aaa buying a new pc - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: buying a new pc

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  06:08 PM   -   buying a new pc

sitar

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm soon buying a new pc custom built. These people did me solid on the last one. Couple of questions:

Somebody suggested getting an Athlon chip instead of a Pentium. Is Athlon really better for digital audio and graphics? I would otherwise get a P3 850 Mhz. I also have to look into Athlon compatibility with Logic, Cake, and Layla. Anyone know of compatibility problems between Athlon and any music software?

Would I be better off in your opinions to get a scsi hard-drive with less storage space> Otherwise I am planning on getting a 30GB IDE 7200 rpm hd.

The motherboard will be an ASUS 133 bus and probably with the square pentium chip slot as opposed to the long rectangular one. Scsi or Athlon will change tat of course. Is there any difference between the two chip configurations? I'm told that Intel is phasing out the rectangular one in favor of the square one.

Also an ASUS GeForce 32mg video card. I need to check that for compatibility also.

Lastly I'm sticking with Windows 98 because I detect that Logic and Windows 2000 have not totally embraced eachother yet.

Any comments, answers, insights are more than welcome.  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/54             29-Jul-00  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

adams04

Link?:  No link

Hmm,Hoontech.
U got any Direct X plugs u can try?
This DSP Pack i got is class.
Gonna try some other soft wares on it?
Oh yeah,could u ask Claus about oclocked Celerons?
I know they don,t do well with sw1000.

Cheers Guru.

Message 42/54             30-Jul-00  @  01:55 AM   -   RE: buying a new pc

cremedementhe!

Jeez... get an external modem from buy.com or suchlike for $50. You have enough nonsense filling up IRQs and stealing resources without having an internal modem.

Message 43/54             30-Jul-00  @  07:42 AM   -   RE: buying a new pc

sitar

That's an option I didn't think of. I'll see first though if I can get this modem back on with everything else since I paid for it. I think I still have some irq resources left. There are 6 pci slots in the motherboard but some are being used virtually it seems. I found it all last night in the bios. 3&6 and 4&5 seem to be taken by 2 devices. It's all unknown territory to me. Worst case scenario is that I bring the cpu and the Layla to the guys that put it together. If it can be resolved, they'll know how.

Message 44/54             30-Jul-00  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: buying a new pc

k

if you double click on the PC icon at the top of the hardware list in control-panel/system, it shows all the irq's, but windows is wierd cos it remaps some interrupts internally so what you see aint always what you get - what you need to do first is turn off all un-used ports in your bios.. No printer?.. disable the printer port, Not using the comm port/s ??... turn 'em off... in your windows system find all unused hardware/drivers and disable them for your normal boot-up default profile

Message 45/54             30-Jul-00  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: buying a new pc

sitar

Hmmmmmm. I'll look at those things tonight when I get home. The puter I'm on now is NT, but I'll look at the system/hardware/irqs if I can. Don't have administrative privileges here.

But then what? Assign an unused irq to com3? I didn't even see com3 in my bios last night. But the modem must be assigned to com3 cause when I click on more details under properties in Control Panel/Modem I get a message com3 cannot be found, or is disabled or something. Plus it tells me in Control Panel/Modems which Modem I have, but it's not being seen by the rest of the computer. I thought a search in Install New Hardware would come up with it, but nope. Jeez. Then I have to install my MOTU Midi Express to a parallel port. That should be no problem though. This is no big deal either. Need to know how is all. I tell you I love computers. This kinda stuff only points out my own ignorance in these matters. But then I learn something. I'll follow your steps K.

Message 46/54             30-Jul-00  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

k

so where actually is the modem?... you say it's assigned to comm3 ??>. huh?? - is it internal/external where is it plugged in?

Message 47/54             30-Jul-00  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

sitar

Its internal. I think it's plugged into a pci slot. Would that make sense? I say pci because I think I remember using the pci slot below it for the Layla card. I'll have to look when I get the chance at home. I have to be up for work again tomorrow though so it might be tuesday before I can futz with it. Thursday's my last day at this job. Start a new one in about a week.

Message 48/54             01-Aug-00  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

Breakerbox

I need a good sound card with low latency.
Sitar, you should do waht k says, you are not gonna use any serial ports, assuming you have ps2 mouse port, you shoulg go to mycomputer/control panel/and teh click on system settings, than the device manager.that should show you if there is any conflicts, you can disable the cars, you also click the propeties on your sound card and change the irqs ( righ click on device then properties then resources you can manually configure the port/dma/irqs manually) i ad a modem which was crashing my pc everytime i try to dial up, but after messing with the port numbers for the sound card and modem averytung works fine now. hope thi helps

Message 49/54             02-Aug-00  @  06:34 AM   -   RE: buying a new pc

sitar

Thanks Breakerbox. I did what K said and the puter sees the modem now, but the modem won't dial up. I'll work it out. I needed a surreal   port for the Logic key. Unlike last time the puter found the key immediately because I new to assign the port to com4. Logic says this is necessary. Strange thing happened though. I copied my logic tracks to zip from my old puter and loaded them in to my new puter. I ran a song with 10 audio and several midi channels. Everything played smoothly. I went back to it later and the timebar began moving in jumps and starts and I get that pc/av cpu or drive to slow message when only 2 audio tracks are being played back. I'll work that out too...I hope. Don't know what changed what changed. Also installed my new Motu XT Express midi interface. At first the puter couldn't find it. I rebooted and went in to the bios/changed LPT1 mode to normal and voila. Proud of myself on that one since I don't know a thing about the inner workings of computers.

Message 50/54             02-Aug-00  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: buying a new pc

k

you're using logic yes?.. is it V5 ?.. - and the modem guy.. if you look at the proporties of the modem in i think control-panel/modem what port does it say the modem is on etc ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 54 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)