aaa RIAA wants you! - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: RIAA wants you!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Original Message                 Date: 26-Jul-03  @  06:01 PM   -   RIAA wants you!

beds

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

^ look

* if i remember correctly, in the first three months of this year music sales increased in the uk.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 61/116             06-Aug-03  @  04:09 AM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Mick

Link?: Link

"I think influx was saying 40,000 a year gross pay should be sufficient"

$40,000 wouldn't even cover the cost of a year's touring. $40,000 net I might agree with but I'm curious as to the number of people on this site who have children and what they think of raising a family on $40,000. God forbid someone's child is born needing lifelong medical attention beyond the norm.

Message 62/116             06-Aug-03  @  04:40 AM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

nye bevan

Link?:  No link

that's what taxes are for.

Message 63/116             06-Aug-03  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

99devils

Influx said:

I get annoyed by the Ani thing...one of my ex's dragged me to a show, and the merch was still like $25 for a shitty shirt, CDs were $21 or so...

---------------------------------------------

I have to weigh in on this a little bit. Being from Buffalo, I hear a lot about Ani and her comings and goings. What I can say is that she pumps a ton of money back into the community. She still lives here, in her home town. She runs her business out of Buffalo. She just shelled out like $3 million or something like that to buy and restore a landmark church that was crumbling to the ground, and our city council was too fucking stupid to figure out how to save it. They literally had the street closed on the churches block for years because the were afraid the steeple was going to fucking fall off the church. She's setting up all her companies in that building, creating jobs in the city, and paying taxes in a place that's lost like 40% of its population over the last 10 years.

So she isn't hiding behind anything. Of course she plays the game.. What artist doesn't? Once you make the decision you're going to live off it you have no choice. Like Mick said, you have realities you need to think about - medical expenses, retirement, supporting a family, etc.. It's nice to know that she gives it back when she knows she has a surplus...

As opposed to Johnny Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls who took his money and split to LA, or some of these rappers who have one hit song and buy a fucking grage full of Bentleys.

-Craig

PS - sometimes she's even sighted at people's gigs or in various bars downtown..

Message 64/116             06-Aug-03  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

errata

you know, it's not fair to single Ani out on this shit! She is as good as it gets... but the point of the discussion is not Ani, as i read it, it's about indie's claiming to be honest and outside of the bullshit... when they aren't...

It is a bit hypocritical to sing songs about a departure from the machine, how ugly the shit is, and then to dig right in with everyone else... that said i do not feel entitled in any way to judge anybody and it's a mistake that it got to bashing any individual!

I'm just saying if you don't like the machine, if it makes you sick... don't feed it. Period

Hey Mick, I'm not pissing on you... didn't mean to come off that way. I'm a grown up, with children... I live on right around $40,000 and frankly when compared with the rest of the earth, that's obscene! It's fuckin' sick that I make twice the earth's monthly wage everyday! That's not OK... but our culture REQUIRES it to some degree... I don't want my children to be homeless and shit on by a twisted society that puts greed before compassion. So I'm a part of that shit too. But I don't NEED more than that, and therefore I don't take it. I could.

But this ain't about me... just answering your call for someone to speak up who has more than themselves to consider. I'd feel like a shitty father if I taught my children otherwise.

e

Message 65/116             06-Aug-03  @  05:48 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

errata

look at bands like Yo La Tengo for how we could be doing it!

e

Message 66/116             06-Aug-03  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

influx

Link?:  Link

craig, thats really cool to hear about, but that doesnt justify charging the same ludicrous amounts as the supposedly mainstream acts and their promoters do.

but as errata said...Im not attacking ADF. It was just an example. This kind of shit happens all the time.

altho..people could just not buy the damn shirts, huh? 

Message 67/116             07-Aug-03  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

cheddar

Just the market bearing

market hahahaha

whats the point again?

Message 68/116             07-Aug-03  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

99devils

Exactly, people could just not buy the shirts..

I can see how easy it is to get caught up in it though.. One minute it's like my band - broke, broke, broke. So broke there's no way we could even think about sustaining ourselves. So you charge whatever the max is you can get so you can pay your bills. Then somewhere along the line you realize, "hey I'm fucking loaded".. At least Ani gives it back to where she came from.

I know it wasn't an Ani diss specifically but I'm sure she's not the only one who does this, and I'm sure there are many who do just feed the machine.

If that matters to you you should only support the artists who have similar beliefs. That's part of the reason why I'm such a huge KMFDM fan - there's a measure of musical integrity that's missing in most bands today.

To steer this back on topic, I saw in Rolling Stone that the RIAA sued four college kids who built MP3 search engines for like $900 million apiece. They wound up settling for $9-12k, but basically they took these kids' college tuition savings.

I swear if I didn't love music so much I'd never buy another fucking CD.

Someone should sue the RIAA on the basis that shutting down things like Napster and MP3 searches illegally re-enforces the virtual monopoly their combined constituents hold over independent artists like ourselves.. In effect forcing artists to go through the system for distribution. It's anti-competetive.

-Craig

Message 69/116             07-Aug-03  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Mick

The RIAA must be stopped.

Every real musician dies destitute but not every destitute musician really LIVES!!!!

"So if ah rrrisk me neck fer yoo do ah get ta kill kill the music industrree execs?"

"Aye, ya get to kill the music industry execs."

"Excellent!"

Message 70/116             07-Aug-03  @  11:30 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

pict

Link?:  No link

Aye those record company executives are nearly as bad as the English.
*ducks hail of arrows,bends over,lifts kilt,shakes arse at the filthy sasannaich*:P

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

There are 116 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)