aaa New SX tutorial video online (part-1) - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 22-Aug-05  @  05:59 PM   -   New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

New SX tutorial video series starting... part-1 is online - part 2 being added tonight

oh yeah!... the new system makes it so easy to knock them out, I did 2 over the wekend between other stuff.

Part-1 is up, zipped downloadable DIVX format .AVI video finished at 720 x 576 so you can watch it full-screen if you like and it still looks ok, (43mb d/load)

we've managed to get a better image for an even smaller filesize now by experimenting for ages with different custom renders - the video is a full 1/2 hour in length at only 42mb!

part-2 is being checked right now prior to rendering for the www and will DEFINATELY be added tonight

Parts 1 & 2 cover intro stuff... Intro to the arrage area, how the grid & snap all works both in the arrange & key edit windows (piano roll edit)... plus other little required bits and bobs noobs should know to get cracking & make some music inc' using the line tools various poermeatations for doing shit like drawing in gate-controller moves etc

Part-3 is going to be DRUM-MAP tutorial... Part-4 will move on to apply the same tools, snap & quantise tricks as used in arrange & edit windows to work with the track-automation.... then we'll move on, etc etc

i reckon it'll require mebbe 6 or 7 'intro' parts before we can get to the "Making a song from scratch using stuff we've previously learned"

Plus, Joy of joys, we managed to also get a system setup so SX can play VSTi's while being filmed with the screen-grab s/w, so it's going to be pretty cool the further in we go cos we can show stuff and you can hear it.

anyways, if you're a Cubase Noob, this isnt like a manual where you have to wade thru every tiny detail bit by bit just to glean the bits you DO need to do the work. The series only covers the required stuff to get working, you can look up tiny more obscure features in the manual.

cheers

next up for video is the final BCF footage for SX, and then an additional video for using 2 x BCF with SX & LOGIC, then we're back to new parts for the SX series... (somewhere we'll fit in Part-2 of the e-mu 1820m, patchmix s/w walkthru) then we'll be up to date.

stay tooned!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/50             28-Oct-05  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

ah!... Part 3 (drum-map) is being rendered tonight... should be online tomorrow and it's the biggest one yet showing everything drum map can do including integrating multiple internal s/w sound generators into drum patterns, layering different generators in patterns to create layered drumsounds, working with fixed playback-length and note-length dependent playback drum/sampler devices, key re-mapping, adding external drumboxes/samplers into patterns with realtime routing into s/w onboard mix, utilising a mix of s/w drumboxes/synths/samplers AND external hardware sound generators as a master 'drum sound set', etc etc. 1 hour running time.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 42/50             02-Nov-05  @  03:13 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

eeee... bloody lo-fi www... um, tyhis is causing some probs cos the template we setup for these tutorials is giving a lowe quality playback due to the addition of live camera footage. so if we make it the same size roughly as part-2 for around an hour of video the quality is worse. if i get it really nice throughout, the filesize is much bigger 225mb for 1 hour 6 minutes

i'm trying another encode using a different settings to try and get it smaller, but if it doesnt work, is 260mb too big for a web d/load?

Message 43/50             02-Nov-05  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

sox

Link?: Link

Have you tried a DivX conversion?

sox

Message 44/50             02-Nov-05  @  05:32 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

that's what i'm using, but it's not consistant due to the way it compresses video - you cant just say 512kb like you can with wmv or quicktime etc

Message 45/50             02-Nov-05  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

oh well, i'm uploading now... it's weird, cos i tried re-rendering at a much higher rate, and while it came out slightly better for most footage, when the cam footage comes in, the compression codec concentrates on that and still even at a high rate this causes the SX screen to drop in quality and suddenly have more artefacts... it didnt seem to make any difference to that, so i tried all afternoon to render it with the 'fast motion' setting switched on and with a 'pre-scan' added, to analyse the movie first to reserve bits for encoding the mixed live/sx-screen footage at more active moments.... but it crashed every time after about an hour... tried to do it all afternoon, but everytime it crashed, so stuff it.... the normal one will have to do, cos frankly the difference between the 250mb and 130mb versions i pretty negligable, the pixilation where it occurs at some points when returning to the SX screen from the camera action isnt that bad, but y'know, if ONLY we could distribute this in DV quality *sigh*

so i guess it'll take an hour to upload, it's 104mb zipped

Message 46/50             04-Nov-05  @  10:55 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

sox

Link?: Link

Just downloading it now......

sox

Message 47/50             07-Nov-05  @  02:27 PM     Edit: 07-Nov-05  |  02:30 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Link?:  No link

Hi,

Theses fantastic tutorials, 1, 2 and 3 are really "SPECIAL-K"

Sorry about that.

Keep up the good work

Regards,

George

Message 48/50             07-Nov-05  @  09:24 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

hur hur

Message 49/50             03-Feb-06  @  06:06 PM     Edit: 03-Feb-06  |  06:23 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Link?:  No link

Hi K,

I'm ready for number 4

Regards,

George

By the way, do you know of anyone interested in an original "1963 Fender Jazz Bass", Sonic blue/rosewood s/n L19824. Every part of this guitar (the holy grail of basses) is original, and it plays like a dream.
This guitar has been owned from new and is extremely rare.
If you know of anybody looking for a guitar of this calbre, i'll be glad to let their expert look at it.

Message 50/50             04-Feb-06  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

oooo!... I know a few who'd love that bass, if they could only afford it

yeah part-4.... there's been alot of stuff to do, but soon that stuff will be finished, then we can can back on it. There's just a few more things to finish for the music section (7161)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 50 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)