

Basically im thinking of emptying the room and building and arranging it as ideal a studio as i can first, then fitting the other bits in to whats left over (i.e-bed!) instead of the other way round which is what seems to be the case just now.

so kinda like checking my bed into that cubby, and picking the best wall to start on...

Any thoughts?

spinback

Message 39/40             31-Jan-03  @  07:10 AM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

psylichon

put your shit against the 11-ft window wall. make sure you can see out that window. smoke fatties regularly. make hits.

psy

Message 40/40             31-Jan-03  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: Cheaper monitors the way?

spinback

LOL, dont do the last two, but ill have a go at the first couple

spinback

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)