aaa MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 10

Original Message                 Date: 19-Dec-02  @  01:52 PM   -   MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

Makin' $$ from my music!!!

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Who's this guy talking about MIDI is done? Ahhh c'mon buddy (90's Child)! Hmmm, let's just go through a small list of innovators who used and still uses MIDI:

ORB, Prodigy, Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, Mr Scruff, Goldie, OD 404, DJ Shadow, FSOL, Leftfield, LTJ Bukem, Moby, Beastie Boys, Daft Punk, Basement Jaxx, Dr Dre, etc. That's just to name a few.

Guess what they all used old analogue gear too with MIDI! What's that about comin' to software where it's better? The most important thing in this message that I wanted to get accross to the 90's Child, is that all those producers that I just listed are making BIG BUCKS off their music. What about you and your software? Have you even done a live show? Thank you and good night.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/99             19-Dec-02  @  10:34 PM   -   RE: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

n3

Midi is just fine for writing songs, but the final piece should be changed to multi track audio for finishing touches, in my opinion. there's just things that are easier to accomplish working with real audio. Write the core of the track with midi, switch to audio for finishing detail.

Message 12/99             19-Dec-02  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

proximus

Link?: Link

It's the music that counts not the way you make it. What works alright for me might not work for you

Message 13/99             20-Dec-02  @  12:28 AM   -   RE: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

errata

No no no...

You MUST write music the way I do or I shall not respect you!

e

Message 14/99             20-Dec-02  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

TiC

well midi is not dead those who say so are total morons with there head in the sand.
but lets face it i relly hope that midi will die soon and it will all be replaced with a better protocol (like usb or firewire or even better cat5 cables 1gbt speed)
and i would relly like to do a blind test on this BT guy cuz i am having a hard time beliving that he actually hears the difference so well he could not go on using midi (even a freind of mine who works as a professional drummer thinks midi is pretty darn tight there are some timing glitches but seriously come on)
And of course they use pro tools thats the program used for recording u moron .Of course the good thing with pro tools is that u can continue the creative process after the initial recording but the sound have to come from somewere and that somewere is controlled by midi or CV or is totally software based and probably sounds like it to

Message 15/99             20-Dec-02  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

BJT

LOL@ proximus

Message 16/99             20-Dec-02  @  04:07 AM   -   RE: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

Scott

"Of course the good thing with pro tools is that u can continue the creative process after the initial recording but the sound have to come from somewere and that somewere is controlled by midi or CV or is totally software based and probably sounds like it to"

Not really. Pro Tools runs off its own custom hardware audio interfaces that handle the DSP functions to take the load off the CPU. That's why it costs so friggin much, along with greed and niche market domination, but that's another issue altogether.  

Think of Pro Tools as the "Oasys of soft sequencers". i.e. To run a "real" PT rig, you have to have their TDM hardware.

This is why PT caught fire with the professional and academic crowds years ago, before all of this VST / plug-in tech was possible, back when Macs were still measured in Mhz.   The appeal was that you had professional, CD/DAT quality audio, zero latency monitoring, extensive digital and analog i/o options, and a great user interface via the computer monitor.

PT really is the most successful union of hardware and software out there. Look at the results. Everyone uses it, and it sounds fantastic. And all of the SW companies try to emulate it; Emagic (now Apple), Steinberg (now Pinnacle), Cakewalk (at least they're still around  ), Opcode (oops, they're gone), and so it goes.

Don't diss PT without knowing. It's actually in your best interest to learn it if you can; it's the real deal and could take you places if you know your sh!t.

Scott

Message 17/99             20-Dec-02  @  05:18 AM   -   RE: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

psylichon

Link?: Link

I think what he means is that when you write electronic music, unless you play each part in live and record the audio as you do, you're gonna have to deal with MIDI at some point.

If you're that much of a timing freak, you need to edit your parts as audio, at the sample-level. But pretty much any digital audio source (i.e. all modern synths) are dealing with MIDI at some level, at some point.

psylichon

Message 18/99             20-Dec-02  @  08:20 AM   -   RE: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

Scott

Yah, I misread and overreacted to TiC's statement. My bad.

I agree, MIDI is not dead, nor will it ever die. It will likely be incorporated in mLan, and (hopefully) not excluded.

Scott

Message 19/99             20-Dec-02  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

90's Child

Don't you idiots know anything. All those top producers have their shit recorded into pro tools. Then, suprise, suprise, the audio tracks are quantised to pre set quantise lines WITHIN pro tools. Thats why it sounds tight.

If anyone bothered to read the original thread, they would know that I was refering to midi cables, bad timing interfaces, daisy chains, etc.

Do you really think that Liam from the Prodigy sits there with a akai 3000 and a computer and has 10 outs from his sampler going staright down a desk? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Jesus!

You people probably think that Timo Maas engineers and produces his own tracks and that Danny Tenaglia is a top engineer also.

You all probably think that Goldie was responsible for Inner City Life and the whole metalheadz sound.

Yes, very good "makin Money". Well done for copying and pasting Liams kit list. The thing you fail to realise is that all his shit is recorded into pro tools THEN produced.

Ps I f@#kin hate BT!

Message 20/99             20-Dec-02  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: MIDI that's the way uh hu- uh uh...

JJ Freqy

Link?:  Link

One thing about MIDI is that a lot of producers who use MIDI are now using chopped up samples of "real" players (guitar riffs, piano riffs, break beats, etc) which have a natural push and pull feel to it anyways.

So, what this means is that there is a natural push and pull incorporated into the MIDI almost like the real band feeling. If the 90s child is saying that 20 ms delay is bad then what does he say about the old disco bands that pushed or pulled tempo or any band for that matter.

All bands vary in tempo (the drummer is only human), it's a natural occurrence. The variance may be so minute that no one can hear it, but it's pretty much the same thing with MIDI- who can really hear the delay? If you say you can then get your equipment checked out, there’s something wrong. All I’m saying is that if you can’t hear the delay then what the h e l l are you complaining about?!? Are you just proud that you only have software? Then maybe I should brag about my set up which cost me more than $16,000 but I won’t because I’ll just use it to achieve what I want and that is music. I appreciate your time and goodnight!

J

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 10

There are 99 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)