aaa Hardware compressors - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Hardware compressors

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  01:41 PM   -   Hardware compressors

Def Z

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm looking to add a h/w compressor to my studio. I have some good s/w ones, but I miss the ability to compress things realtime while I'm composing and arranging. I have a nice unit (Focusrite Tonefactory) that has some simple adjustments for recording acoustic things (voice included), but I'd like to add something that has all the features. I'm looking for a unit that has the following features...

1. Full control of Attack, Release, Threshold, Ratio

2. LOW LOW LOW noise

3. Dual Mono (for compressing a bassline and a kick drum simultaneously

4. $500 or less (US)

The units that have been recommended to me are the Presonus ACP-22 (I had a bluemax that was quite good and I am leaning towards them for product loyalty), a dbx160, the HHB Fat Man, a Summit box and a Joe Meek. Because I have a good mic-pre in the Tonefactory, this unit will only be used for instruments, and again, a LOW noise floor is very important. Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/69             11-Dec-02  @  04:08 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

Hey Z - I'd be happy to help sort ya out, unfortunately I'm takin' off tomorrow an' I won't be back until the 24th (heading to the bowels of the midwest...)...

If yer still havin' issues when i return, by all means, give a shout an' well see about sortin' you out.

Message 52/69             14-Dec-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

I've been doing some reading on the UAD1 deal and it looks like it has some latency and stability problems. I'm not sure that I want to add that to my list of issues. Plus, anything involving computer hardware has been a real pain in the ass for me. So, I think I'm gonna steer clear of that.

I also looked into the Waves stuff, and its simply too rich for me. I DEFINITELY can't afford that stuff. SF is still a possibility as I have used it and liked it - a heck of a lot more than Wavelab, anyways.

Once I get my RM1X sold, and the holidays are over, I'm gonna need to make a decision. I'm still leaning in the h/w compressor direction, but I could bypass the whole thing and get a used keyboard for fun. :-) I can be a gear-whore once, right?

Message 53/69             14-Dec-02  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Formant

"i have been seriously considering selling my waves gold bundle... would let it go for a good price if you are interested... "

formant@bellsouth.net

Message 54/69             15-Dec-02  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Waves folks wants $100 for a license transfer? That sounds like a crock to me.

I've always secretly lusted after a virus and/or a prophecy... $500 could get me either. ;-)

Message 55/69             15-Dec-02  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Formant

ha ha cool well i wasn't planning on doing anything till early next year so just let me know  

you can get a virus A now for $500??

wait, i am saving up for a hardware compressor myself.. no more synths!!!!

jaemy

Message 56/69             15-Dec-02  @  02:41 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Yeah man, I was digging through Harmony Central classifieds and saw a bunch around $450. Same with the Prophecy. Or, I could go completely analog. Anyone know of a good $500 analog? ;-)

Message 57/69             15-Dec-02  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Mindspawn

Juno 60 - around $250-350.

Juno 106, has built in MIDI - around $350

Technosaurus - $250-400

SH 101 - around $250-350

Chroma Polaris - around $400

Message 58/69             16-Dec-02  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Mindspawn, you're a trip. ;-)

Before I got the Darkstar, I considered the technosaurus, and since considering a "frivolous" buy here, I have looked into the Juno 106 and SH101. I was talking to my wife about this today, and she says analog. Problem is that it's tough to find one to play.

Message 59/69             16-Dec-02  @  03:34 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

shit. you go from a compressor toa synth. funny guy

want real analog with modern capabilities?

pulse.

or that new..uh..shit..whats it called? uh...damn. breakerbox showed it to me

Message 60/69             16-Dec-02  @  07:11 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Mindspawn

Well analogs ain't for the meek. A lot of 'em don't have any way of "saving" a patch. You dial it in, use it, turn it off, and lose it.... That said, they do things a digital synth can't/won't due to active electronics, changes in power supply/temperature, etc. Also, some of the analogs are more stable than others. The Junos are fairly straight forward, most can save patches, and in cases like the Juno 106, you get built in MIDI.

If you're a patient sort, dunna worry too much about not being able to "play" one to test. As long as the machine is in good working order methinks you'll dig it. Pretty much everyone I've ever seen turned onto analogs really prefer them over digital, present company included. Mind you, for any kind of live play, I still favor the digital side of things, solely cos you have a lot less headaches when dragging them to shows and so on...

I've got a couple analogs over here at the studio if you want to see what they're like to muck about with... Did I introduce you to the Chroma Polaris the last time you were here?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 69 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)