aaa while on the subject of compressors - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: while on the subject of compressors

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 09-Aug-02  @  10:32 PM   -   while on the subject of compressors

Brett

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

my freind has released a few rcords that sound pretty good. He used softsynths run through a SSL at a studio his freind interns at. His kicks and bass are pretty tight. They have that crunch in the bottom I like. I had read a while back that the compressors in the SSL are very good for this. What kind of compressors are in those consoles and do they sell them as stand alone units. If not what is a good stand alone equivelant?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/55             18-Aug-02  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

influx

Link?: Link

shiiit. just buy an RNC

Message 42/55             18-Aug-02  @  07:10 AM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

Brett

never, that would be too easy. So you use the rnc on the mix bus? You are really saying the $200 compressor is going to give me the sound I am looking for. I have heard they were good for tracking drums, but mix down as well? Anyway, making the pcb isn't that involved. you can buy iron on kits you print on ,that go over the copper. then you just expose it to a acid(etching) and it eats away the exposed part leaving the leads intact. clean, drill and flux it. Then you are good to go with the componants. I am going to do it just to see if I can. If it works. i'll build somthing else. If it turns out to be a peice of crap that overheats and burns up, I won't. But most likely I'll do just fine.

Message 43/55             18-Aug-02  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

psylichon

the RNC is really designed for mix buss compression. I've never heard it used on individual tracks.

And, yes, for the mix the RNC is unbelievable for the price. very transparent, though.

psylichon

Message 44/55             18-Aug-02  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

Brett

transparent is overated. I want flat and crunchy with low end distortion harmonics. Is that so wrong? The SSL is great at that. It makes dance mixes sound like they are comming off finished vinyl. I'll let you guys know how I am making out. I am going to make extra pcb's for you guys if you cover the cost of shipping and do your own drilling. I on the otherhand need you , Jamey, to have your DAD go over the pictures and write down a parts list and let me know where to get it all. How does that sound?

Message 45/55             18-Aug-02  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

formant

Link?:  Link

sounds good... it may take a bit of time. i have already sourced the hard to find vca that chip dealies from the uk for about 3.60ukp each. you can't buy them in the usa unless you get quantities of 25 and even if me and you and nomad did it thats 9, not 25 :-)

as for the RNC, i remember back when i had one i was unable to make the thing sound like a compressor pumping... i mean obviously it could pump but it was very 'transparent' as everyone else is saying. i had never heard of people using the RNC on the whole mix, just the tracks but i don't hang in the 'record a rock band' circles and thats most of the people who have them and use them.

don't underestimate the RNC tho.. its literally worth probably $800 even tho its cheap....

hey on the topic of soft comps, brett you say you didn't like the sound of the rencomp from waves on your tracks? i was using it on my drums and man it sounds great, especially while pumping.

if you don't need a hardware unit brett, make sure to try out the polish plug in dudes compressor.. $150ish i think and its supposed to be one of the nicest comps on the soft market.

you could also look into the uad / mackie card thingy it has some nice vintage emulators. the only reason i am going for hard instead of soft is for the live yamaha rs7000 thing that i still may never take out live :-)

jamey

jamey

Message 46/55             20-Aug-02  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

Brett

actaully I do use the waves RCL. I just like the way analog devices add that harmonic distorion when overdriven. I like that color. Typically I use the RCL in opto with auto release on 1:5, slow attack medium release. Then I use the L1 behind that. I just want to go through a analog device to dull it down a bit and add some of that color to warm it up.

Message 47/55             20-Aug-02  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

formant

Link?:  Link

so none of the 'warmer plugs' (the polish ones, etc) do it for you?

i spent this weekend playing with the RenC on some straight 909 loops i made. i think i like the opto warm mode best.

you know you can overdrive it and it will limit for you? try it out...

this week i will play with the renEq after reading that the gerzon shelves are modelled after pultec eqs and i think i understand them a bit better. you can drive it into limiting as well.

its amazing how long you can use something before you find out all the features...

i also think i am going to stop using the C4 for a while. i don't think it does justice to my stuff. i really like the renC over the whole track better than the C4 right now. i end up changing stuff too much on the c4 when i shouldn't be  

jamey

Message 48/55             20-Aug-02  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

Brett

jamey, I have had the gold bundle for about a year now. I know then inside and out. They are the best plug-ins I have used. Well, actually I don't like the RCL on snares or hats. It is to transparent. The C4 works better. I like the C4, just got it, but would have liked it to have the limiter on it like the RCL though. That doppler can make some cool stuff happen. The best bundle I have used. And the RenC is the RCL, renaissance comp/limiter. For eq, I prefer the timeworks mastering eq.

Message 49/55             25-Aug-02  @  02:59 AM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

Meriphew

Alan Smart makes the compressors that are on the SSL. You can buy the compressor on it's own over at www.mercenary.com. If you have more technical questions on the Alan Smart compressor, I highly recommend you ask Fletcher over at Prosoundweb, he is a very knowledgeable, and very cool guy.

Message 50/55             25-Aug-02  @  06:45 AM   -   RE: while on the subject of compressors

damballah

there's an idea

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 55 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)