aaa bloody bass................. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: bloody bass.................

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 31-May-05  @  03:45 PM   -   bloody bass.................

Dominic

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

In my humble opinion, BASS is the single most difficult area of club music production to master. I've tried everything…………different VSTi's including ESM, ESP, ES1, ES2, TRILOGY, ALBINO, PRO-53, FM7, ALBINO, TRIANGLE, the list goes on. No, I haven't just scrolled through presets………I've tried rolling my own.

I've tried writing basslines on all the octaves in all keys……..I've tried different settings on software compression, hardware compression, software distortion, hardware distortion, software overdrive, hardware overdrive, hi and low pass filters, cutting 40-50hz from the bottom end, layering, just using one oscillator, just using 2 oscillators, blah, blah, bloody blah……

What are you chaps using for bass? How can I get that phat sounding bass I hear on pro underground electronic house tracks……….? PLEASE…………………….I can do every other element (drums, leads, gated pads, SFX, mixing, production, limiting to a 7.5 out of 10 standard). I just cannot do bloody bass.......is there a secret VSTI?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/47             12-Jun-05  @  08:46 PM   -   RE: bloody bass.................

k

Link?:  Link

about the only way i can be sure about what i'm doing in my room.

hey ever tried shelving off some bass wqith a send & bandpass and adding a touch of room-verb to that... hmmm...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 42/47             13-Jun-05  @  10:40 AM   -   RE: bloody bass.................

monkeybasket2001

thanks guys- my mate and i had the choice between two bedrooms in the new gaff- yup i ended up with the small one so will be def trying all you said to get the best out of my room/monitor combo....i only really use phones for details and stuff- sometimes what sounds good bass wise outside sounds almost scopped and phasey inside my phones but ive yet to get a decent pai- so never rely on them

i like the idea of very low i used to try that to check balance but think ill work more like that...

its just an ever increasing circle sometimes....repeatedly adjusting bass, then going back to top mid cos its too cutting, then roll of bottom mid as its too harsh, then rebalance- rinse repeat etc etc-

greg

Message 43/47             13-Jun-05  @  08:09 PM   -   RE: bloody bass.................

Influx

Link?: Link

another point that just cant be emphasized enough is to pick appropriate sounds from the start. dont load up certain areas in the frequency spectrum, and dont try to force sounds together. sometimes its just not gonna work and will give you hours of frustration.

Message 44/47             17-Jun-05  @  12:37 AM   -   RE: bloody bass.................

k

that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO true, and a great tip for noobs - Sure, dont waste time trying to fit a round peg in a square hole, if it doesnt work, go with the flow more mebbe and let what comes out come out... mind you, other times you can mess for ages and come up with stuff.. i like to save, tweak, save (with different filename versions - like songX1:songX2:songX3: etc) - Each version has a slightly or even plenty different bass tweak... it's good to save as you go and compare later.. it's so easty to loose something when you go off on one messing & tweaking.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 45/47             17-Jun-05  @  04:07 AM   -   RE: bloody bass.................

psylichon

Link?: Link

Yeah, one of the strangest thing I've ever heard from a synthesist while recording is "that sounds awesome... can't wait to hear it with some EQ!" People seem to forget that EQ and compression were designed as correctional tools rather than audio "enhancers". Now, it can be argued that compression can be used much more creatively, not simply as level management, and this is true. But for EQ... when you're making the sounds from scratch anyway, why not 'EQ' at the source? Synth filters are often more musical than plugin EQ's anyway.

Message 46/47             17-Jun-05  @  09:31 AM   -   RE: bloody bass.................

monkeybasket2001

one thing i do find with synths- spesh some particular synths is that they are so middy that i almost always eq them- so sometimes i do think that sounds nice but needs q'ing...makes sense though- i think its all to easy tos end every channel through eq and compression cos your convinced it will improve things- it does for me but thats more down to problems at source!!

greg

Message 47/47             17-Jun-05  @  11:48 AM   -   RE: bloody bass.................

k

it does for me but thats more down to problems at source!!

heh

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 47 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)