aaa Supernova for Trance - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Supernova for Trance

Viewing all 47 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/47             03-Aug-99  @  06:16 PM   -   Supernova for Trance

hum.hum

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Is the Supernova a good choice for making epic trance (like Lange, Matt Darey, Future Breeze...). Today I have a Yamaha EX5R and would like to complete with something new.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/47             04-Aug-99  @  07:25 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

k

pretty ideal synth for trance i'd say - well, as good as anything out there

Message 3/47             04-Aug-99  @  07:38 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

Link?: Link

From what I've been told, the SN and the Ex-5 work extremely well together. It's definately the next synth that I pick up (I have the Ex-5 already).
Apparently, they compliement each other and where the Ex fails (sometimes quite a bit!), the SN picks up.

Si.

Message 4/47             04-Aug-99  @  09:14 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

odd

Buy some old analog synths to get different sounds. You get a TB-303 + MC-202 + Waldorf pulse for the same price. Or you could buy a Nord Modular... they Rock!

/Odd

Message 5/47             05-Aug-99  @  04:36 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

Mickey

Yeah - and apples suck and bananas rule.
While the NordModular is an excellent machine, it is by no means comparable to the Supernova. The Supernova has 8 parts with 6 independent effects and a total of 20 * 3 = 60 oscillators. Try this with the modular. Believe me, the Supernova is an excellent machine for trance!

Mickey / NovaStation admin.

Message 6/47             05-Aug-99  @  07:44 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

Steve

I've been seriously considering a Nord Modular for a long while, but time spent with the Supernova changed my mind completely. The Modular is cool for sound design and experimentation, for learning the nooks and crannies of synthesis; but the Supernova is more of a musician's _instrument_ for playing (for me, at least) than the NM.

The best thing Novation could do for themselves would be to get more of these units out on store floors; there's no way to even begin to understand the Supernova's appeal without spending time with an actual instrument.

Steve

Message 7/47             05-Aug-99  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

k

yes Odd, you could... and for the same money you'd get 3 analog monosynths & no effects.... and whilst the 303 & 202 are great little units, who uses a 303 or 202 in trance that much nowadays ?....

Message 8/47             05-Aug-99  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

hum.hum

Good point K.
Iīm tired of people trying to make me buy two old synths instead of one new. They always leave out the fact that you have to get external effects to make them sound okey. And even then you donīt have the same power as a new synth.

Message 9/47             07-Aug-99  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

odd

Well it all depends on how professional setup you want. Why buy a huge unit with a specific character to its sound (as all synths) while you can buy smaller units with different character instead. Sure you get effects on all parts, but the effects in the supernova isnt pro (in my opinion). OS3 beta 10 is still buggy (distortion sound can be heard when tweeking frequency knob and playing certain programs, fast velo changes lags). The idea about buying old analog syths is that its a cheap way to get different character to the sound. A problem though is the ability to midi it, so maybe thinking again thats not a good buy. Why not go for a minimodular + waldorf pulse + a cheap wavetable box?

Despite all my critisism about the Supernova I love it, but If I had the money today I would buy a Nova or a 8080.

The Modular can deliver some really nasty hard sound that the supernova dont even come close to, but the supernova has a softer smoother sound and is perfect for pads. I did a comparison of then both using "Vanilla" sounds and tweeking the filters. When reaching the full turn of the Supernovas filter knobb it sounded less clear than the modulars full turn. Ok the supernova has more outs 4 balanced) than the modular (2 balanced) and it has more effects (the modular lacks delay and reverb but has the others) but you cant put external sounds through the supernova. And how about... say... a 8 osc synth with 48db fiter? The modular has almost unlimited power. Its a synth for people that want to make sounds that havent been heard yet (who wants to sound like everybodey else?)

"While the NordModular is an excellent machine, it is by no means comparable to the Supernova."

I dont buy that argument sorry...

I have a Supernova, Pulse+, Nord modular, mc-202, tb-303, teebee mk3, juno 106, k2000 and have had some other gear over the years, but no synth even comes close to the power of my lovely modular.

Thats my 11 cents
Happy tweeking all!
// Odd

Message 10/47             07-Aug-99  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

Odd

"The Supernova has 8 parts with 6 independent effects and a total of 20 * 3 = 60 oscillators. Try this with the modular."

I dont want to be an asshole or anything or make anyone angry but Im just curious...

Wich oscilators do you mean Mickey?
The supernova has 3 Osc / part and has 8 parts.
8 parts * 3 Osc = 24 Osc

One REALLY good thing about the Supernova is that you can fast and easy tweek a usable sound from "vanilla" or "template sound" if you like.

// Odd

Message 11/47             07-Aug-99  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

jesus swallows

3 osc per voice (not part), 20 voice (in the standard version) gives 3*20 = 60 osc. 44 voices in the expanded version is 3*44 = 132 osc plus noise gen, 2*xmod per voice.

Message 12/47             08-Aug-99  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

sam

I'm sorry, but the SN is practically built for trance. It has trance oozing out of it. I use it for trance related things all the time but.. (and here's the really good bit) I met a bloke recently in PMT music in Essex (uk) who has just been signed to the Ministry of Sound, and he's got a track out on their new album "Clubbers guide to Trance" under the name 'Cassidy' and practically the whole thing is made using a Supernova. So how about that. Buy a supernova, write a top tune, get signed and release it on one of the biggest trance releases to date. So what's stopping you now..

Message 13/47             08-Aug-99  @  10:13 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

Odd

I admit I was wrong about the amount of Osc in the Supernova. Sorry about that Mickey.

I still think that its EASYER to make interesting music with different synths. Look at the majority of the trance/goa trance artists. They use a lot of different equipment.

Happy tweeking all!

// Odd

Message 14/47             08-Aug-99  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

k

ha ha ha... but... is that the so called 'Trance' thats going around now that is basically HOUSE with some cheezy old 'rave' synth stabs & sounds over the top that theyve dragged out of the sample box??....
i cant understand how this is suddenly TRANCE... its just a travesty - big corps like Ministry have realised that Trance is like an un-exploited 'buzzword' and are busily releasing crappy old house beats to con people into buying more Cd's... trance my arse !!... its nothing like trance... TRANCE is a LONG established style (with sub-genres) thats been around for over 10 years, and how anyone can compare the cheeze thats out now to flog a few crappy Ibiza albums with REAL TRANCE is beyond me - Is it trance?... is it fuck...!!

Message 15/47             08-Aug-99  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

davepape

Newbie post:

I've just spent an afternoon playing with a SN. It's going to be fine for trance. Odd's definitely got a piont though- the SN sounds beautiful, rich, silky, but always quite clean and controlled. I've already got a Freebass which I crank up until it hisses, squawks and explodes dirtily. Different strokes, and you're denying yourself possibilities if you don't accept there's room for both.

Chart "trance" is crap. Always funny how you hate stuff that's ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE like music you love, more than stuff that's totally UNLIKE the music you love. Competition, I guess.

Message 16/47             08-Aug-99  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

davepape

I just thought- have all these nice & clean multi-timbral analogue modelling synths CREATED the foul monster that is chart "trance" music?

Uggghhhhh, maybe I'll buy a Stylophone and a soldering iron instead.

Message 17/47             09-Aug-99  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

volley

I'm currently on the lookout for something to complement my TR-Rack (see thread "Nova vs SN"), and since the TR-Rack is excellent at soft stuff, I'm looking for something harder. After reading this thread, I realized that the SN might NOT be the right thing for me. However, after fiddling with the TR-Rack's icky menu interface, I want something as straight on as the SN. Since I can't seem to find anything else, and since the SN after all DOES have a wonderful sound (ie, it may not be a _complement_ to the TR)... any recommendations or pointers, folks?

Message 18/47             12-Aug-99  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

alan5

Hey Kilo gotta agree with you there about all this current cheezy trance shite.
CD`s like Best Trance Album in the World EVER,Now thats What I call Trance etc are just a load of commercial fucking shite.

Message 19/47             14-Aug-99  @  08:14 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

atom999

.....yeah Kilo,right!
and about 50% of that fuck done with rebirth,or something...

Message 20/47             14-Aug-99  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

shogun

So what's your idea of "real" trance then. I'm not trying to start an argument, I would just really love to know. The stuff i have heard that is suposed to be trance i loved, so i would like to know what all of you consider good, classic trance.

Message 21/47             17-Aug-99  @  09:33 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

Jasper

Stuff I used to think was trance (going back a few years), was like, well... trancey.. You could have a bit of a smoke and really relax listening to some 10-15 min tracks that would evolve really slowly.. Great with acid and stuff.. real smokers tunes, you know what I mean ;)

I dunno about names maybe 'man with no name'?.. later stuff gets more hectic but still has that class programming that a lot of current trance doesn't have.. Like Halucinogens album, there's a track that starts of on 3/4 time and changes to 4/4 over 4 bars... fucking class.. I've never heard it done so smoothly on a sequencer.. and the guy basically set the standards for a lot of artists to rip off.

Then there was goa trance, TIP, Return to the Source (great times   )... good stuff.. a lot of the goa artists are doind acid techno now which is closer to original trance than Gatecrasher stuff is. IMO.

Message 22/47             17-Aug-99  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

k

in a word... Mindfield... Tsuyoshi etc... im not too up on the trance thing as i used to be since i stopped taking acid (heh heh)... however, what i mean is the so-called 'Trance' that is going round the corporate clubs, the sorta thing they are toting at Ibiza this year as the 'new' sound... it just is NOT Trance, even remotely trance... to me it is more like a variation of hard-house.. i mean it is (what i've heard), like a house beat with some old rave sounds, and some analog over it...

real trance to me is like dying (commercially-club-wise) since breweries & deodorants and god fucking knows what else took over the club scene in the last 5 years... most trance nights got bumped, cos simple ... trance people dont fucking drink booze ..end of story.... so the clubs were not making money at the bar... i feel this 'New-trance' is like a creation 'buzzword' of the corporate clubs.... i think they rely very much on 'New' trendy buzzwords and all that, and they figured, shit... trance is the last un-exploited well known dance style... so they took the name, and that is it...

some of the good recent trance ive heard is so far removed from that toss, it's as dissimilar as house is to heavey metal !!...

Message 23/47             18-Aug-99  @  03:45 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

morb999

Hi.

I used to be massively into Trance in the early nineties....check out anything on the eye-q label ,especially their beyond the eye compilations. Also Rising high were a top label for trance and did seven volumes called "The secret life of Trance Vol...", these are well worth checking out as is anything by "Union Jack" or "Baby Doc". These are all quite old acts and therefore they might prove difficult to find, but its worth it.

Before I go Id like to say that the stuff pretending to be trance at the moment e.g: Veracoocha, System F, is superb....it may not be trance (which it isnt) but if you are in a packed nightclub in the early hours of the morning and one of these tunes comes on the place just goes crazy.

MORBIUS

Message 24/47             18-Aug-99  @  06:19 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

volley

Gotta second you, Morbius, when it comes to Union Jack. Bought their "There Will Be No Armageddon" (?) a couple of years ago, and it's still one of my favourites...

Anyone knows if they've done anything else since then, perhaps under a different name?

Message 25/47             18-Aug-99  @  09:54 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

k

maybe the place goes crazy simply cos it's a change from the evenings pattern - so what WOULD you call it?... if we all agree it aint trance ... what do you think is the nearest style you could associate it with ?....

Message 26/47             18-Aug-99  @  10:17 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

Maarten

Link?:  Link

morb999,excuse my correcting you on one little thing.Baby Doc isn't old,
I've heard his live set ,like, two weeks ago in Amsterdam .Fuck ,to this very day I find myself wake up from a wet dream ,tony isn't GOD but
Baby Doc is.

Message 27/47             18-Aug-99  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

k

id also say, ok, yes... perhaps im overeacting in my abhorance, it isnt actually 'crap' music this new trance I admit (wether I like it or not personally)... but i think I'm reating to this because I see it as quite dangerous this whole issue.... suddenly we have the mainstream punters and clubbers told by the mainstream club-media, 'THIS is Trance'... and i fear for the REAL trance artists... they have been years in the genre, supporting it, creating the clubs, events, labels venues etc... if suddenly corporate club entities hi-jack the Genre-name that might be bad for the real trance scene... eventually, the majority of the club market see's this new style as 'Trance', then where does that leave artists who create 'Real' trance ??.... suddenly they have a music style/scene with no Genre anymore...

what should be happening, is that they should be now reaping the rewards of years of dedication & hard work.... rather like perhaps a group of people spend years developing a product, and a corp comes along and steals the name.... i guess that is where im coming from, sure, these 'new-trance' toons aren't aweful perse.... but... to me it smaks of drug-baron clashes... the corporate dance scene is fuelled by the alchohol barons.... it is a drug... and THAT cannot be argued against... i think that in the wierdest off-beat way, you might be seeing a genre-name hijacked, turning those punters on to boozing, which is heavily encouraged by the corporate club scene... and dont tell me it isnt, just witness the sad debacle that is Ibiza... so new young punters who might sway to real trance and *IT'S* prefered drugs/philosophy, are going to be encouraged towards an alternative drug...booze, and the whole attitude that goes with it

interestingly, and amusingly... i caught this TV show with Guests: Boy George, The guy from the Pet-Shop-Boys, & Tricky ....(a few months back).... they showed a clip of Ibiza footage, then asked them all "that must bring back memories for you all huh??"... none of them had been to Ibiza !!!.... they asked Tricky if he'd been to Ibiza... he said words to the effect of:..

"no.. and i WOULDN'T go there cos it scares me, all those pissed-up people roaming around are dangerous, and I would be scared of them beating me up"

alchoholism and the rise of lager-loutism is to me the saddest part of the degradation of the whole industry over the last few years... youve got clubs/corporations like Ministry, floating on the stock exchange, advising as part of the Government's official 'Youth advisory group' (which deals alot with drug issues too), who are actively promoting smart-alchohol drinks, and boozing in general via sponsorship.... really, unless youve been clubbing for *years* you wont see this, but the rise in alchoholism in the club scene over the last years is frightening.... the whole point of the club-scene a few years back was that it was EXACTLY the scene to go to to AVOID that whole group of dangerous pissed up football crowd, cos they would be over at the mainstream bollox local 'disco' listening to chart-pop-club sounds.... now, they have taken over the clubs proper... as the last years have passed, i've gradually reduced my clubbing bit-by-bit by bit, cos of this rise in dark-side vibes I keep encountering... I DON'T like to find myself surrounded by a gang of 10 shaven-headed football fans taking the piss out of my clothes or hair when I'm out on the dancefloor, tripping, having a good time.. and in the end, i got fed up having to work hard to contain 'bad-trips' due to these incidences....the REAL trance scene/clubs/venues is one of the few places you can go now where these people DON'T go..... so if that scene gets killed off.....??

i think you gotta look at the whole issue VERY broadly... cos the demise of the alternative cultures/styles also leads to the demise of a vibe... i know personaly of people who have moderated their whole philosophy of life and respect for other people simply by becoming absorbed into the alternative dance scene, it's drugs & philosophy.... and by doing that, coming into contact with alternative more peaceful attitudes to life and other people which has turned them from being a potentialy dangerous aggressive person who liked to kick the fuck out of someone after a night out on the piss to a person who respects others and their beliefs even tho they are alien to themselves... all that, simply by absorbing into a scene that promotes these values...

perhaps I'm nuts?... but.... maybe I'm not....

Message 28/47             18-Aug-99  @  11:20 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

hum.hum

Strange how a forum can change.
If you read at the top youīll see what this forum was ment to be about. I didnīt want this to turn into something about philosophy, clubscenes or drugs. This is an argument that always will come up. It was the same thing five or ten years ago. The artist you today say are the "real" artists were then accused of making "crap" music. Mayby you should wake up and realise that things change. Five years from now you are going to sit and complain about how people donīt make as good music anymore as they did back in 1999.
I will end this and just say. If you donīt like the music, then donīt listen to it. And the idea that people are being tricked into buying a record by the big companies are just stupid. I donīt think that anyone would buy a record that they didnīt like the music on.

Message 29/47             18-Aug-99  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

chris

K's comments on the scene are spot on, but to answer your original question, assuming you mean "the thing that is trance that was once euro house", yes, the SN will do the job. I would guess that, along with the Virus, that is what most of the Gatecrasher stuff is made with. Don't let the presets put you off, you can make some excellent "parpy" sounds as Mixmag call them.

Just out of interest, I first heard of Lange when he got on the reader's demo's part of the Future Music cover CD about 4 years ago. According to the write-up, he just used an M1, a BassStation and an S950. The tune is not too different from what he's doing now. The moral of the story is, it ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it.

Message 30/47             18-Aug-99  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

CK

K,

I think you've got it right, I saw that program on C4, Neil Tennant summed it up in the phrase "its become an institution", and that's very sad.

I was at the Lizard Eclipse festival last week, very good, no sponsorship unlike some of the others. Great music including some really good Goa Trance/Acid Techno stuff in one tent. The people were great too. Just a pity about the Weather! I think they run it every year (the festival not the Eclipse), worth a visit if this year was anything to go by.

For anyone who hasn't heard them, both the 'Man with No Name' albums are excellent, he really knows how to put tracks together. The slow tracks on Earth Moving the Sun are really great.

Message 31/47             18-Aug-99  @  09:03 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

k

actually, reading back afterwards i think im out of order to criticise so much, sorry about that, i suppose it may be relevent in part to those trying to define trance for the sake of the original question, but i cant criticise the actual musics peoples business... the artists do their toons, and they get classified as whatever..... sorry, about that if it come over slaggy/bitchy.... been a hard week, bit uptite...

Message 32/47             19-Aug-99  @  03:43 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

Maarten

Even still,I agrea with you.Am I bitchy then ? no,just hounest.

Message 33/47             19-Aug-99  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

morb999

Hi.

I agree with your comments K, I think the danger in all of this is the categorising of music, like you said theres nothing wrong with the actual music its just the category its defined as, this will always be a contentious issue and as long as the marketing people insist on neatly pigeon-holeing everything to make things easier to sell I'm afraid that will always be the case.

PS: Maarten, I know Baby Doc is still going, I meant that his early nineties hard trance stuff might be difficult to get hold off, sorry for any confusion.

PPS: Id also like to know if Union Jack are doing anything under a different name these days.

PPPS: I love my Supernova and will happily testify to its ability to create old school Trance music as well as the music currently going under that title.

Message 34/47             28-Aug-99  @  09:01 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

sitarsong

Hello K,

And everyone else. Just got a Supernova. Awesome thing it is. Love reading the chat here too.

I'm new to all of this stuff. What is some great Trance music I can listen to?

Also I live in New York City. Am slowly building up a studio and writing music. Don't know what genre it all fits into. It's just music for now. Went to see Orbital in NYC. Love their music. Anyway if anyone is looking for someone to work with in putting some serious fun stuff together that people can dance as well as listen to - in NYC - let me know. I'll soon be ready to work with someone. Thanks to all for your insights, fun, and helpfulness. A British friend in NYC got me involved in all of this computer/synth stuff. Figures doesn't it. I'm havin' a blast.

Sitarsong

Message 35/47             28-Aug-99  @  03:09 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

realtrance

For trance try Miles Davis, Live/Evil. Everything since then that calls itself trance is basically second-rate disco without a good beat.  

Message 36/47             28-Aug-99  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

sitarsong

Thanks,

That was quick. Couldn't have asked for a better answer. I have that recording and many others of Miles. "Big Fun" is great. I've performed with the tabla player from that recording, i.e. Badal Roy many times (check my e-mail name for a hint as to what I played).

I guess what I'm looking for is what many people call Trance Music today without going through a collection of single-dimensional (more or less) dance music which claims to be Trance as K had mentioned. It could just be that Miles is the only answer that satisfies.

fude 4 thot :-0

Thanks again,
sitarsong (oops)

Message 37/47             29-Aug-99  @  08:11 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

sitarsong

Hello K

responding to Aug 18. I don't think your nuts at all.

I'm in New York City and have often heard about the drugs and designer drinks that go around clubs. Not a good thing for anyone much less young people. I've been a pro musician in several genres for most of my life and am new to Synth/Dance music of any kind. I love this stuff. Sitting at the computer making music gets both sides of my brain going, (which at this point means both brain cells). I went to see Orbital in New York. They were the featured group. The Crystal Method and Lo Fidelity All Stars also performed. What I experienced in the packed crowd was wonderful. A lotta young people being really great to eachother. Taking turns massaging one-anothers' shoulders. Hugging. Stuff like that.

I guess what I want to say is that we musicians can really have a positive effect on people. I feel it is part of our responsibility. I don't know Trance and hope a couple more people here can point me in the right direction for this genre. I think that your concerns are all too real. At the same time as humhum said, things will always change. I think we all have this incredibly powerful tool called the Supernova at our disposals which will help us to create music more immediately and powerfully than ever before. It's great to have a conscience and philosophy to go along with the total control over effects for each part in a multitimbral setup. My hat is off to this conversation. I think I like Supernova people.

Message 38/47             29-Aug-99  @  11:35 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

k

yeah, I've got a good Union-Jack track on an ambient trance album, it's that one where it uses the 'water-slapping' riddims of some s'american amazon tribe (or somewhere) and the track is built around that... mate of mines got the original from where the audio 'water-slapping' was lifted, interesting 'ethnic' album..... that track is on Phantasm's - 'Surrender to the Vibe' album ...

Message 39/47             29-Aug-99  @  02:24 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

sitarsong

Thanks K. I'll see if I can find it.

Later

Message 40/47             29-Aug-99  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

realtrance

sitarsong,

if you've played with Badal Roy my hat is truly off to you -- I sit here awestruck, and wishing I could give you a more up-to-date answer.

I think I was in shock when I went to mp3.com, checked out the dance/electronica section, checked out what people thought was "hot trance" and was amazed at the banal gloop I ended up with (sigh). I am sincerely hoping 'tis not representative of the genre.

I come from ye good olde days, obviously, where radio shows like "Music from the Heart of Space" in Berkeley, CA (KPFA? if I remember?) defined "trance" for me (along with jazz, of course). I was expecting some sort of evolution/revolution of same in the current scene but haven't found it yet. Closest would be The Orb but they're old , maybe Autechre or Aphex Twin would count, also check out Boards of Canada (kind of "world music meets electronica on a dark and rainy night...?") for a start. And the main point of this reference list is so twenty referees can now prove me wrong and give you the _real_ scoop.  

Best,

realtrance

Message 41/47             29-Aug-99  @  04:04 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

sitarsong

Thank you realtrance.

Never been to Berkeley but I hear ya.
This is a great site. People really respond. I hope I can live up to the spirit here.

Yea. Badal is a great guy. Lots of fun and we go back together quite a few years. He's been gigging and recording a lot over the last several years with Ornette Coleman, as well as playing with a pair of guitar players who I believe are from South America. I haven't been in touch with Badal for 2 or 3 years. He is a lot of fun and we have spent most of our times together raggin' on eachother (between sets), always in good fun. It was always a good experience for me.

So I'm gonna check out your recommendations and see what I can dig up. Thanks so much. We'll await the referees for the final decision and then see if the fight was fixed. I really appreciate you and K getting back to me on this. Can't tell you how excited I am about the creative things everyone is doing. And I'm right there in the mix, no pun intended.

sitarsong

Message 42/47             31-Aug-99  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

k

just on the original post... i quickly knocked upa sorta hard-house beat based trance thing as i was testing and setting up my studio and just running thru things.... i played it on the phone to a mate, and he said: .... "that is the sorta music i was listeing to when i lived in Goa for 3 months..".... so yeah, it'll do classic goa ok..

that Surrender to the Vibe' album is absoluteluy superb.. Phantasm are a great label... aint got the number right now, but they are down at Queenstown raod in battersea (sw11??).... that surrender to the vibe album incidently is one of the best mixed/mastered albums ive heard... cos it's al ambient stuff, the editing has to be really good to merge the material... and.. check it... it was mixed on a Korg soundlink system by... Phill !! - (Novation)... when he was with korg i beleive... absolutely SUPERB sound on that album... and on Fill Your Head With Phantasm... it aint cutting edge trance now, but great stuff... there is some superb trance music out there... some really great work has gone into the better tracks.... some of the synth detail is excellent..

Message 43/47             31-Aug-99  @  04:15 AM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

morb999

Thanks for the tip k. I'll check out the compilation you mentioned.

BTW "On the Corner" by Miles Davis is worth checking out as well..that guy was waaaaay ahead of his time.

Anyone interested in the origins of trance really should check out "CAN" especially their debut album "Monster Movie" I think its called.

MORBIUS

PS: Im not the slightest bit jealous that sitarsong has played with Badal Roy.

PPS: the above statement is a big fat lie!!!!

Message 44/47             31-Aug-99  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

p.macdonald

Great to see people are interested in
Trance music.

It got a bit hard for a while but the
latest compilations finally recognise
the art.

I personally like the more commercial
side of melodic trance. Its actually
I think harder to come up with great
lines in the Trace genre than to
construct a classic song. ( I know
many would disagree but there you
go.)

I have mastered 6 trance albums for
Phantasam and & listened to a lot of
different stuff.

Medicine Drum and Union Jack and many
others come to mind as great pioneers
and continue to deliver great stiff.

I think a great line is better (
almost ) than a great sound. But a
great sound does help.

We at Novation strive to create
products that create the sounds you
want. ( I am trying to do it all the
time ) and I would like to hear what
you think a great trance sound is!!

I personally think the Supernova/Nova
is an ideal vehicle for this type of
sound as you have all the effects to
play with live as well as the synth
itself.

Hey any ideas about what sounds you
guys want...let me know

Message 45/47             31-Aug-99  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

realtrance

Well, basically I thought I'd died and gone to heaven (and I don't even believe such a thing exists! sorry... ) when I got my Supernova. Thank you for this splendiferous instrument.

I agree with you about a great line vs. a great sound -- I was listening to "Talking Timbuktu" today (Ali Farka Toure with Ry Cooder, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Jim Keltner and John Patitucci, Rykodisc/World Circuit) and Toure's lines are _amazing_ on this album. You could certainly do worse than spend some time listening to this music and thinking about how to respond to it with a Supernova.  

Personally, I'd love to see more in the way of electronic plucked solo string sounds (Karplus & Strong here we come!), a la African and Indian folk music both -- not _emulations_ mind you of a tabla or kora, but something that would, say, play along well in a mix as a comp, or counterpoint, for someone soloing on same (comp and cp wd. of course be _very_ different sounds). Does this make any sense?

rt

Message 46/47             31-Aug-99  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

sitarsong

On the Corner. Great album. No need to be jealous Morbius. We all have our moments. Hopefully greater moments ahead for the whole lot of us. I'm getting an education about Trance from this thread.

Here's a MIDI echo of what Realtrance said above Phil. Thank you for this splendiferous instrument.

Later everyone. have a great day, whatever time zone your in.

Message 47/47             07-Sep-99  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: Supernova for Trance

Goa303

!! K ! !

About your long post (18-august)...

while reading it, I suddenly started to jizz into my pants. Really I can't agree more than that. The natural frequency of your post must be in symetric mode with my brainwaves, I was rezonating !   What can I say, It really shows that you're part of the old jedi masters...
uh well you know what I mean !

Viewing all 47 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

There are 47 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)