aaa What makes Goa, Goa - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: What makes Goa, Goa

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 28-Feb-00  @  11:25 PM   -   What makes Goa, Goa

AietaD

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I know its a place, and Ive listed to MP3.com examples, but all I come away with is speed techno. Theres obviously alot more going on, but what?

What are the rudiments of Goa, if theres such a thing, or the scales at work here/there.

If possible a grid definition, or any other pointers would be appreciated

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 61/68             08-Apr-02  @  07:55 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

milan

Link?: Link

i second what Maarten said: around here people who say 'tekno' usually mean acid/ardkore/gabber.

free tekno! free party! free... willy!

you know the style  

Cheers, M.

Message 62/68             09-Apr-02  @  03:07 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Link?:  Link

Tekno is all kinds of stuff I think now. Everything from Mills to Prodigy to Orbital is considered under that umbrella. I think there's tekno in the broad term and tekno in the less broad term. Some fellow dissed a track I had put up as being weak-ass tekno and told me to listen to a list of artists. I listened to some of them. It wasn't at all the kind of music I'm looking to write at the moment but it was tekno. Genres are confusing sometimes. Certainly that guy had a narrower description of tekno.

But this is a goa thread. Had the tekno track been goa instead, the guy would have said it was "a week a goa".

Message 63/68             13-Apr-02  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

brett

my buddy and i were playing at a club/bar the other night abd this girl came up and asked if all we played was techno. My freind said, "first this isn't techno, we play house, and second, what do you want to hear?" she said . "i like the music up front" he laughed and said"then just go back up front then!" she stormed off. it was funny. they play pop and rock up in the front bar and he does progressive in the back. People who haven't have come up on this stuff don't understand it and mmost likely won't unless they have freinds to break it down for them and take the to teach them about it. I could fill an entire semester with the history of modern dance music going back to disco and moving into the origins of house that came from that, and the "techno" that emerged from Kraftwerkian stuff. From there it splinters into a million directions. From hip hopers sampling kraftwerk, to belgian new beat sampling the hiphopers and putting it to acid grooves in the late 80's. even the industrial stuff had scratching in it. So everything funky influenced everything else. Trance can be traced back to tangerine dreams's rubicon albumn. There is a cool documentary from the BBC called the history of rock and roll, vol 10 "the perfect beat" talks about the shift from disco and punk to funky drum machine driven beats. Kraftwerk, new order, africa bambata etc. interesting.

but think about daed styles that have come and gone.

remember new beat, hard floor, grind, acid house

but reailize the sounds of those are still prevelent in todays stuff.

it's funny, because after my buddy sent that chick off mad, i said "well, ya know she is right, this is tech house, some of it" and it sounds an aful like the stuff i called techno 12 years ago. I have crates full of this old 80's techno that only a few cities in the states ever even listend to. San Fran, NY, Chigago, and thanks to bruce at record rack, Houston. I talked with Art at Razormaid(the ultimate remix dj service in the 80's) and he said that a large majority of their sales came from houston and cities in Texas. It really doesn't matter, but I would be much happier if the kids spinning knew more about the roots of the music they play and listen too. I guess I just feel like this underground stuff has no begining and no end to them and that real history is being lost and forgoten.

Message 64/68             14-Apr-02  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

matt

right on brett.

I did enjoy reading Dan Sickos book "tekno rebel's" , i think tho..it came short..sorta like just a briefing of the techno history..or something...

I didnt know goa still existed :P

Message 65/68             15-Apr-02  @  06:23 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Brett B

but who was the author who coined the phrase techno. I can't remember but it was a techno-pop comment that started the use of the term. I'll check out that book.

It's funny, how genre's stay the same but the name for it changes. I hear deep house now and it's called techno in the stores and becoming less common to even hear played. Just repetative acid lines and loops and noise. We called it acid house in the 80's and then it was deep house in the 90's, We never used the word techno. we said alternative dance, or the actual style....like NewBeat, Or Nu-wave or acid etc. techno has always been a main stream way of grouping it all together until recently when I saw the term was being used at record stores to describe what used to be called deep house which went through a period when it was called hard house in the 90's. Tracks being released on the razormaid gridlock series from 90-94. This stuff was straight up techno, and rave"let's rock" or "james brown is dead", and "I am the one and only dominator".
I guess when I hear the word techno , I think of this old rave stuff. Hell, my favorate label in the late 80's was TechnoDromeInternational. So the term got played by both listeners and record labels. So it's easy to see It misused.

What it boils down to, is that the last thing everyone into underground wants, is for normal mainstream people to be into what they are. So the evolution and continuous redefining is what makes it so confusing to the masses and the music evolves and changes as well. It's all part of the comrodery that exists in the depths of the dark clubs and keeps the timid and closed minded at the "clean well lighted place".

Message 66/68             19-Apr-02  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Anything to do with "MUSIC NON-STOP. TECHNO-POP"? A nice little chune by Kraftwerk.

Message 67/68             23-Apr-02  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Brett

that track is tight, but it came later in 1988.
in 1978 "trans Europe Express" was the one that blew everyones minds, because no one had ever done anything like it. Egyptian chords and funky hip-hop style drum machines, with synth stabs run through vocoders. It was the original slow version. They rereleased it in 1989 and then in 92' again , both faster remixes more along the electro-funk lines of what the original song inpsired in the few years that followed. The style didn't really begin to gain any attetion until 1982 or so when all the parks, subways and streets had kids on card board breaking to it. But electro came on pretty strong with all the original artists sampling the shit out of that kraftwerk record, or steeling chords etc. Like egyptian lover, nucleus, afrika bambata, houdini, afro rican, dj majic mic, etc etc...

Message 68/68             03-May-02  @  12:42 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

I've heard of but never have heard trans europe express. should get my hands on it.

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 68 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)