aaa Real 303 / sequencer clone - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 01-Feb-00  @  06:26 PM   -   Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hi folks. I am a builder of several TB303 clones, and I've designed several commercial midi/cv units and sequencer designs.

My next project is a new 303 clone. Unlike existing clones, it will use the original 303 circuitry. So being more than just a clone, it will be a REAL 303. In addition, I will be cloning the sequencer itself to the exact specs of the original. The case will be just larger than the original 303 box, with a very similar control layout.

This unit will eventually be available for sale. I will build a few and sell them if anyone is interested.

My question is, if I were to make the *perfect* 303 clone, what extras should it have?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/63             22-Feb-00  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

druma

Link?:  No link

trevor, the synth land needs more dudes like yourself, keep up the great work, I really diged the 2xTBs in a Rack, whats can we expect 2 pay for these gems? r we expecting mass production? and the sequencer on the 777 and Xbase09 have induvidual parameter settings per step bringing the units 2 new levels, but thats extrame... I'd say just keep the 3030 as the 3o3 orgianlly was, just add MIDI, distrotion, 3levels of Accent, more pattern mem.. really keep them inexpensf ...

Message 42/63             24-Feb-00  @  06:26 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Ok... here's another question.
There are two ways that I can implement the sequencer. The first is to make it exactly like that on the original. On the other hand, I could keep the same layout but make it much more user friendly, say like with Rebirth. How would you guys prefer the sequencer: keep it the same, or nicer to use?

Trev

Message 43/63             24-Feb-00  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Maarten

Errr...go with a Rebirth type sequencer.
And I don't want to take you're whole arm but add a diplay aswell if possible...hmmm...303 with visualisation.

-M-

Ohh yeah ,EFX-chip or am I drewling off here.

Message 44/63             25-Feb-00  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Zmart Azz

Im sorry if my message sound offensive. Alls I have to say is Good luck and I hope you will be the first to succseed on perfectly emulating the 303. No one in history have done it and thats a fact. Besides My last message was to those goof troop purist who will buy a box with a squelchy sound for $1000. I can think of a better 303 for much less or for the same money. I can buy a nice VA synth with a good 303 emulation plus so much more for around $1G. Dont get me wrong I like the 303 sound I just wish people were smarter and just settle with a good emulator with much more features for half the price. I dont care if its a real 303 if some dude want to sell me a mint 303 for a $1000 and I did have a $1000 I will say "man you are out of your mind I can find a close emulator with more features for less".

Sorry if my message offended you Trevor. Sorry if it turned out like that. Wasnt thinking. I have no means to bash people but for anyone who has got to have a 303 and is willing to spend $1000 is obviously missing an important feature of the Brain and that is Common sense. Sure I want a Roland TB 303 but Im definatly not gonna spend $1G for it. You can forget it. I got better thing to spend my time and money on. I hope some of you agree with my opinion.

Later

Message 45/63             25-Feb-00  @  05:54 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Link?: Link

No problem at all mate! I can understand where you were coming from. I think many people would pay out for the original machine just for the novelty value of owning the real thing. Fair 'nuff really, if that's what you want to do. I have to admit, I'd love to own one.

There are now countless 303 emulators available, most of which are very affordable. However, no commercial clone that I know of uses Roland's circuitry. It's a bit of a grey area, but I believe that we can take this design and use it. Anyhow, we are not a company who are going to produce large volumes of these: it is myself, a final year EE student, and another mate of mine who is a pro. audio designer. So to be honest, we are not talking great numbers here, but by the sounds of it demand should be good enough to keep us busy provided that we get this thing off the ground in the first place.

The main objective is to produce a clone that people will look at and say, 'yeah, this is a good alternative to the real thing'- rather than just bringing out yet another dull rack thing. To do that, I am listening to people to see what features they would want. That's why I lurk about here :-). I know that people would like a clone that is closer to the original in it's feel and looks; that is, it should have a sequencer like the original, and similar control layout. I table top thing. It will have a step / pattern display which , like Rebirth, will be easier to use than the original. Add full MIDI, distortion and so on. Will probably run on batteries too, so you can tweak it on the move ;-)

I think I've mentioned this before, but I have some 303 clone .WAV samples on my website from my homebuilt dual 3030 rack unit. Take a listen to these!

l8r... Trev

Message 46/63             27-Feb-00  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Jesstex

Wicked ideas trev.I use one of them notron sequencers(Fuckin awesome) and it would be interesting to use one of your clones with that.

Message 47/63             27-Feb-00  @  12:09 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trev

Hey, can you tell me more about that sequencer? I've not heard of that one!!

Cheers, Trev

Message 48/63             27-Feb-00  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Martin-99 in da UK

Trev,

get a life you jap, your not making shite!

Message 49/63             28-Feb-00  @  04:35 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Jap? JAP?????!!!

What the fuck?

What the FUCK do you fucking know?

Piss off you uneducated little shit.

Message 50/63             28-Feb-00  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

JESSTEX

The notron sequencer is about the best bit of kit i own (although its not much use by itself)and is wicked for doing live sets.Its basically a four track midi sequencer and you can run each track independantly(but in time).so you can have track one running on three steps,track two on nine steps running at half the speed of the others and so on.You can add notes,change note lengths,pattern lengths,track speeds etc. all on the fly.Check out the NOTRON website- http://www.notron.com for more details as there is too much to mention.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 63 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)