aaa That funky french house bass sound - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: That funky french house bass sound

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             21-Feb-05  @  01:13 PM   -   That funky french house bass sound

monkeybasket2001

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

im trying to achieve that bass sound often heard in french and american house- its a real bass with what i think is filtering on it but cant seem to achieve the same sound...

does anyone know what sound sources these guys use? a lot of it is real bass sampled but then they do something to bring up the mid as well as the low end but at the same time gives space for the bd....but they cant all play bass or have access to a bass player so do you know what these guys are using as samples?

so ive got me some good bass multisamples- bass legends, clearmountain etc and got me a nice frostwave resinator and have had limited results in achiveing the sound...i cant seem to get the mids right...anyone know the secret? is it the sound source the filtering or both and more....

any tips would be greatly appreciated..

greg

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             21-Feb-05  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: That funky french house bass sound

milan

Link?: Link

yeah its a real bass guitar... as for specifics, maybe some bass players can tell you more. you could try boosting around 400hz to give the bass more presence and cutting the same frequencies on the kick so it doesnt interfere. in both cases you would be using a narrow parametric eq. thats all i can htink of right now...

Message 3/23             21-Feb-05  @  04:07 PM   -   RE: That funky french house bass sound

monkeybasket2001

cheers milan, i think ill have to upload a sample as my old technique was to try get the sound with eq but it never really cut it- think it has to do with the bass source as well as what your using to filter with as all the bass samples i have sound pretty bad with boosts around those regions...

it seems this is a bit of a holy grail sound- so many producers use it but no one ive asked knows how they achieve it

greg

Message 4/23             21-Feb-05  @  04:10 PM   -   RE: That funky french house bass sound

Dominic

mate, why don't you get Trilogy? Loads and loads of quality bass gtr's all in an easy to use interface. WIth the option of 32 bit. Sit's in mix really well. Syncable LFO's in Version 1.1 update also available at Spectrasonics website.

Message 5/23             21-Feb-05  @  04:43 PM     Edit: 21-Feb-05  |  05:14 PM   -   RE: That funky french house bass sound

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

"it seems this is a bit of a holy grail sound- so many producers use it but no one ive asked knows how they achieve it"

very true that...

or... so many producers use it but no one seems to want to share it, prolly more apt

same goes with beats, was skipping through a sample cd from about 4 years ago commercial released and every second percusion loop is instantly recognizable from maybe last 3-4 years including todays new stuff, from house things like mojo - lady, to trancers like rank1 etc

funny enough same cd has 3 folders of ready to use house bass samples taht sound very familiar also...

Message 6/23             21-Feb-05  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: That funky french house bass sound

milan

... and you wont even tell him which cd it is? just goes to show, eh

Message 7/23             22-Feb-05  @  12:51 AM   -   RE: That funky french house bass sound

k

Link?:  Link

perhaps it's to do with the strings and the bass itself, there is flatwound, roundwound and halfwound, they all sound different, as do various makes of bass.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/23             22-Feb-05  @  01:45 AM     Edit: 22-Feb-05  |  01:48 AM   -   RE: That funky french house bass sound

k

x

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/23             22-Feb-05  @  05:29 AM   -   RE: That funky french house bass sound

Garuna

A simple finger bass or plucked bass sound will do. You can try to mute it with reso/cutoff filter, but a lot of that sound comes from compressing the bass, kick and snare. This is brilliantly explained in this thread by Brett...

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/forums/thread.cfm?show_all=1&threadid=28208&messages=42&chatter_id=24&age=&step_rowcount=1&step_messagecount=1&start=1&end=42&threads_start=1&threads_end=50

And finally play the bass by hand for the best groove effect.

Message 10/23             22-Feb-05  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: That funky french house bass sound

monkeybasket2001

cheers lads, i think k is on point- initially the bass sound needs to be right- i got quite close last night with a multisample from a bob clearmountain set but still couldn't crack the mids properly...im gonna have to try with

dom i have loads of bass samples and also dont use a pc to compose with so trilogy wont help although its probably def worth sampling...

Blu- i hear you there- im pretty sure half the things i spend inordinate amounts of time trying to achieve are actually from sample cd or pre-fab loops- its becoming increasingly more common- only the other day i found the piano sound to the last tune on goldies timeless as a preset on my vintage keys

guess im gonna have to keep trying-

greg

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)