aaa Real 303 / sequencer clone - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 01-Feb-00  @  06:26 PM   -   Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hi folks. I am a builder of several TB303 clones, and I've designed several commercial midi/cv units and sequencer designs.

My next project is a new 303 clone. Unlike existing clones, it will use the original 303 circuitry. So being more than just a clone, it will be a REAL 303. In addition, I will be cloning the sequencer itself to the exact specs of the original. The case will be just larger than the original 303 box, with a very similar control layout.

This unit will eventually be available for sale. I will build a few and sell them if anyone is interested.

My question is, if I were to make the *perfect* 303 clone, what extras should it have?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/63             01-Mar-00  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded303

Link?:  No link

Hi Trev. Have been away for a while. Your freinds here that want to contribute are adding some useful info. Things like battery power I just took for granted, not mentioning it's importance. Good one. As far as the sequencer goes, my interest is in it's feel mostly. It has a different vibe than rebirth, but the rebirth interface is nice. I love the transposition memory idea too. My suggestion to reverse a sequence note for note is another random composition approach . 303 heads can continue using their best discerning ear to rely on serendipity. This is a great aspect of the 303 that could be expanded on with the reverse function. Dedicated button called 'Backmasking,' able to reverse a pattern on the fly as simple as transposing on the fly. Effects should be an unnecessary cost and hastle really, unless they're very unique and useful. You'll make it how you like it. I think time and space could be used to greater affect (pun not intended). I have effects already and would rather have a simple LFO even, or a HPF/BPF. However, a natural overdrive would work well for me. Here's a nifty thought~ It would be killer to be able to program accent shifts up to every possible combination available. That way I could have accents change from down beat to up beat, etc. automatically and painlessly over a pattern while I tweak. For what it's worth some mind fodder for the man with a plan. Cheers,
Shredded

Message 52/63             01-Mar-00  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

ewatters

to the guy who would not pay $1000 to get the real thing and can not understand why we can't be happy with clones. if you can not hear the difference then obviously you don't truely appreciate the hollowness and growl only a true tb-303 can produce. trev if you can reproduce that sound i will buy one and sell them for you. i just want that woop that makes me go nuts in a club.

Message 53/63             02-Mar-00  @  06:26 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Link?: Link

Sorry about my previous bit of rage there. I think some people are determined to knock the efforts of others and it does get you down sometimes. Many thanks for the encouragement. This project is going ahead but it will take time. For those of you who have emailed me, sorry I've not had the chance to reply yet but I am not being ignorant :-). In the meantime please keep those ideas in. Remember I want you to imagine what your ideal 303 clone would be, any ideal/unique/new features it should have, *anything* you would like to specify, even if there's any particular control layout you would like. The ideas you folk have been giving me so far have been most useful and have influenced the design.

In the meantime let me have your email's and I'll keep you posted on the progress. Hey! Shredded303! Give me your email address, dammit! ;-)

Trev

Message 54/63             02-Mar-00  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded303

All that must be said can be posted.
I love you Trev! (fun)

Really, I like this thread, but I'm not sure what other relavent information I could give.

Today I was realizing that I'll have to one day come to terms with the natural death of my 303. I am glad that 777 is in production, and even happier that your making a scrupulously designed clone cuz I'll need it. I realize R & D can take a while, but I'll be tuning in to see what's new. I love hearing suggestions made by others as well. Please keep us posted!
~Oh and thanks Trev for adding a voice to my thread. -Ta mate!

Message 55/63             03-Mar-00  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

It wouldn't hurt to be able to set longer loops than just 4 bars, or alternatively to be able to enter more than 16 notes into a pattern. (question: why would the 101 have 100 note memory on the sequencer and the 303 be able to play 20 max???)

Message 56/63             03-Mar-00  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

jcraig

20? how can you put more than 16 notes (steps) in?

Message 57/63             03-Mar-00  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

oldskool

You can't, the maximum is 16!!!!

Message 58/63             04-Mar-00  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded303

Yup. The max is 16. The 'other max' is 64, not 20! This is done by chaining Chain up to four patt. at 16 max. per patt. Or, get odd numbers going like 23 for example by chaining patterns that were made in step mode. Patterns are made in step mode by pushing the 'Bar' button while simultaneously tapping the "Step" button. For instance, if you want patt.1 to be 7 measures and you chain to patt.2, then you will have 23 total. Follow the step mode procedure, holding down 'Bar' and tapping in on the 'Tap' button the total number of steps/beats desired for that measure. Do this procedure just after you've cleared a pattern and then enter the pitches and so on, and you'll be jammin. This can create some freaky evolving lines. Try it.

Message 59/63             04-Mar-00  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded303

Everyone prolly knows about chaining, but step mode might not be as obvious and it's really a key feature to the sequencer.

~Peace Out~

Message 60/63             05-Mar-00  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded303

...Oops, I meant 7 beats in a measure not 7 measures in a pattern. Getting tracks and patterns transposed in the wording.

Trev, the ability to link the knobs to follow any knob would be cool. I read somewhere that someone used rubber bands to make a couple knobs turn together, this is the idea. It could be useful to link combinations of parameters that change in tandem relative to individual intitial settings set per knob. Also, if this could be reset in real-time as the knobs are being dialed I can imagine the results would be impressive.

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 63 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)