aaa Pulsar is realy good?? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Pulsar is realy good??

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 01-Jan-99  @  07:11 PM   -   Pulsar is realy good??

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

The Pulsar price is euivalent with the card?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/53             21-Jan-99  @  05:03 PM   -   Pulsar or not?

dmuxo

I am in the process of upgrading my PC and I am trying to decide which route might be the smarter.

My current config:
PII - 300,64mb,5 SCSI hard drives (1 4gb Wide dedicated to mutitrack audio),Layla,Cakewalk with a bunch of DX effects.

I am trying to choose between upgrading to a PII - 450, 128mb ram and a faster hard drive or just upgrading the ram and getting a Pulsar. Just upgrading the PC will keep me in an open end system for the future but I believe the pulsar will be much more powerful. I am mostly concerned with using it for mixing and DSP functions. Thanks for your advice.

Message 42/53             21-Jan-99  @  06:20 PM   -   Pulsar or not?

dmuxo

I am in the process of upgrading my PC and I am trying to decide which route might be the smarter.

My current config:
PII - 300,64mb,5 SCSI hard drives (1 4gb Wide dedicated to mutitrack audio),Layla,Cakewalk with a bunch of DX effects.

I am trying to choose between upgrading to a PII - 450, 128mb ram and a faster hard drive or just upgrading the ram and getting a Pulsar. Just upgrading the PC will keep me in an open end system for the future but I believe the pulsar will be much more powerful. I am mostly concerned with using it for mixing and DSP functions. Thanks for your advice.

Message 43/53             21-Jan-99  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

ATTENTION

don't get pulsar fort the samplers , they suck
the samples are not good.

The rest ROCKS, exept that dsp overloads too fast!!!!
3 synth , a big mixer and 1 or 2 effects and it's overloaded.
But still, i love it, the midi automation is great, the synths are great, the adat and asio interface
are great etc etc...
it rocks
MED

Message 44/53             21-Jan-99  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

TO DUMOX@whatever.net

the mixer is very good, but the effects are quite "dsp consuming" (i tried with 2 or 3 synths though)
Remember that there's no reverb included, even if it comes in march (says creamw@re)
The equalizer is great.
if u use pulsar in combination with your leyla and vst or whatever, i think u get a very good config.
i'ml running p2 350mhz 128 ram. i think i'll get 128 ram more, because graphically, pulsar is a little bit slow (when u move a window for ex), even though i have a stb velocity 4400 with 16 mb ram.
I didn't use it with vst yet. but i have to buy that vst for a studio session on monday. so i'll report bugs and latency issues, if any....

See ya
MED

Message 45/53             21-Jan-99  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

dmuxo

I think I might use the synths but I would probably sequence them first in Cakewalk and then record them to audio tracks. I do this now with my Wavestation SR because it gives me more flexibility when mixing. I am just wondering at mixdown what kind of DSP power you have for EQ and effects. Has anybody mixed down 16 or 20 tracks and if so how many eq's and other effects were you able to use before maxing out the DSP?

Thanks.

Message 46/53             21-Jan-99  @  11:14 PM   -   What's up with the sample player?

Mr. Realist

MED,

When you say the sampler sucks, what do you mean?
Maybe the included samples aren't very good, but the sample player works, right?

You can always get good samples.

What about the converters? How do they sound, compared to a gina card or whatnot?

thanks,
Mr. Realist

Message 47/53             21-Jan-99  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

Dmuxo
You can probably put a Celeron 400 in the motherboard you have now. C400's are about $165.00. Or you can buy a 300a and a bh6 and get 450 perfomance for one half the cost. I own a sw1000xg. I can run as many effects as I want and it never gets bogged down. I don't think the dsp's in Pulsar are as powerful as we have been led to believe. That why they sell the scope system for $5000.00 Just read the posts on this site. I also own Reality and use it for sampling. You can add quality effects to any wav. file with soundforge xp for $39.00. Pulsar in my opinion if too new and unproven. Its your call.

Message 48/53             22-Jan-99  @  08:46 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

The Pulsar manual says it won't work with overclocked CPU or something. And I think you're right about dsp's. I tend to believe it's a very clever marketing policy. Who's gonna buy Scope if Pulsar does everything? So Creamware gave us a card to show a huge potential, but in order to make full use of it one has to buy Scope. Let's face it, You wanna have some 16 tracks of audio loaded with effects, seven synths playing all at the same time? - you can't have this for a grand. Multiply by six. Now you've got a professional studio.

Message 49/53             23-Jan-99  @  12:13 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

the guy just before is right  

i haven't had time to go into audio recording.
and mixing.

But i tried 1 ez synth (light) one modular (pretty big one) and another synth (fm one, very big load too) and i could add effects to the big mixer (oh, yeah, the 16 channel mixer for synth -or light dsp load) is not yet available :/) - but the mixer eq and manip (faders etc) really flows, no lag.
hey, it loads all its power right away, that's why it loads a lot on dsp...

but with any 2 synths, i've put : phaser and delay on 3 tracks and a stereo compressor on the master. again, all power for the mixer is there.

let's say that u still have to record audio tracks , then add other synth etc (for ex, use the vst outputs to send them to the mixer and add effects)

i'm going to have to use vst and smpte and the adat i/o (a16). so i'll goi into the mixer feature very soon. on monday actually, and WHAT, it's 2.00 am saturday!!! back to work! quick!!!

MED

Message 50/53             23-Jan-99  @  01:55 AM   -   RE: Pulsar is realy good??

oh yes,

just installed win 98, my system is boosted at least 100%.
so is pulsar!!! loading projects (3 times faster), devices, display is better, faster etc...

i have a 350, 128 mb ram 100 mhz, stb 4400 16 mb graf card, freetech scorpion mother board.

go for win 98 if your still on win 95 with such a hardware configuration (ie a very very recent one).

other bad news. the manual says "with logic audio, use the 16 overlaying channels" or somethging like this. Well, this device is not on the cd. just like the synth mixer! it's in the manual but will be given later (grrrrrrrrr). well, the asio drivers are here, so o prob with that. but i prefer logic SOOOO much

MED

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 53 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)