aaa Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             20-Oct-97  @  11:37 PM   -   Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

misterblu

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok, I know I can't afford a Neuman U87 Ai, so are there any other good condenser mics out there that are in the $300-$400 (us) price range??? How about a nice tube preamp???

Also, can anyone recommend a good stand alone hard disk recorder?? The new Akai looks promising, the rolands nice, but more expensive for the moment... any others I'm missing??? Before you start telling me about Pc based systems, realize that I have a 486/66... and after buying expensive software in the past, and seeing its value quickly drop to nothing, I think that I can safely say that hardware will hold its value longer...what do you think???

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             21-Oct-97  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

kilo

yup.......nowt wrong with an external stand-alone h/d unit..... my mate uses a fostex HD unit.....excellent, outputs midi code, and the sequencer chases it all day.....BUT... he ran out of disk space very quickly, and no scsi, so...........

as for the mic's, what about the akg 3000, or those Russian Octava mikes......also the akg c-1000 is ok too....

Message 3/14             21-Oct-97  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

Spud

The Rode NT-1 is an excellent large diaphram condenser mic, I think it's about $400. Totally pro quality.

As far as a pre-amp, I know it's not tube, but the Joe Meek Pro Channel VC3 is the best $325 I've ever spent. The compressor is fantastic, and the enhancer is way cool as long as you don't go hog wild with it.

Believe it or not, the Vestax HD recorders are EXCELLENT. They come with a mic pre, too (but they don't have phantom power). Cheap, too.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Message 4/14             21-Oct-97  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

Spud

The Rode NT-1 is an excellent large diaphram condenser mic, I think it's about $400. Totally pro quality.

As far as a pre-amp, I know it's not tube, but the Joe Meek Pro Channel VC3 is the best $325 I've ever spent. The compressor is fantastic, and the enhancer is way cool as long as you don't go hog wild with it.

Believe it or not, the Vestax HD recorders are EXCELLENT. They come with a mic pre, too (but they don't have phantom power). Cheap, too.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Message 5/14             21-Oct-97  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

Avene

Link?:  Link

Yeah I got a Rode NT2 and a Vestax HDR6 hard disk recorder. There both great. The Vestax has an awesome sound, it's just so warm. The newer version is the HDR8 V8. It's supposed to be pretty good. I would check out the Akai DPS12 though. It looks good and being Akai I'm sure it would sound nice. Get a Rode mic also. They really clear, even the older version of the NT1 that came out a number of years ago.

Message 6/14             02-Nov-97  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

David

I picked up an AKG 414 used for $675.00 and it made an incredible difference in my recordings. A friends got one of those large diaphram Audio Technica condensers and it sounds great.

As for pre-amps, I've heard those little ART things are really nice (and tube) and also their levelor.

For a recorder, I'd check an ADAT just cause the storage is so cheap (S-VHS tapes). You can find amazing bargains on used original units since the XT has come out and then just lock up your sequencer to it.

Message 7/14             03-Nov-97  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

DA-88's or ADAT's are necessary for compatibility with larger studios. I've got that ART tube pre, but it's a bit muddy. Still better than anything in a console.

Message 8/14             06-May-98  @  06:11 AM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

jmb

hey, i have a problem.I'm just getting into pc based recording and have a n-track demo seems pretty coool but the lag keeps changing when i record 2nd or more tracks can anyone suggest a good multi track pc recorder program thats killer.need something at least 4 stereo tracks(would settle for mono for now)i can record my drum tracks (with my old yamaha ry 10drum machine)and guitar tracks together but need tracks for vocals and bass(the bass on the yamaha sucks)any feedback would be cool!! want to try pcrecording cause the old lady bitches enough about all the equip. and cords now,dont need any more.

Message 9/14             06-May-98  @  09:46 AM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

JohnDo

Free fully working multitrack software demo called Multiquence at www.goldwave.com you can import wave files, loop waves record tracks, mix, realtime fx, render the mix to a wave, also some midi player bit but I haven't tried it. I used it to bring in drum loops from hammerhead and record vocals and guitar. Apparently cakewalk does all this stuff too.

Message 10/14             06-May-98  @  10:29 AM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

steve

I have CW 6.0, with up-dated versions allow you to actually render the FX? to wave. My just allow you listen within CW.

Message 11/14             07-May-98  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

jmb

Thanks,I,ll check it out.

Message 12/14             07-May-98  @  04:28 PM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

automouse

With rolands new 16 track HDR, the vs-880s should be dropping in price. Not as much room to manuver as a tape system, but you can't beat it for creative flexability. Built in scsi, portable, s/pdif, and an avalable internal efx board. I've seen ones with the new software and efx board installed for $1500 US.

Message 13/14             07-May-98  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

steve

jmb-

That last message was just about unreadable. Sorry.
My typing skills are appalling.

I was actually asking a question about CW 6.0 and the fact that the fx section only let's you hear fx applied to your wave. You can't render them to disk. Does anyone know if higher versions can? Jmb, sounds like you need a beefier PC. There's tons of info on this site to get you started, regarding your original querie.

Message 14/14             11-May-98  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: Condenser Mics, and hard disk recorders..etc.

carles

Hi ,
I´ve use the Ensoniq PARIS HD recorder .It sounds wonderful and you can use the computer native file system
for backup (not like session8) .It also comes with an
external controller with faders and all...
It records 16 simultaneous tracks and can playback 128
tracks .
Check out Paris homepage : http://www.paris.ensoniq.com
Also I use a lot the Oktava´s condensers (012 and 219 both
and I can tell you that they worth three times what they
cost !!!.Specially the 012 cause you can found many "pro"
and cheap large diafragm comdesnsers (like mk219) as
many ppl here said .
Hope this helps .And check PARIS homepage!!!
(I sync it with cubase for midi)

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)