aaa Sounds I need... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Sounds I need...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 20-Oct-97  @  07:19 PM   -   Sounds I need...

DJ Phallus

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Okay, I'm looking for some sounds, so I was wondering if somebody knows where to get them/how to make'em myself.
First, that sound from "Ready or not, by the fugees. Any ideas on how to recreate it with some type of softsynth?
I need some good single-hit sounds for chemical-beats, and breakbeats, like the prodigy. Where can I get'em? I don't want to buy equipment for them, I was hoping there would be some site that has some.
Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/53             04-Nov-97  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

patrick

He can do it because he's AVENE.

Message 32/53             04-Nov-97  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

Avene

Link?:  Link

No, I'm not that good, I've just read a couple of interviews the Chemical Brothers did in Future music and Keyboard. You can grab beats from anywhere and chop em up, some of my drums are from old Led Zepplin LPs. Listen closely to that sound on Ready or not, put your ear up to the speakers or use head phones and you should hear the singing.
The next samples go up on Sunday.

Message 33/53             04-Nov-97  @  03:25 AM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

The singing is actually humming to be precise.

Message 34/53             04-Nov-97  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

kilo

Well all I can say is....., the whole point of a sampler, is that you use it to ....wait for it....SAMPLE !!!!......... it's a MASSIVELY creative tool....... try sampling a variety of pipes and other objects being hit.....even a bean can !!....., mix them with a snare sample.....resample it.... ad something else..... layer it etc etc etc....... some people create a kik drum from up to 40 seperate samples layered ten resampled !!...... then of course there's stuff like velocity cross fading.... timebased envelope cross-fading etc etc etc....... you have the means to be 100% truly creative...... it's new sounds that kik ass I reckon....not sounding like ones influences.... and yes...... everyone automatically heads for another dancetrack, or dance related material to get a sample...... christ-on-a-bike....... drum sounds etc can come from any source....jazz, hardcore metal, whatever.... also, you can't beat borrowing different snare drums from drummer mates to get a big collection of samples........ then we get into the area of fx sampling to compliment the sample......y'know fast reverb swells that fade with the decay etc etc etc...... also buying shitty cheap 25 pence albums from charity shops can reveal excellent samples..... even on disks you would never believe contained them......... well...... it's a thought !?

Message 35/53             04-Nov-97  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

serve2

i reckon most people are too lazy to do their own samples. pretty sad, you end up hearing the same sounds all the time. the same goes for synths aswell, no one programs em any more. its cool to sample well know stuff, ya just got to mess with it heaps to make it original.

Message 36/53             04-Nov-97  @  02:53 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

Sedusa66

Regarding Pearl's Girl, I was listening to it on my headphones the other day, and I said "..wait a sec.."... I was listening to the left channel, and I heard a familiar loop.. I minimized my CD player utilitie, and switched on Hammerhead.. I think it's "jungle 1".. the two loops are very nearly identical! (The only difference being that the tone was higher when played at the correct tempo on HH.. I've heard breaks totally similar to that one before, but never listened to them and picked them out exclusively, so I don't know if Bram just sampled an uyltra generic break or what.. I love Underworld, but I think that they probably stole the drumbeat from the same place that Underworld did (Unless Bram somehow sampled THEM, in which case, sorry Mr Hyde..) But anyhow, I was rolling on the floor laughing, imagining Underworld secretly programming their drums on hammerhead. My point was that the drum beat on Pearl's Girl DOES sound like elements were stolen, but not all of it.. it's a wicked beat.

Message 37/53             05-Nov-97  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

jgl

about the chemical brothers:
yes, they use a lot of chopped breaks.. and a guitar-effects box can do wonders on a clean programmed drum pattern. Guitar effects have the dirt and punch that many studio effects lack. lots of compressing, eq and messing with distortion often lead to great *original* beats..
and I personally don't use programs like recycle or wavesurgeon (the latter is great value for money, tho). I chop the breaks "manually" in my hd-recording sequencer software.. I find this way much more intuitive as I can do whatever I want to the break in my sequencer....

Message 38/53             05-Nov-97  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

kilo

agreed........ guitar pedals are brilliant....... also try sending a breakbeat to a small guitar combo, then switching in the distortion if you like..... and mike it up.......awesome (as the americans say!!)

Message 39/53             06-Nov-97  @  09:39 AM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

We say awesome? um, you're beginning to show your age, kilo.

If you check out the right ear of 'Pearl's Girl', the tr-606 has definitely left it's gritty little signature.

Thanks for all the tips, Avene. Let me map out the sampler trick I've been working my ass off to achieve (which none of my samplers, including the k2000 or the e6400, can all do at the same time). I'm exceedingly tired of the sterility of most over-produced drum 'n bass beats, and would like to be able to route all the filters, retrigger lfo's, and loop start points to separate controllers so as to be able to do all the tricks live, independent of 'programming'. Thoughts? (Actually, the Akai s612 is the closest to giving it to me, but curiously, it's not supported by recycle. hmm....)

DJ Anal, please download Cool Edit or Gold Wave and try sample editing on your own, and load the files into Making Waves so you can actually get a feel for what we're talking about. Your experience is quite limited, and even the best sampler in the world (mellotron?) can make up for that.

Message 40/53             07-Nov-97  @  01:30 AM   -   RE: Sounds I need...

quiq

what noises do sheep make?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 53 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)