aaa RIAA wants you! - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: RIAA wants you!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Original Message                 Date: 26-Jul-03  @  06:01 PM   -   RIAA wants you!

beds

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

^ look

* if i remember correctly, in the first three months of this year music sales increased in the uk.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 71/116             07-Aug-03  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

influx

well, we're in agreement about that. the RIAA reminds me of our govt in general. they claim to be protecting US, but what theyre protecting is their own interest, "US" be damned!

Message 72/116             08-Aug-03  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

influx

due to a recent spat with an omniscient, omnipotent being, I came to the realization that my stance on the "ani" thing has been misinterpreted.

not that it matters in the slightest, but Id like to make it clear that I am in no way against artists making money. AT ALL. Those who have accused me of this are idiots. period.

My "beef" is with "independent" artists who continually spout off about being independent, and yet follow the exact same model as those they claim to be rallying against.

THIS is where the $25 T-Shirt comes in. The kind of profit margin seen on some of these things is ludicrous. I dont remember what was paid to get into the ADF show I went to, but I dont remember it being too high, but it wasnt all that low either.

but...mick..you get so pissy about all this, and yet...you have a HUGE rig, last I saw, with how many keyboards, etc? That is your own personal business, mind you, but the minute you start thinking that is a necessity and that "the audience" should finance you is when it gets ridiculous. Same thing goes for any band...I mean...there are ways to cut costs, and there are ways to reduce the amount of required income and if someone isnt looking into these possibilities, then in my mind their expectations of income are a sketchy.

but there isnt any real reason that a musician, singer, whatever, shouldnt be similiar to a carpenter, plumber, etc. They provide a service, however intangible sometimes, and definitely deserve to get paid.

but..its STILL ludicrous to EXPECT this! no matter what anyone says, talent is a gift and nothing more. All that work to get to that level of proficiency does not automatically equal reward! Yes, maybe it "should" be different. I wont argue against that.

The comment about paying for someones house, etc, and sending their kids to college? Im sorry but wtf is that shit? NONSENSE.

anyway...off topic yet again, but this got brought up by someone else and I was accused of many things which I am not

Message 73/116             09-Aug-03  @  01:46 AM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Mick

Link?: Link

Ah, but that huge rig wasn't financed by any concert going audience. It was financed by Hollywood!!!

Message 74/116             09-Aug-03  @  03:10 AM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

influx

no..I know, AND its already paid for...

but what Im saying..hmmm

summation:

modern income expectations are often way too high, including those of "artists"

to expect the plebians to support an exorbitant income expectation is ludicrous. I for one wont go for it, nor would I ask it.

better?

Message 75/116             09-Aug-03  @  08:10 AM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Mick

Just takin the piss Dave. Really, I have absolutly no illusions about having been self indulgent with regard to my gear over the past few years. It was an opportunity I simply decided to take because it was there. Its not however, because my income was high but because I kept my expenses low. I've mentioned this before so I won't bore anyone. I am in fact a good example of the point that thas been made about how much people need to live on. I won't mention any specific figure but I will say that I haven't hit $40,000 yet.

My statement about fans paying for an artist's home, etc. is simply a recognition of a defacto relationship.

Message 76/116             09-Aug-03  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

influx

well, we are in agreement as long as the artist agrees to forego the rockstar gluttony.

Message 77/116             09-Aug-03  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Mick

Suddenly I have this picture of Ani, sitting at a long wooden table in a large torch lit hall surrounded by the Lilith Fair lineup, weilding a mutton chop in one hand and an overflowing goblet in the other while espousing the virtues of 25 dollar bear skins emblazoned with her name.  

Message 78/116             09-Aug-03  @  03:17 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

d

Link?:  No link

Well I don't think it's up to some artist's fans to buy him/her a home. They pay their money, they get a concert performance or a shirt or a cd or whatever. Should said artist be able to balance his/her checkbook and discover there's enough there for a house, fine. Should they blow it all on coke and whores and end up living in a cardboard box and being profiled on VH1 Behind the Music, that's a shame but also fine. I don't see where it's my job to tell them how to live and spend any cash they've made off me anymore than if they were a fry cook at a waffle house. "These sure are some good waffles, sir. Now you save up really good and you can send your kids to state college." heh heh.

Message 79/116             09-Aug-03  @  06:12 PM     Edit: 09-Aug-03  |  06:15 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Mick

>

Message 80/116             09-Aug-03  @  06:13 PM     Edit: 09-Aug-03  |  06:21 PM   -   RE: RIAA wants you!

Mick

'>

-

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

There are 116 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)