aaa Why use software? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Why use software?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             04-May-98  @  06:57 PM   -   Why use software?

ist

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey krazy kats:

All right, I admit that I'm rather new to this. I just bought an ASR-X, it's pretty dope, no complaints. But I was thinking to myself, I've got a pretty sweet computer (PowerMac) that I should probably make use of. My friend tells me that software is the shit...I just have no clue where to begin...what should I use software for? In what areas is it better than hardware. I don't really worry about portability so much, I'm doing all my shit at home. Anyways, post away and help out this newbie!

Thanks all,
CK.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             05-May-98  @  12:23 AM   -   RE: Why use software?

Houseman

You'll want to concider the following:

Sound Editor: This will edit the sounds you sample. It will allow you to get rid of silence before and after the sound, change sample rate and bit size, maximize the loudness of the sound, fade in and fade out, loop your sound, etc.

Sequencer: This will allow you to write your music with much more ease. Arrangements will come along much quicker when using a computer sequencer. A 17" monitor is much better than a 2 or 3 line LCD.

Sofware Synths: Create some killer, dope, sounds with this and then send 'em to your sampler or sound editor for further editing and processing.

Hard Disk Recording: If your computer is fast enough.

Message 3/8             05-May-98  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: Why use software?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Sometimes I think I spend too much time editing samples only to have it make only a little bit of difference, and that it's better just to send the samples straight to the sampler and get on with the work.

Message 4/8             05-May-98  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: Why use software?

JohnDo

Fair enough but its another form of expression/originality that can sometimes come from messing with the editor.

Message 5/8             05-May-98  @  03:10 PM   -   RE: Why use software?

kilo

if you got the scsi option included with the asrx, the best thing would be to wire it up to the 'puter so you can use the pc's hard drive to access & archive all your samples !.....

Message 6/8             05-May-98  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: Why use software?

ist

Yes, I did get the SCSI option (ASR-X Turbo). I'm interested in getting a sequencer and maybe later I'll add on some software synths. I have a PowerMac with only 8MB of RAM and a small hard drive. 1) My ASR-X actually has 34MB of RAM, so it seems silly to upgrade my (although this is relatively inexpensive, and I'll do it if I have to). What do you think? 2) Also, what are some good sequencing programs (my friend likes StudioVisionPro but that's at a meagre $995, it's slightly out of my budget). 3) In order to have more storage space, should I get a Zip/Jaz/Syquest drive? (I only have about 10MB of memory left on my hard drive).

Thanks for all your help,
CK.

Message 7/8             06-May-98  @  12:35 AM   -   RE: Why use software?

Houseman

I have a Zip drive between the ASR-X and my PC. This works out great. I can sample with the X, save it to the Zip, edit the sample from the computer, and load the sample back into the X.

I use Logic for sequencing. Cubase VST is tempting, but from posts on this and other lists, it sounds very unstable on the PC. I don't know about the Mac.

If you are going to use your computer for sequencing, I would suggest upgrading your ram to at least 16mg. If you move up to hard disk recording, you will need at least 32mg of ram. Definitly get another HD. They're not that expensive, and you can still keep your old one.

Message 8/8             06-May-98  @  06:24 AM   -   RE: Why use software?

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

A buddy's got Studio Vision on Mac and complains about it to no end. He's getting Cubase soon.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)