aaa Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 01-Aug-98  @  10:08 PM   -   Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

Phill

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Yo Supernova Supporters!!

We are going to update the Factory sounds with version 3 OS to take advantage of new parameters. This presents an opportunity to update the factory sounds.

Please, Please advise your thoughts on the following:

Firstly what sounds in the Factory Sounds you think are useless!!

- we will delete these and add new ones...

What type of sounds do you want to see more of?

Please describe the sounds "You" want in detail. "More Pads" for example is not really enough, "Deep Atmosphere AKA Korg Wavestation" is better.

If you have any sounds you think kick a___ for the Supernova then please send to me @ p.macdonald@btinternet.com.

We are going to compile a new set of factory sounds for Version 3 OS of Supernova. Any comments welcome. All older versions of factory sounds will be available on our internet site.
http://www.nova-uk.com.

Cheers,
Phill@Novation

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/79             04-Feb-99  @  06:10 AM   -   RE: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

David Teren

I think he's talking about gating. I recently had one on loan from Hohner (South Africa - Yes we got them here to!)
Anyway, if you have a chord playing that's being sustained and draw in volume or expression changes to create a gating effect this results in a bit of clipping and noise.

Other than that it's the most impressive synth I've ever laid my hands on.

Keep up the good work.

P.S. How about make a PC Sound Card with the Synth capabilities of the Supernova, but more openened.......Drool,,,,

Message 32/79             04-Feb-99  @  09:13 AM   -   RE: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

trancer

Well I think Andy means some chopper effect which means that a pad sound is very fast turned on and off synced to the beat. I've also used such sounds but I've created them with Generator (a software synth) which has sampling capabilities. I would also doubt that Supernova can handle such a treatment without "clicks" and clipping. This effect needs to turn on and off a sound about 5 times per second (or even more)...at 140 bpm...

Message 33/79             10-Feb-99  @  09:16 AM   -   RE: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

willy

Very few of the factory sounds are totally useless even if some are a bit similar. However there doesn't seem to be a place for some really grinding heavy bass techno sounds. Also i think a few more tb-303 sounds would be nice as you can never get enough 303's. Also some trancy dave clark red II reversee stab sounds would be good if you know what i mean. How about a lot more percussion with maybe some 505, 606, 626 and 707 sounds as well as the 808's and 909's as this would make it a bit different to other synths and give greater variety. Please don't think that i don't like the current sounds cause i do but i think that they could be improved.

cheers willy

Message 34/79             22-Feb-99  @  05:56 AM   -   RE: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

Jer

Dear Phill,

You are handling the negative feedback with enormous resilience. You deserve a 'round of applause. I for one love my Supernova! I compared the Roland, Virus, Waldorf, and Supernova before making my decision. Even if the effects are not the Lexicon some seem to expect, I for one have found them extremely useful and versatile. I must confess that I logged onto the site hoping to download OS3 due to the recent article in Future Music. I was mildly disappointed. But after reading the client feedback, I found many opinions to be in very poor taste. Why would you spend $2000 bucks on a board you didn't thoroughly investigate. I ran the various synths through the gauntlet and found the Supernova had the most balls, the most diverse soundscape, crystalline
sensitivity to shimmery sounds, and versatile effects that internally offered the most polished, well-produced mix. Most importantly, though I thank my stars for 8 part f_cking output! You deserve great praise on that point alone.
I should know, I needed the power. With a sampler and a Korg rack, I was looking for something that could do everything else I needed, and I got it in the Supernova.

Complaints? Your preview of the Nova with inputs and vocoder. In all
likelihood, I might have purchased the Supernova anyway, because of the 8
channels. The input processors can wait. It would be nice, though, if you
offered a hardware expansion to fit the Supernova!?

Annoyances: How can I display the part level (volume) without turning the
level knob and losing my setting? This has been my most aggravating problem.
My second is that when the Supernova is hooked up to Midi as a controller, it
sends a message when strolling through patches to default automatically to
performance mode or something similar. I'm not patched in at the moment, so
it's a bit hard to describe, but I end up having to unplug the Midi out from
the Supernova at times and plug it back in for others, depending on certain
functions I use.

In all, Phill, you all have a lot to be proud of. It blows me away that people
would take such visible shots at Novation after such a marvel, even if they do
have frustrations. Keep up the good work, and I'm glad I had the Supernova as
an option. There is nothing out that rivals it.

Regarding sounds, I really support the idea of more embient/evolving pads, more sounds like piki, aggressive Velo 303-like sounds, more Roland percussion emulators. I agree with responses calling for more evolutionary use of LFOs, etc. However, and this is a big contrast, I'm a far greater fan of Depeche Mode than Vince Clark (no offense meant to anyone). The sounds I need will be used in Industrial/Darkwave, Chicago/Hardhouse, House/Garage, bass patches for Hip-Hop, and on occation World Beat Music. These are my professional applications.

Cheers!

Jer Olsen
President
Global Express Media LLC

http://GlobalExpressMedia.com

Production, Remixing, CD/Cass Dupl., Graphics, etc.

Message 35/79             22-Feb-99  @  09:10 AM   -   RE: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

Kinetik

There is an easy way to display the current value of any knob without actually altering the knob's parameter :

Press and hold the compare button. Now tweak the relevant knob on the SuperNova's front panel. You will see the knob's parameter displayed on the display for a few seconds. The value displayed actually refers to the value SAVED IN MEMORY. If you wish to know the current value in the EDIT BUFFER, simply release the compare button before the temporary display disappears. The value will then change to show the value currently in the edit buffer.

Unfortunately, I don't think this feature was described in the SuperNova manual.

Message 36/79             23-Feb-99  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

techno-

On the subject of new sounds...

I would really appreciate some more pizzicato sounds such as the excellent "poppy", piki, do you know pick, etc. I find these sounds really useful and a bugger to create.

Also some more harsh distorted lead sounds would be welcome.

Cheers

Warwick

Message 37/79             25-Feb-99  @  05:09 AM   -   RE: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

Jer

Kinetik,

Thank you, sincerely, for pointing out the use of the compare button to identify the part volume (without changing the value). I read the manual, and if it addresses this issue, it never clicked. Thanks for addressing this annoyance.

To eveyone. I'd love to have sent my gratitude directly to Kinetik. But since we can not address each other outside the forum unless we post our e-mail, I had little choice.

Sincerely,
er Olsen President Global Express Media LLC

http://GlobalExpressMedia.com

Production, Remixing, CD/Cass Dupl., Graphics, etc.

Message 38/79             08-Mar-99  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

Shuss

Any possibility of getting that mellotron choir sound form the Supernova. Of all the virtual ogue synths I have tried, not one can come close to that classic sound.

Syed.

Message 39/79             08-Mar-99  @  12:51 PM   -   RE: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

Stefan

The mellotron sounds are "sampled" sounds, so i don't think that you'll be successful with a v-analogue synth.
There are lots of sampling CDs with mellotron sounds and the Roland-JV-Expansion Keyboards of 60s&70s contains some good waves.
Maybe you can try to create one with a choir-sound from a sample-player by adding vibrato or random pitch.

Greets Stefan

Message 40/79             08-Mar-99  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: Supernova OS3 & Factory Sounds

Stevoe

The best Mellotron type sounds I've heard on a module come from the Waldorf Microwave II. Absolutely fantastic..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 79 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)