aaa Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             16-Apr-98  @  04:55 AM   -   Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

Destroy2k

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I need a new synth. I have narrowed it down to either the nord lead 2 or the JP 8000. I played around with both, and they are both cool, I CANT CHOOSE. I like the display on the JP8000- The nord simple just number system would probably get annoying after a while. I dont know that much about virtual analog synthesis, because I have been using a CS1X. D
So I was hoping that u very knowledgeable people could tell me the differences and mayber help me out in choosing. The people in my local music store dont know much about their synths, so hopefully u guys can help.

Thanx,
-D2k

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             16-Apr-98  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

ivan

It's a matter of taste. I personally prefer the Nord's rawer sounds over JP. Turn down all the effects on the JP (eq, delay and chorus) and the sound isn't as fat anymore. Anyway, here's why I think the NL is better:

-4 outputs so you can seriously mess with effects on all the 4 parts (another plus over JP's 2).
-16 voices, and they go fast. Especially in unison mode simultanously with the analogue drums.. beats the JP's 8.
- easier to use. Personal opinion, but I think it's easier to play and tweak at the same time on the Nord. Some of the easier handling is due to the less features.. like less advanced arp/RPS and no FX.
- It's red and looks cute! ;)

I think you can get them for roughly the same price, at least if you buy a NL2 in rack version.

You should also check out the Virus. It's more powerful than the Nord (higher price tho) and sounds great.

Message 3/24             16-Apr-98  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

Houseman

Definitly the NL2. You can't go wrong.

Message 4/24             16-Apr-98  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

self_osc

You should also check out the Korg Z1. It's more powerful than the Nord and the JP8000 in the analog emulation and offers you a wide range of non-analog and cmbined synthesis techniques : FM, Sync, Ring, Cross modulation, Comb Filtering, Resonant oscillator, and phiscal modelling of reed, pick and bowed strings, organ, brass and e. piano, for ech of 2 oscillators, all combined with a noise source, sub-oscillator, resonant multimode filters (2), Wave Shaper, 4 LFOs, 6 EGs, lot of modulation and sound routing. Also it has the most powerful arpeggiator of any synth of the world and excellent MIDI control.

Dan

Message 5/24             16-Apr-98  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

self_osc

Hey, John, are you ther right now?

Dan

Message 6/24             16-Apr-98  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

self_osc

Hey, John, are you there right now?

Dan

Message 7/24             17-Apr-98  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

Houseman

Definitly the NL2. You can't go wrong.

Message 8/24             17-Apr-98  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

kid303

Wait for the Novation Supernova. If you have to have
one now then the Nord has the better dance sounds.

Message 9/24             17-Apr-98  @  08:34 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

destroy2k

How much will the supernova cost?
Also, what is a good price for the Virus.

Thanx for the help

-d2k

Message 10/24             17-Apr-98  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

virus = $1150 www.xmission.com/~synth

Message 11/24             19-Apr-98  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

HW-Sweden.

I was in the same position as you and choosed the
Jp in spite of beeing swedish the JP are very easy
to work with for the beginner and it have more guitar
music oriented sounds.The JP is not a true bass machine
it produces great bass sound but not in the lowest region
As sombody said amongst guitars JP works well and is
very much alive on stage but for any recording the
Nord is better adapted. If you are planning to buy just
one , choose Nord but if you are planning to buy more
why not try the Jp first. Jp is fun to play with- chords- bass solos. the Nord is the one if you are living your life
by Midi and recording.Its true-turn down the Fx on Jp and
Nord rules. The Jp is maybe a better rock machine
not realy your definite dance partner.

Are saving for a Nord rack but not planning to sell the JP
thats the best deal -but its making me in need to work
more shit....

Message 12/24             19-Apr-98  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

Mike Hunter

I would definately choose the Nord Lead 2 over the JP8000. Not only does it sound better compared with the JP8000 w/o fx (I hate fx any way), it has cooler filters too (anyone disagree?).

Ok, what about a Korg Prophecy vs. Nord Lead 2 vs. JP8000... any comments?

Is that Physical Modelling any good for dance music, or can it like make only flute and brass like sounds?

Message 13/24             19-Apr-98  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

Mike Hunter

I would definately choose the Nord Lead 2 over the JP8000. Not only does it sound better compared with the JP8000 w/o fx (I hate fx any way), it has nicer sounding filters too (anyone disagree?).

Ok, what about a Korg Prophecy vs. Nord Lead 2 vs. JP8000... any comments?

Is that Physical Modelling any good for dance music, or can it like make only flute and brass like sounds?

Message 14/24             19-Apr-98  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

kid303

The prophecy has awesome dance sounds.
It's only monophonic but you can create massive acid
line with this baby. Best thing is it's half the price of the
other machines.

Message 15/24             20-Apr-98  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

kilo.....

youd better hurry if you want a new one from turnkey... there's only so many left, and it's the last batch ever.... (worldwide )... and no i dont work for them...

Message 16/24             20-Apr-98  @  05:10 AM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

Yeah! get the Prophy right now! You'll never be disapointed with this machine! It's so versatile, so powerful, so programmable, so.....so...... G-R-E-A-T!!!!
And I'll say it again: if you can afford the Z1 you're out of everything!!!!!

Dan

P.S.: Kilo, the Prophecy's factory demos that I was found in the machine's section of dancetech are good, but can I send you some non-factory demos to complement the ones you have? I think those audio bits dosn't show the synthesis power of the Prophecy. Thanks.

Message 17/24             20-Apr-98  @  05:11 AM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

self_osc

Yeah! get the Prophy right now! You'll never be disapointed with this machine! It's so versatile, so powerful, so programmable, so.....so...... G-R-E-A-T!!!!
And I'll say it again: if you can afford the Z1 you're out of everything!!!!!

Dan

P.S.: Kilo, the Prophecy's factory demos that I was found in the machine's section of dancetech are good, but can I send you some non-factory demos to complement the ones you have? I think those audio bits dosn't show the synthesis power of the Prophecy. Thanks.

Message 18/24             21-Apr-98  @  01:07 AM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

blunted

Yup, I agree, even if you got tired of the proph...(like that's possible) it's awesome, anyways, later on you could sell it for the price of a Nord...It's slated to be the next TB-303...........Well......maybe not, but I luv mine!!!!!

Message 19/24             21-Apr-98  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

uh, the Z-1 only has 2 outputs (kinda like a Matrix-12, all that power for such a stupid limitation)

Message 20/24             21-Apr-98  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

VR synth

I think you should go for the Novation's Super Nova synth becuase it is so much more powerful in specs. Just check it out look at the info and this place also has a RA. Demo
anyway I say Nord Lead 2 or Rack 2 and the Supernova now that would be shit wright there as for the JP 8000 I dont know it the specs were good until I stumbled over the Real VR any' stuff like the Super Nova or the Access Virus other wise they make the JP 8k Nords and the AN1x look shameful in comperisment in spec wise but as of the sound quality goes I dont know like I said i heard a RA. File of the Supernova and even that RA quality it almost made me shit my pants and that was in real audio sound.
I also heard the Nord Lead and I think its got better sound stuff but the sound they used on the real audio was disapointing though some of it was ok as for the others I dont know there sound stuff.

Message 21/24             21-Apr-98  @  09:05 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

jason.rowe

If you want a Z1 try it out, when flicking through the patches there a 1-2 second delay befor the new patch plays.
That yould try me bonkers.....also the demo machine which wasnt more than a few months old had a fucked screen.

I prefered the Nord but bought the JP so what do I know.....JP's not bad but isnt thrilling on the first play.

Message 22/24             22-Apr-98  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

Peezahj

Link?:  Link

hmm, I just found a guy selling Nord Modulars for dirt cheap: $1800 for the keyboard and $1500 for the rack. Any thoughts? Any reason why that crappy little keyboard would be worth the extra $300? If anybody else wants in, feel free to e-mail me.

Hilevelt

Message 23/24             24-Apr-98  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

steve_hunt

I've done a spreadsheet on Excel listing all the features of all the synths mentioned on this thread! It helped me choose which one to buy. At the end of the day it's got to be down to which features are most important to YOU...

If you want polophony and ease of use go for the Supernova. Personally I'm a bit put off by the lack of FM - it's a real ommission. Also the huge polophony is not that important to me cos I've got stacks of other stuff but if it's your first/only synth then it's got to be a hot fave.
Virus is supposed to have great filters but I've never heard one, bass end is supposed to be a bit weak.
I certainly agree about the JP - turn the fx off and it's weedy.
One you all seem to overlook is the Microwave XT, it's got plenty of knobs and is truly gut wrenching.
The Nords have a charecteristic raw sound and no effects and still sound as good as anything else. Easily better than AN1X/JP.
I agree with everything said about the Proph, it really is hot - acid! A bit hard to program but well worth the perseverence. I'll never sell mine.
So what did I buy?
None of these - what was most important to me was flexibility. I want everything - greedy! It had to be the Nord Modular. I can't explain how forking wonderful this thing is...it's got no fx (ok, some chorus), polophony is typically only 8 voices, but it'll sound like ANYTHING! I've got the expansion on order that'll give it double the voices. So easy to program, don't be put off by the modular approach, it's so easy - but you need a pc...any old pc with a midi interface will do.
I got the keyboard version but play it from my SY99 most of the time.
I've done a 40 min sample cd of the sounds if anyone wants a copy - email me and I'll do you a copy for a small charge to cover costs. Also email me if you want a copy of the synth comparison spreadsheet...

Message 24/24             02-May-98  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: Help me choose - Nord Lead 2 or JP8000

golden.bank

Beleive me, this guy Steve Hunt knows what he is talking about. After reading Paul Nagle's excellent two part review in Sound on Sound I decided to check this machine out further, after all if Paul says that it is a landmark in synthesiser technology then a landmark it is. So anyway after reading Steve's entry here I contacted him because he is obviously very impressed by the Nord, enough to produce a CD as a labour of love so that we have a chance to make up our own minds. Well the CD arrived yesterday and this is one mighty piece of kit. It sounds like so many different instruments - Prophecy, Wavestation,Ensoniq VFX, real FM sounds the list is endless. It blows everything else out of the water, especially my own preconceptions. I just wonder how the other amnufacturers are going to rise to Clavia's latest challenge. Do yourself 3 big favours, check out Paul's review April/May editions of SOS, download the demo from Clavia and contact Steve for his cool CD - then make up your mind. I did and now I am saving as fast as I can. I WANT ONE!! Thanx for your effort Steve.
ChrisB

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)