aaa MC-505 on sale - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: MC-505 on sale

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 29-Jan-98  @  12:53 PM   -   MC-505 on sale

csg6031

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi, I was in my local proaudio/music shop this
morning,

And they had a roland MC-505 running some demos.
is it already available in UK Shops?.

It had some pretty convincing Drum & Bass demos in it.
But somehow I got this audio equivalent of 'painting by numbers' feeling.

Anyway for the interested, they asked fl 2400,-
for it as an introductionairy price. later it will
be fl 2900,-.
Divide these numbers by 3.5 to obtain the price in
UK pounds.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/66             20-Feb-98  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: MC-505 on sale

kilo

here's the roland (we omit the details your really need) blurb:

Thanks to its 64-voice polyphony and a new high-performance sound chip, the MC-505 offers 512 of the fattest sounds on the dance music scene.
Twenty-six specially-created onboard rhythm kits deliver low kicks, snares and hits galore, meaning that from the latest lo-fi techno and hip-hop sounds
to all those classic Roland drum and synth sounds (TB-303, TR-808, TR-909, Juno, Jupiter, et al.), the MC-505's got it covered. And to ensure that
groove-heads get exactly the sound they're after, the 505 features steep multi-mode resonant filtering, ADSR envelope controls, enhanced LFO and
Filter/ Amplifier controls and a Low Boost knob with an Octave switch (warn the neighbors now).

Making full use of these sounds, the MC-505 features 714 preset dance music patterns, ranging from the latest Trance, Ambient, and Drum 'n' Bass
grooves to Latin, Reggae, Old-School, Funk and Hip-Hop. These patterns were developed by some of the world's foremost sound designers, and they
can be used "as is" or edited and combined into unique new User patterns.

Aiding in pattern combination is the new MEGAMIX function, which allows for the seamless combination of distinct parts from different patterns and
songs. Even parts with wildly different tempos and feels can be combined, offering some very powerful and unique results and giving MC-505 users an
unlimited canvas to create original patterns "on the fly."

One of the most innovative enhancements to the MC-505, however, is the revolutionary new D-Beam Controller*. The D-Beam Controller allows
musicians to control MC-505 effects, sounds and note information with hand and body movement through an invisible, infrared beam of light. D-Beam
effects include "Turntable," which can be used to control tempo by raising or lowering the hand over the light beam; "Cutoff & Resonance," which
simultaneously controls a sound's cutoff frequency and resonance parameters according to subtle hand motion; and "Ad Lib," which allows for
improvising melodies using one of 21 preset scales. In addition to greatly increasing the MC-505's expressive capabilities, the D-Beam controller
enhances the onstage, visual aspects of performance. And better yet, all D-Beam control information can be transmitted from the MC-505 via MIDI.

Speaking of effects, the MC-505 features three independent, synchronizable onboard effects processors, offering powerful reverb, chorus and delay
sounds, as well as new cutting-edge effects like: "Radio Tuning," which makes patterns sound as if they are playing over the air; "Phonograph," for
simulating record player noise; and "Slicer" for creating rhythmic permutations of sounds. In all, 24 insert effects complement the dedicated reverb and
delay effects, with rate parameters automatically sync'd to tempo.

The MC-505's powerful onboard sequencer boasts three quantize functions--grid, shuffle and groove--as well as a built-in Arpeggiator with 53 styles
and a Realtime Phrase Sequencer (RPS) for instant triggering of musical phrases with a single key. Sequencer capacity has been increased to 95,000 (kilos note: fucking peanuts !!)
notes, while a new SmartMedia card slot allows for external pattern and patch storage via 2MB and 4MB SmartMedia cards. By adding a single 4MB
card, the MC-505 can store an additional 480,000 notes (200 patterns), 512 patches and 20 rhythm sets. And direct SmartMedia pattern and song
playback is possible for live performance applications. (kilo's note:... yeah right. sell you more accessories instead of making a decent storage area to begin with !!!)

As a self-contained professional dance music workstation, the MC-505's other features include: full MIDI control, with knob and slider movements
output via MIDI for easy editing; sound editing while listening to phrases from an external sequencer;....... (KIlo note: AHA !!!!!!!!........THATS INTERESTING !!)

three stereo audio outputs (six mono) for external
processing; and a new assignable Part Mixer for slider-based control of part level, panning, key shift, reverb and delay send levels and MEGAMIX
functions.

there ya go you lazy gits !! :-)

Message 42/66             21-Feb-98  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: MC-505 on sale

Avene

Link?:  Link

I tried it, but I couldn't work out how to set different fx levls for each of the individual drums. I'm not gonna bother contacting Roland though, I'm not that interested, but it sounds a helluva lot better than the mc303.

Message 43/66             26-Feb-98  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: MC-505 on sale

Spot

Link?:  Link

Yeah, it does sound a helluva lot better than the 303, but can it produce "proper" quantized complex rythems...if its anything like the 303 for pumping out a complex 909 beat, then it gonna be pretty useless

Message 44/66             26-Feb-98  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: MC-505 on sale

kilo

well, as far as I can tell, amongst the sales speak..... this unit can and will output and receive data from an external sequencer..... so problem solved..... lets hope they added a decent editing section, so that sounds are savable OUTSIDE of note patterns.......

Message 45/66             26-Feb-98  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: MC-505 on sale

kilo

oh yeah.... Roland emailed me yesterday actually, so it looks like we're gonna be able to get stuff to review....... that's what they asked.... "do you want ??"..... I said YES!

Message 46/66             27-Feb-98  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: MC-505 on sale

pbovadik

It is the bomb. Last nite I got it to play samples on
my A3000. No problem, and you don't lose a track on the
Mc-505 doing it. I love this thing. Try the 303 lead 2
patch with the lo-fi effect on. It kicks.

Message 47/66             27-Feb-98  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: MC-505 on sale

kid303

Yeah,we heard the same 'rave' reviews from the music press
last year with the mc303.

Message 48/66             10-Mar-98  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: MC-505 on sale

phil

oooo errr missus!
Looks to me like the QM309 still kicks arse.
Perhaps Roland will stop pissing around putting in crap samplers, bells and flowers, and get back to making decent sequencers eventually, after all it was them that started it.

Message 49/66             11-Mar-98  @  04:27 AM   -   Oiy "Rosebud" RE:Covert Op.MC-505

" Cat Girl"

I heard that the MC 505 has both 50pin and 68pin SCSI options plus a Random Access memory card option which allows up to 9GB of data storage; it has 256 voice polyphony and you can hook up to 9 of them for 128 tracks of HD disk recording, it also has an inbuilt 5000000 note sampler and you can put up to 16 real-time FX on each track. Plus I heard that Daft Punk and the Prodigy secretly used the MC 505 in their latest albums, and no other equipment, you can use the DBeam contoller as a laser Gun too if you download the `MC 505 Lasergun patch' from Utter_ BS@Roland.com.

Message 50/66             11-Mar-98  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: MC-505 on sale

john

I covet my 505. 'nuff said. I skipped work to f' with it all day. I'm raving in my living room.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)