aaa Getting A Dubby Sound - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Getting A Dubby Sound

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 13-Nov-02  @  03:13 PM   -   Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Any suggestions for getting a proper dubby sound. No, I haven't got a tape echo box.

Anyway, is spring reverb the way to go. Plus are offical dub delys really just 3/16th? (Is that triplets?).

Also, dubby baselines. Are they just simple sines with the 60-80hz whacked up on the desk?

And what exactly are triplets and how do they work? Everytime, I try and fit 3 notes, equally spaced, in between the kick and snare (ie 4 16ths, it sounds wrong). I thought triplets were fitting just 3 16ths into the spave of 4 16ths. Obviously not. Help much appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/60             15-Nov-02  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

LOL. :-) Last 2 questions I promise.

Bedwyr, do you use the same swing for all your drums and basslines?

Do you mostly use triplets for hats (like maybe a little roll at the end of 2 bars, etc)?

Nice one bruv.

Message 42/60             15-Nov-02  @  11:51 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

psylichon

Link?: Link

"What About Us"

If you have the CD, look in the liner notes and tell me if I'm in there as assistant engineer or not.

Rodney Jerkins is supposed to be anal about credits.

psylichon, aka Dave Schonauer

Message 43/60             15-Nov-02  @  11:57 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

hehe! you know i have a dnb bootleg of that track? how does that make you feel? you aint in the credits, thats for sho'  

Message 44/60             15-Nov-02  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

Ohh psy! pray tell more. Did he use an MPC? Did he smoke weed? How long did the track take? Does he use PC technology? Did he mix the track?

Message 45/60             15-Nov-02  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

psylichon

well i have the vocal accapella :P

seriously, i'm not in the credits? that kinda pisses me off

psy

Message 46/60             15-Nov-02  @  12:04 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

psylichon

and he brought the session in on CD as a Pro-Tools session, so I don't know what he used. He didn't mix it, Dexter Simmons did (and I learned A LOT from him... amazing engineer). What I can tell you is that before the mix was striked, Rodney sampled all his drums and bass with FX to DAT. Smart man.

psylichon

Message 47/60             15-Nov-02  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

i meant on the bootleg, doh!

so tell me, does mr. jerkins program those swinging beats himself?

Message 48/60             15-Nov-02  @  12:07 PM     Edit: 15-Nov-02  |  12:09 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

psylichon

yeah... REALLY REALLY LOUDLY

edit: oh yeah, he did track some stuff. MPC300, triton, and JV2080 if I remember correctly. He loves the slippy slidey beats

psy

Message 49/60             15-Nov-02  @  12:12 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

MPC swing, eh?

o/t: do you maybe also know if beyonce makes the beats for the tracks she produces? i know its a different artist altogether but maybe you overheard something?

Message 50/60             15-Nov-02  @  12:14 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

Shit, I thought the USA was really good at creditting the engineers. Whenever I watch those USA music awards, all the engineers names get read out.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 60 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)