aaa We wanna go LIVE!!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: We wanna go LIVE!!!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 25-Aug-04  @  02:19 PM     Edit: 25-Aug-04  |  02:24 PM   -   We wanna go LIVE!!!

dARKSTATe

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Ok, so after spending a little time talking to some rather cool guys whilst I was away in Lausanne this weekend - http:\\www.fusefactory.ch - and with our latest album being released last week... the thirst to take our sound live has now become unbearable..

I've done some research, I've sat and talked with our guys and it looks like despite all of my cynicism, we're *seriously* considering the use of a lappy, buying in Live V4, our man Jam on VDrums, our double bassist and of course the darkstate vocalists as the core of a live setup...

From what I've read, Live V4 *could* be a good way to get the bulk of our studio heavy sound out there for "live" re-sequencing on stage. This would be a massive boost to getting rehearsals underway without having to dismantle the studio each time, convert those Cubase SX projects back to midi data (to be read by, say, my P2500's onboard sequencer etc.)..

The idea will be to move the core audio clips from our project across into Live for re-sequencing on the fly on stage (after many rehearsals with it and the other darkstate musicians that is)..

Naturally, the stability of a laptop, WinXP and Live itself is a BIG concern to me but with each and every day now, I'm hearing that it IS viable provided you take some (fairly commonsense) precautions - vibration damping, stripped bear XP build, no crap installed, audio solution with mature drivers - like say, an Echo Indigo - etc..

Of course, despite all that I *still* don't trust PCs completely which is where a 2nd identical system running all of the appropriate audio with its own copy of Live (sync'd to the first but muted during the set) would provide redundancy.. since we haven't got the budget for two tasty laptops then the redundancy would be performed by a spare high-specced mini tower that we do have available to us - setup properly on stage too (same vibration protection etc) but out of the way and only as a LAST resort..

After all my rambling, my thoughts and questions to you fine people is this...

1) Will this work?
2) Is the 2nd machine overkill - despite the fact we won't be in any position to have a 2nd laptop (which would be the ideal portable redundancy solution IMO)
3) Just how good and more importanly STABLE is Ableton Live on the PC?
4) Anyone have any anecdotes for doing anything like this (or any live users out there?)
5) I know a lot of hedz fly by the seat of their pants or SWEAR on hardware only setups for just the very reason that its more "immediate" and reliable - but this is the angle we're aiming for so advice on this tack is gratefully appreciated...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/30             13-Sep-04  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: We wanna go LIVE!!!

milan

Link?: Link

now if you could only get back into studio long enough to finish my tune...

Message 22/30             13-Sep-04  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: We wanna go LIVE!!!

dARKSTATe

..LOL!! No rest for the wicked!!

Seriously, I haven't forgotten it - just trying to line up a young lady who will do it justice!! Bear with me bro'..

Message 23/30             13-Sep-04  @  05:33 PM   -   RE: We wanna go LIVE!!!

milan

you're lucky i'm always out of town with no internet, ya hear!!!

Message 24/30             15-Sep-04  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: We wanna go LIVE!!!

0dB

Link?:  No link

I can vouch for Mr Darkstate here, I was round his house last week and saw the SX2 arrange page with all your audio tracks set out all ready for the vocal.

I think it's great how he managed to get that Xylaphone line into the chorus, and the Elephants stampeding sample he's got during the end is genius. Not sure about the bagpipes throughout but each to his own. .

Message 25/30             16-Sep-04  @  02:38 AM   -   RE: We wanna go LIVE!!!

Influx

I thought the harmonica solo fit pretty well and meshed beautifully with the ukelele

Message 26/30             16-Sep-04  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: We wanna go LIVE!!!

milan

lol! you nutters

well guess what... i wont have time to give you shit about it for few more weeks looks like (eek), so better sort out those bagpipes mate!!!

Message 27/30             17-Sep-04  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: We wanna go LIVE!!!

dARKSTATe

The cockney geezah that I got to rap over the top ain't to bad, and the Urdu vocal samples I've added are giving the tune some much needed depth I think..

Message 28/30             17-Sep-04  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: We wanna go LIVE!!!

milan

9 to 5ers with nothing better to do eh...

Message 29/30             07-Dec-04  @  11:08 AM   -   RE: We wanna go LIVE!!!

dARKSTATe

Just seen THIS

Now I've got two perfectly good midi controllers which work well enough and I'd be loth to sell them... AND I wanna BCF2000 (strictly for the studio not live work!)

But as I'm using Live now........

Shit must stop being a gear whore!!!

Message 30/30             07-Dec-04  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: We wanna go LIVE!!!

milan

yeah... you could use it to automate the Urdu samples on the extended 12" mix we were talking about

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)